Dayne beams officially requests trade

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Why is it unfair? It happens to all clubs, you win some, you lose some.

If the Lions aren't going to be able to come up with a fair trade and Beams refuses to consider a move to GC if they can come up with a better deal then Collingwood are within their rights to hold him to his contract for 2015.

Collingwood should be open to a fair trade but they shouldn't get bent over - Beams is one of the best young mids in the comp and only 24, Collingwood won't be giving him up for one early pick.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd say #3, behind Cox and Sandi in 09. Can't think who else had a better ruck year that year. Possibly Clarke and Mcintosh but still I'd say 3. Certainly not as low as 8.
3 other ruckmen (Sandi, Clarke and McIntosh) made the AA squad while Jolly didn't + Cox was better but injured IIRC, so at best he was around 5th. Ryder/Jamar fairly comparable as well.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Your advantage is that hes signed - but scare brisbane off by being too demanding and they might skip the deal - you are then faced with an unhappy player who might quit, sulk and not play well or leave when his contract is up and you get sfa

We lost ebert for sfa to port as they held the whip hand.

You picked up ball for sfa as you held the whip hand snakes and ladders etc
Ebert....he wasn't even in WCE best 22 in 2011...he was dropped for the finals.

Ebert, a young fringe player who was out of contract, not rated by WCE as best 22 at the time who wanted to go home and could have walked into pre-season draft, still ended up netting pick 28 and 49.

Ball, Collingwood offered the Saints pick 30 and alternate players...it was St.Kilda not wanting to see Ball end up at a rival top4 club mean they preferred he go for nothing...we picked him up with pick 30 anyway...ie market value that was initially offered.

Not sure what ur whip hand crap is about, WCE got fair compensation for a bloke who wasn't in best 22 and the Saints opted not to take it.

Importantly, neither player remained under contract like Beams.

Cosmic_Lion

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
3 other ruckmen (Sandi, Clarke and McIntosh) made the AA squad while Jolly didn't + Cox was better but injured IIRC, so at best he was around 5th. Ryder/Jamar fairly comparable as well.

Even so, 5th best ruckman in the competition I think is not a bad effort. For example, consider this year, who were the best 5 this year? Maybe Sandi, Jacobs, Ryder, Goldstein and Martin? As a guess. Essendon are currently demanding pick 16 + something else for Ryder. So good rucks don't come cheap.

Please don't try and play down Jolly in 09. He really was one of the best rucks in the comp.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Even so, 5th best ruckman in the competition I think is not a bad effort. For example, consider this year, who were the best 5 this year? Maybe Sandi, Jacobs, Ryder, Goldstein and Martin? As a guess. Essendon are currently demanding pick 16 + something else for Ryder. So good rucks don't come cheap.

Please don't try and play down Jolly in 09. He really was one of the best rucks in the comp.
16+something else...Sounds suspiciously like 14+46.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Refusing to trade Beams is not without risk.

Collingwood's best outcome will be to convince Beams to stay beyond 2015. If they cannot do that then they'll probably lose him at the end of next year for nothing.

I don't understand why most are upset at receiving Brisbane first 2 picks? pick 4 and Brisbane second rounder is more than fair for Beams.

Cosmic_Lion

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
16+something else...Sounds suspiciously like 14+46.

I'm not arguing that point. I thought that wasn't too bad. Collingwood won (because of the go home factor of course) but not by a whole lot.

So...Pick 14+46 for one of the best 4-5 rucks in the comp.

Whats wrong with 4+24 for one of the best 10-20 mids??

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not arguing that point. I thought that wasn't too bad. Collingwood won (because of the go home factor of course) but not by a whole lot.

So...Pick 14+46 for one of the best 4-5 rucks in the comp.

Whats wrong with 4+24 for one of the best 10-20 mids??
1. Beams is 4 years younger
2. Would much rather have a top 10-20 mid than a 4-5 ruckman. Rucks are often quite similar unless you're a real stand out like Cox or Sandilands.

Back