Season 2015..

Jan 7, 2014
Well now that 2014 is done and dusted and albury have claimed another flag, lets put that behind us and move on to 2015..

Great to see Myrtleford pick up a couple of blokes on twitter tonight...

Also announced that Jeremy O'Brien will throw his hat into the coaching ring, taking the reigns at Tungamah

Get it forward

All Australian
Nov 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Well now that 2014 is done and dusted and albury have claimed another flag, lets put that behind us and move on to 2015..

Great to see Myrtleford pick up a couple of blokes on twitter tonight...

Also announced that Jeremy O'Brien will throw his hat into the coaching ring, taking the reigns at Tungamah

Will that be first of many leaving yarra or can they keep the group together again?

Who will Albury pick up to bolster an already jam packed side?

Can another side outside the top three really push in 2015?

Frank Lazalenis

Debutant
May 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Will that be first of many leaving yarra or can they keep the group together again?

Who will Albury pick up to bolster an already jam packed side?

Can another side outside the top three really push in 2015?
You here all sorts of rumors this time of year. Albury are mant to be gaining a few a grade guns to add too there already imposing team.
Lavi should challenge again. Be interesting to see how yarra go in the off season. whether its the end off an era or they keep producing.
I think corowa will again get better.
rovers there abouts with magpies at this stage.
Alot of water to go under the bridge before a ball is bounced in 2015.

Jan 7, 2014
There were early suggestions Grant Weekes was heading to Corowa but I do believe he has signed elsewhere..

Speaking to a wang rovers player this week and he said not to expect, boumann or Mulligan back, and doubts on archer as well

Sep 22, 2008
Moama
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There were early suggestions Grant Weekes was heading to Corowa but I do believe he has signed elsewhere..

Speaking to a wang rovers player this week and he said not to expect, boumann or Mulligan back, and doubts on archer as well

Asked Mulligan at the VFL grand final if he was going back, he said he is 'well n truley' retired now.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Wodonga Raiders have announced 2 more recruits from Southport, be it Todd Grayson and Jake Goldsack. Both these guys will be gun players in the O&M.
Grayson in particular...... was on the Suns list 3 seasons ago and imo was unlucky to be delisted. Is a gun player.
So Raiders have so far recruited these 2 plus Derrick (Palm Beach) and got Heta back..... this surely will help their results in 2015.

Time to relax

Team Captain
May 8, 2009
Sunshine
AFL Club
Carlton
Whisper in Melbourne is Albury signed two legitimate guns. Good luck to any defence this season, if you thought last season was hard to stop.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have it on good authority that Albury will soon announce a young kid with GWS senior experience who will be a midfielder/forward.
They are an amazing club at signing top shelf recruits. More to come apparently. The 7 point Grand Final win must have been too close to comfort.

Frank Lazalenis

Debutant
May 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Rumour has it that after originally thinking he may be leaving Setanta is still on board. They've signed a fair few already though. Been very active in the recruiting stakes.
Word is they have signed Ryan Hon and Elliot Powell. Why on earth these guys would go to albury i beyond me. Both very talented young players but they will be there to just clog up the twos when they could of gained senior exposure at other clubs.
The Albury train is gaining momentum and its getting way out of control. There is not a hope in hell for most o and m clubs to compete. Of course there great at signing top end talent. why do you think that is? I hear the other day they offered a guy 200 a reserve grade game to stay. PLEASE. Its like yarra got them and all of a sudden they say bugger these guys we will show them and go wam wam wam. Poaching from other o and m clubs, paying overs for guys that ain't worth that much just so they don't go to opposition clubs. There are a lot of volunteers and hard working people getting jack of getting done over by Albury time and time again.
The bottom line is they have more money and pulling power than just about any country club in this country and they use it to there absolute best and its ruining the ovens and murray in more ways than one.

CHUCKY4

Senior List
Aug 5, 2007
Thurgoona
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Balldale Magpies
Word is they have signed Ryan Hon and Elliot Powell. Why on earth these guys would go to albury i beyond me. Both very talented young players but they will be there to just clog up the twos when they could of gained senior exposure at other clubs.
The Albury train is gaining momentum and its getting way out of control. There is not a hope in hell for most o and m clubs to compete. Of course there great at signing top end talent. why do you think that is? I hear the other day they offered a guy 200 a reserve grade game to stay. PLEASE. Its like yarra got them and all of a sudden they say bugger these guys we will show them and go wam wam wam. Poaching from other o and m clubs, paying overs for guys that ain't worth that much just so they don't go to opposition clubs. There are a lot of volunteers and hard working people getting jack of getting done over by Albury time and time again.
The bottom line is they have more money and pulling power than just about any country club in this country and they use it to there absolute best and its ruining the ovens and murray in more ways than one.
True, we should all feel blessed we have a VFL side running around in the 3 team O and M comp (the others all look like Murray or Riverina league standard) and they obviously don't pay they're players from the gate takings.:p

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
To make it more even Leagues need to enforce no alcohol sold or present at games & no gate takings, a cap on money's recieved from sponsorship.
Then Clubs won't be afford paying players ridiculous mounts of money.
Clubs will need to then build a good culture to attract players rather than throwing cash at everyone, & look after their juniors.
There's very little development at local level because clubs just try & buy success instead.
The money saved can be spent on development coaches rather than paying overs for a high profile coach that just rants n raves & is successful due the main fact the club gives him an open cheque to recruit opposed to success stemming from his coaching ability.

Local players normally have family friends come to along to watch n spend money at the club, how many recruits that drives hours to the games bring the family n grandparents n neighbours etc to watch?
Fev's a different story cos he probably pays for himself with the crowd he draws, but you need the big crowd to pay for him if he isn't at the club being payed big money.
It's not big money for him considering the lucritive AFL contracts he was previously receiving buts it's big money for Local Leagues.

Fruit

Premiership Player
Jul 24, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
To make it more even Leagues need to enforce no alcohol sold or present at games & no gate takings, a cap on money's recieved from sponsorship.
Then Clubs won't be afford paying players ridiculous mounts of money.
Clubs will need to then build a good culture to attract players rather than throwing cash at everyone, & look after their juniors.
There's very little development at local level because clubs just try & buy success instead.
The money saved can be spent on development coaches rather than paying overs for a high profile coach that just rants n raves & is successful due the main fact the club gives him an open cheque to recruit opposed to success stemming from his coaching ability.

Local players normally have family friends come to along to watch n spend money at the club, how many recruits that drives hours to the games bring the family n grandparents n neighbours etc to watch?
Fev's a different story cos he probably pays for himself with the crowd he draws, but you need the big crowd to pay for him if he isn't at the club being payed big money.
It's not big money for him considering the lucritive AFL contracts he was previously receiving buts it's big money for Local Leagues.

When I read your first sentence I thought you were being sarcastic but as I kept reading I thought what a great suggestion. We need to keep a "local" or "community" focus on our comp or people will lose interest (if they haven't already).

wizards

Cancelled
Nov 12, 2008
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Whilst i agree with about half of what you are saying Frank, good on these guys who are going to the strongest club & trying to push themselves to EARN a senior gig (thats how i read it in the paper today) instead of going to a bottom 5 side where they hand senior spots out like raffle tickets!!
And to answer your first question as to why Hon would go to Albury, i think Jamal O'Sullivan might have had a lot to do with it!!
I wish them the best of luck.

Heard Matt Mcdonald to the Raiders as well!!
Would be interesting to see how the guys at Bunton park react to that!!

head16

Team Captain
Apr 15, 2008
LPO
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I see Good Friday footy is back on the agenda. In my opinion it should never have been scrapped and should remain in the fixture for the next 4-6 years to give it a chance at establishing itself as an entertainment option for those interested on that day.

Personally I think the Easter fixture should be as simple as having the same teams play each other every year, with each team getting a home game every 2 years.

For example
Yarra v Corowa
Wang v Lavi (Good Friday)
North v Wodonga
Raiders v Albury
Myrtleford v Rovers

It would make sense if the 2 or 3 games in alb/wod are played on different days (Fri, Sat and Sunday) each year and same for wang. That way there's always a game in Albury, Wodonga, Wang every year and Myrt, Yarra and Corowa every second year. Based on the number of teams in each town I think that's fair enough.

Now I know that is very unlikely to ever happen, because there's something that says places like Yarra and Myrtleford get a home game each year.

Frank Lazalenis

Debutant
May 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Whilst i agree with about half of what you are saying Frank, good on these guys who are going to the strongest club & trying to push themselves to EARN a senior gig (thats how i read it in the paper today) instead of going to a bottom 5 side where they hand senior spots out like raffle tickets!!
And to answer your first question as to why Hon would go to Albury, i think Jamal O'Sullivan might have had a lot to do with it!!
I wish them the best of luck.

Heard Matt Mcdonald to the Raiders as well!!
Would be interesting to see how the guys at Bunton park react to that!!
Good luck to them but be hard seeing him play more than half the season in the ones at Albury. You could say that Brent piltz would've pushed him to north aswell. At the end of the day both guys will go and do their best.
I'm pretty sure the boys from Bunton Park park are worried about themselves and how they can improve. Wouldn't think to much would be said if Matt Macdonald signed on at the Raiders. Although might be interesting viewing when the play each other. Raiders certainly hooking in on the recruiting front.

pinocchio

Senior List
Apr 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wodonga Raiders have announced 2 more recruits from Southport, be it Todd Grayson and Jake Goldsack. Both these guys will be gun players in the O&M.
Grayson in particular...... was on the Suns list 3 seasons ago and imo was unlucky to be delisted. Is a gun player.
So Raiders have so far recruited these 2 plus Derrick (Palm Beach) and got Heta back..... this surely will help their results in 2015.
stuyd1 are you talking about the Jake Goldsmith that got dropped from Southport for the last 4 -5 games,

Clyde's mullet

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Phoenix
stuyd1 are you talking about the Jake Goldsmith that got dropped from Southport for the last 4 -5 games,
And the Todd Grayson, like Adam Flagg at GWS, who were never on an AFL list but did play for them prior to their entry to the AFL.

Back