Burley Vs Sherrin

Remove this Banner Ad

People have crack and Sandgropers and Croweaters often with good reason but I swear Victorians are the most insular and parochial people on the planet. I'd take a Sherrin if given the choice but anyone that thinks a top line Burley isn't a very good footy and the difference fairly marginal is an idiot.

I actually prefer a auskick or modifieds ( size 3 and 4) ball these days, spent the last 15 years kicking them with my kids and i like them, not enough weight in them obviously but you can still get a good torpie going.

Seriously though i prefer Sherrin if forced to choose.

Best spinning footy is a Ross Faulkner, more pointer and streamlined compared to Sherrin and Burley, Faulkner balls were used in the FDL through the 80's and 90's where I was a superstar for the West Footscray Roosters.

"Spear Faulkner" as one of my mates refers to them as :p

Burley was the chief ball maker for Sherrin.
Burley started his own company when he came to WA.
Despite andedotal comment to the contrary there is no difference between the balls as
independant tests have shown.
However there is a difference. How so?
The difference is in the colour. Yellow balls are bleached less so are more subtle and easier to kick.
Yellow balls also water log quicker. The WAFL uses the yellow Burley and the AFL use the red Sherrin.

Think you have that wrong, Faulkner was apprenticed to Sherrin in the early 1900's.

Anyway anyone interested in the history of the Australian football should read this.

http://www.boylesfootballphotos.net.au/article39-The-Same-Game-A-Different-Ball#s_-_Ross_Faulkner

Try the top grade Ross Faulkner. I've got one and it performs better than a three year old sherrin! Kicks straighter and spins well, the only draw back is that the yellow isn't dyed its kind of painted on and doesn't feel as nice in your hands as a Sherrin. So if your thinking of getting a top level leather footy give the Faulkner a shot for $80 less than the Sherrin. Hope this helped.

Try the top grade Ross Faulkner. I've got one and it performs better than a three year old sherrin! Kicks straighter and spins well, the only draw back is that the yellow isn't dyed its kind of painted on and doesn't feel as nice in your hands as a Sherrin. So if your thinking of getting a top level leather footy give the Faulkner a shot for $80 less than the Sherrin. Hope this helped.
Thanks Ross

I took this photo at West Perths home ground at Joondalup, had never heard of a Chesson before.

So we have Sherrins, Burleys and Faulkners and at some stage obviously Chessons.

Is there any other brands that people know of ?.

Edit ..... Burley Sekem bought Chesson and Rover (new one) although I am not sure of the year.

I've discussed Chesson before but never remembering getting an answer. It must've been bigger (or as big) as Burley back in the day, because I vaguely remember the occasion "kickin the Chesson" as a colloquialism. What's bizarre about the above picture is either West Pert are really dumb and trying to pass off an older footy as one from the last game at Leedy, or they somehow brought back a Chesson for that game (and the long abandoned WANFL acronym) for it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've discussed Chesson before but never remembering getting an answer. It must've been bigger (or as big) as Burley back in the day, because I vaguely remember the occasion "kickin the Chesson" as a colloquialism. What's bizarre about the above picture is either West Pert are really dumb and trying to pass off an older footy as one from the last game at Leedy, or they somehow brought back a Chesson for that game (and the long abandoned WANFL acronym) for it?

No, I reckon some one has just made a blue, I posted before that the signatures suggest around the early 1960's.

In fact on closer inspection it is actually the West Perth 1960 premiership team, zoom in at the top of the ball, it says premiers 1960

Ray Marinko etc etc

Complete and utter rubbish. I grew up with a Burley. I have owned many of each. In fact I have a Burley and a Sherrin in my garage. They are different. Always have been.

The burley is rounder and softer. The Sherrin is thinner and harder. Playing with a Burley barefoot was great when I was a kid. Not so with a Sherrin.

IMO the Sherrin is a better footy.

yep and agree, sherrin is better

I took this photo at West Perths home ground at Joondalup, had never heard of a Chesson before.

So we have Sherrins, Burleys and Faulkners and at some stage obviously Chessons.

Is there any other brands that people know of ?.

Edit ..... Burley Sekem bought Chesson and Rover (new one) although I am not sure of the year.

I remember the name Chesson from when I first started getting into footy in the mid 70's. Dont think I ever kicked one but definitely remember the name and it being a WA brand.

Ok did a bit of a search - from trove - just a picture but headline is - Chesson football approved by West Australian National Football League - its from 1969
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/12204696

and this from the Burley Sekem website.

http://www.sekem.com.au/content/page/burley.html
Burley
Burley footballs have a history dating back to 1907, when the ball was first used in a WAFL league match between East Fremantle and West Perth. Word spread quickly and by 1913, Burley had expanded to Victoria, the home of football. In 1924 the ball was first used at the Australian Interstate Carnival, held in Hobart, and by 1933, Burley was the official ball of the SANFL.

As the company grew, it acquired competing football brands Rover and Chesson on the way to pioneering the importation of leather footballs from overseas. After capturing a license as the official football of the Victorian Country Football League's in 1988, Burley merged with sportswear giant Sekem in 1989......................

http://www.sekem.com.au/content/page/burley.html

There is absolutely no difference between a true league sherrin and a burley. They are identical, and independent tests have confirmed this.

People have false perceptions of each footy because they've generally used an inferior cheapy and assumed the league ball is the same

Might be now but I reckon there was a difference about 25-30 years ago. They tried to enter the SA market and sold their match balls at a discount to footy clubs. My club bought some. Ross Faulkners were pretty much the standard match balls in the SA Amateur Football League at the top couple of divisions but then it varied as you worked you way down the grades. I remember the Burley being slightly fatter and rounder and better to latch onto to do a torp. We had Sherrins in the kit as well. With 9 open age teams we would always buy alternative footys if we could get good deals.

One year in Div 8 we used this Indian footy made of synethic material - it was called The Aussie Star. Teams had to provide match balls from Div 3 downwards. It was slightly smaller than a Faulkner or Sherrin, and was slippery as a piece of soap when it was wet. If you hit it right a 70m torp with the wind was a possibility even for an average kicker. We always tried to use it for the quarter we had the wind.

The downsized smaller Burley's I kicked around as a kid in the 90's were most definitely rounder than the Sherrin equivalents. I'm guessing the full-sized versions of each have always been the same, but that is definitely not the same for the kids burley footballs which were more like Rugby ball in shape.

Don't remember what brand they were but they were everywhere those days- Had the team logo and colors, rubber surface that had small round rubber groove textures(similar thing you see on a basketball) for better grip.

Best spinning footy is a Ross Faulkner, more pointer and streamlined compared to Sherrin and Burley, Faulkner balls were used in the FDL through the 80's and 90's where I was a superstar for the West Footscray Roosters.
Faulkners can be lethal weapons on wet days. Remember one day we had a hot head on our team who the coach told if he got sent off again he would be kicked off of the team.
One of the other teams players gave him a clip behind the ear in a marking contest, bloke goes back to take his kick and just drilled a torp into the bloke that gave him the clip behind the ear and KO'd him.
Broke his nose in two places and loosened three teeth:eek:

Might be now but I reckon there was a difference about 25-30 years ago.
Definitely true. But I'm talking today, and talking full size league standard balls. Not cheapies, not a downsized junior ball. I'm talking the burley used in the wafl now and the sherrin used in the afl now

These days, where the game has been standardised nationally, there is certainly no difference. WA teams wouldn't want their fringe players playing in the WAFL with a ball that is different to the AFL ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back