News Past Players Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

His name was Happy Hammond, apparently a children's entertainer. It's here in a video the club published online recently. Interviews with both the 'clown' and players. :) See here:

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2014-09-23/magic-moment-1963-premiership
That's great, NB. I must've missed that when it was uploaded on the Cats website, so thanks for linking it here.
I've just watched the first half but will get back to it later. I wish there was more footage of the old footy days. I imagine there's a bit out there but people who have it probably don't know how to convert it from video.

I would love to get some vision of the great days of Farmer's ruck and handballing brilliance, and those stabs by Billy Goggin, hitting Wade and Sharrock on the chest. They are so etched in my mind I know they must be out there somewhere.
Goggin was my footy hero in the 60's, early 70's and I nearly tore my thigh as a kid trying to perfect those stab passes out on the Noble street oval near St Joey's with some repetitive solo efforts. The Darcy family lived next door to the oval, and occasionally a tiny Tim would come and relieve me of my "autism" and have a kick- Tim Darcy was already a gun at age 6, just knew he would make the senior list one day.

Some of the names I'd like to get some info / vision on include -
Newman at his best;
Polinelli;....the speed
Goggin;.... the stabs
Marshall;....the class
Vinar;.....the kicking, Ben Graham like.
Bos;.....the best tackler Geelong may have had
Blake snr!!!!......the longest tapouts ever
Malarkey; .....the bulkiest thighs ever
Jefferies;.....spectacular leap and left foot kick
Turner;......sheer speed with the ball
Peter Walker;......never beaten at CHB
just for starters.

Thanks, Vdubs. Glad to see someone else on here recognised how brilliant this guy was.

Just so rarely beaten in a contest and simply can't remember him playing a really poor game.

So tough to play against but very good with the ball in hand as well.

Growing up in the 80's, he was just about my favourite player. So reliable and always seemed to be giving it everything (and getting the best out of himself at the same time). Definitely not the most talented in that generation at the hoops but more than made up for it with his supreme application to the task at hand.

I'll never forget running onto the ground at Carrara after a match against the Bad News Bears to slap him on the back. Ended up running past all the other so-called superstars of the day to make sure I got to him before he headed off the ground. When I got there (and probably whacked him way too hard on the back due to my enthusiasm) he looked at me like I was totally mad (which I probably was).

I get the impression he hadn't seen that many kids running full pelt to get around him after a game when he shared the stage with players like Ablett, Bews, Couch and the rest. Whatever he really thought, I was just glad to have had that brief moment to give some kudos to a bloke who I never believed got the adulation he deserved during his career.

Having said that, he picked up two Carjis before he retired (and played for Victoria several times). So maybe more people agreed with me about how good he really was than I ever realised.:$

#24 will always be a number I remember very fondly at the Cats. While Jed might end up playing a role in that, the unheralded country boy from Wandella will always be at the forefront of my thoughts.

Thanks for the memories, Bosy.:thumbsu:

http://australianfootball.com/players/player/mark+bos/11308

Recruited from Wandella, Mark Bos made his senior debut with Geelong against Footscray in round 6 1979, and over the ensuing eleven seasons he went on to play a total of 195 VFL games. Tough, hard-hitting, and a thumping kick with either foot, he was one of the most reliable half back flankers of his day, although he could also perform serviceably in other positions if required.

http://australianfootball.com/players/player/mark+bos/11308

Other than being a bit of a fig jam he had zero discipline in 1990.
I can clearly remember seeing him smashed at the Lyric every 2nd weekend in 1990.
They called him "Pres"- President, always wore a large black presidential overcoat after matches, impeccably dressed.

Some great footage here of Geelong training at Kardinia Park in premiership year 1963.

Players in Geelong and alternative club training guernseys. Polly Farmer kicking is a treat. Great footage of Davis, also.

By the looks of the light, the attire of some spectators, and some background deciduous trees just starting to come into bloom (though hard to tell precisely with the vision), I'd say it's first month of Spring in Geelong. So, if correct, this makes it a training session in September 63.

:hearts: it but plz educate me, who is the player in Ess 12..?

Some great footage here of Geelong training at Kardinia Park in premiership year 1963.

Players in Geelong and alternative club training guernseys. Polly Farmer kicking is a treat. Great footage of Davis, also.

By the looks of the light, the attire of some spectators, and some background deciduous trees just starting to come into bloom (though hard to tell precisely with the vision), I'd say it's first month of Spring in Geelong. So, if correct, this makes it a training session in September 63.

Oh WOW!!! Just Wow NB! Fantastic footage! They look like they're having so much fun! Who is the guy in the green suit, with the brown shoes + white socks? Thank you so much for posting the footage NB, just awesome!

True. And that old ex players stand (the little wooden box thing) was there until the early 90s! Incredible how far the ground has come.
Plus the kid on the grass behind goals, what a thrill for him! What a difference, from a typical suburban footy ground to a world class stadium! Makes me feel so proud of all the Club has achieved.

Happy Hammond had an afternoon kid's show on Channel 7. (Channel 9 had Uncle Norman) Happy Hammond was also a mad Cats supporter and started his media career on 3GL!!

The Happy Show - with Olivia Newton John

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umm yeah ok, ice hockey player born in the '60's.. any advancement on this..? :rolleyes:

Bit hard to tell from those glimpses, but Hynesy was no 12, and that may be him in his training jumper.
Geelong-area footy followers will tell you what an absolute superstar he was for yonks at local level, after he gave his VFL career away far too early, following a sus[pension for kicking.
Or are you taking the piss, and I'm missing someone obvious? :rolleyes:

Bit hard to tell from those glimpses, but Hynesy was no 12, and that may be him in his training jumper.
Geelong-area footy followers will tell you what an absolute superstar he was for yonks at local level, after he gave his VFL career away far too early, following a sus[pension for kicking.
Or are you taking the piss, and I'm missing someone obvious? :rolleyes:
Not taking the p and thanks 4 the insight, I honestly do appreciate any post to do with history.. :hearts:

And yes, I know he wasn't big.
Far bigger legs, neck etc. And although hard to judge, taller than that.

1963.jpg

BACK: Colin Rice, John Sharrock John Watts, John Yeates, Geoff Rosenow (Emergency), Roy West, Tony Polinelli

CENTRE: Gordon Hynes, John Brown, Paul Vinar, Doug Wade, Ken Goodland, Peter Walker, Ian Scott, Hugh Routley

FRONT Graham Farmer, Alistair Lord, John Devine, Bob Davis (Coach), Fred Wooller (Captain), Stewart Lord, Bill Goggin
http://www.thecattery.com.au/Articles/25092007_2.php

The photo + line up is from Cats website
Line up:

B: Ian Scott - Roy West - John Watts

HB: John Devine - Peter Walker - Stewart Lord

C: Hugh Routley - Alistair Lord - John Brown

HF: Gordon Hynes - Fred Wooller (cap) - John Sharrock

F: John Yeates - Doug Wade - Colin Rice

Foll: Graham Farmer - Paul Vinar - Bill Goggin

Res: Ken Goodland - Tony Polinelli

Coach: Bob Davis

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/club/history/premierships/1963

Hynes was virtually identical in size to Lincoln McCarthy.
But I wouldn't be betting on anyone from those clips.
I've posted a photo now Fred, with the names of the players, hope it helps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back