NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

God, I sense a shark crush!

Southport are the Collingwood of Qld football. They are either loved or loathed. They are rich, largely via a massive donation by the Big Fellow which kick started their wealth.(money makes money). They have some smart business administrators and stable board led by the Good Doc.

However, like their name sake, they are predators and, as LAB stated have a less than favourable relationship with other Gold Coast clubs. If they are not careful the biting animal may become the bitten.

For years when they were dominant, they were equally arrogant. Those that suffered by that arrogance are now ok with where they are at. The third best queensland club in NEAFL.
have been on the end of a Southport hiding to many times to mention (beat them 4 times and it was like winning flags)..... and copped some of their arrogance but i am a big fan of how they took a good hand out and turned into what it is today, everyone is entitled to have a crack ath the sharks but how much money has the sharks put into local footy on the coast and the QAFL over the past 20 years? it would run into millions?

if someone knows a rough figure please tell....

LAB what would you like to hear from me mate
Dogwarna, someone like yourself and your peers from a very successful era I believe have a lot to offer, need to get involved and help facilitate the change that is needed.I have no great affection for the sharks probably the opposite but Gold Coast footy needs them to get their act in gear and this change could come very quickly if people wanted it.

Totally agree.Aspley, Redland and Morningside in QAFL, are massively better at embracing those from outside that Southport ever have been. That's why I shed no tears for them in their current position..they have moved on their coach and somehow they think the problem is fixed. Good luck

I think a change was always going to happen down there, after this year. But I have to disagree with you there. Over the last few years I've had the pleasure of training with Redlands, morningside and southport. Just from a learning experience from a lower division. Redlands was very professional. Southport I found were actually very warming and welcomed you in, just a bunch of good mates playing. Morningside was a boys club that only cared for themselves. Really didn't enjoy the experience, and have no love for them honestly. Southport will bounce back, I'm guessing a couple of the assistants from last year will hang around, and make the transition for bock as easy as possible.

Early day I know but any news in player movements?

Heard carse is taking one or two with him and cleve Hughes retired. Couple of sharks returning home and a couple going with cresswell to wodonga. Speculation about Baxter also.

A couple of morningside boys being targeted by redland and I've heard cotter is recruiting harder from down South than the last couple of years.

Haven't heard much about aspley- will Blair continue? Cope land retire maybe? Seems like he's been around forever and got the prize this year.

Early day I know but any news in player movements?

Heard carse is taking one or two with him and cleve Hughes retired. Couple of sharks returning home and a couple going with cresswell to wodonga. Speculation about Baxter also.

A couple of morningside boys being targeted by redland and I've heard cotter is recruiting harder from down South than the last couple of years.

Haven't heard much about aspley- will Blair continue? Cope land retire maybe? Seems like he's been around forever and got the prize this year.

2010Premier,
Is Carse leaving Redlands.? Or did you mean Pfieffer going to coach UQ in the QAFL.

Not 100% sure but I thought I heard carse has a coaching gig in Victoria somewhere. Big loss as I'm of the view apart from being a very good footballer he is clearly an outstanding leader.

Pfeiffer to UQ as reported on website, good player but I get the impression he is a bit banged up.

Does anyone know if the suns are getting their neafl contracted players as was the speculation? Needs to happen IMO as their performance this year was embarrassing and for mine contributed to blueys demise and the late season fade out by the senior suns team.

Also heard that neafl will require more travel this year. They would want to be careful with this and the solution is simple but will not happen. Make the AFL reserves teams play more games away to make the travel burden less for part time footballers. But of course this will not happen as the afl clubs run the show

Have Redlands picked up anyone? They had better as I've heard they have lost plenty.

Southport have too but obviously have more financial power and a better location to recruit.

Aspley and Syd uni will be the 2 strongest community clubs imo

Have Redlands picked up anyone? They had better as I've heard they have lost plenty.

Southport have too but obviously have more financial power and a better location to recruit.

2010 premier,

While my supportive side would love to agree with you on your opinion above, I feel that the Southport Sharks (with their pants well and truly pulled down this past season) will not let their fall from grace repeat itself for some years to come!!!!! Those who venture to Southport to play AFL fOOTY IN ANY GRADE - be prepared to play well to win.

It is very early in preparation for the season next year, I can only just imagine and wonder what the Sharks, the Bombers and the Hornets have in store for us (the true NEAFL Supporters) next year. The Suns - Praise the Lord - have a new leader in Rodney Eade, who like Ken Hinkley hates to lose his shadow when the Sun goes down, so they will be up and about next year - you can count on that - I must say it will be good to have all of their second best is good enough crowers back online spruiking that the "NEAFL" is now the benchmark of the AFL reserve sides in the nation, shame, shame, shame on all of those losers - you know who you are!!!!!! This goes for the Lions as well win two flags in a row and then bag the s--t out of the comp because it does nothing for their player's going forward - big yawn to those losers two - no excuses this year pen pals.

Then for the Swans and GWS reserve sides supporters, that when the season gets evened up and they play finals footy against part time lists that make their full time lists (even if it is a maximum of 14 only) inferior, (my full time bricklaying crew would lay 50% times more bricks than a part time crew every day of the week), what is the difference here - try for starters, playing to win for you team mates and your club. Aspley to date (in this latest format is the only suburban club side) to do it.

All of the other clubs from Sydney, ACT and the Northern Territory will come back much hungrier and very, very well reinforced one would amagine from this last year, so the NEAFL will slot truly into the 4th, 2nd tier competition in the land after the WAFL, the SANFL and the VFL, will the 4 AFL reserve Sides currently participating in the again restructured NEAFL competition be up to it???????????? Only time and a lot of AFL (our the punters funds) will tell the tale in September next year. To drink from the fountain of the Premiership Cup takes all of the courage you can muster - the drink is none sweeter, but this taste lasts for but 12 months - so for all who dream, prepare well and execute with precision or be lost, as pretenders, which 10 will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to add for now to what you banana-bending experts are writing, other than to point out that there is some posting action on "NEAFL RESTRUCTURE".

I'm desperate for footy talk over the summer !

[QUOTE="Any other movements ?[/QUOTE]
Do Board movements count? Nominations are up in the sports bar for the AGM in a few weeks and it looks like Tony Tucker is stepping down from the Presidency and not seeking election in any other capacity. Big news at the Nest!

Is there any truth that AFL officials are still monitoring player changes and list development of NEAFL clubs to ensure quality games and competition in 2015 and beyond ?

There is one Canberra club under particular scrutiny and deemed by some at AFL to simply not be a NEAFL standard in all aspects

I hear there may be more changes to the final clubs list prior to fixture being finalised

I here Eastlake in strife;

More blokes moving down here to the Hume League from neafl;

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...ID=61063&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=32209232

Footy Manager woefull, they have had to re-remploy an old FM to hold his hand and make sure stuff gets done.

They have had to implement a Footy Advisory Committee because the Footy Committe can't do its job.

There coach agreed to terms to play with rival Canberra club, didn't even apply for the Eastlake job, but got offered $$$$ too good to refuse $100k+.

All the good Belco/Qbn players wanting to stay in the neafl are heading to Ainslie.

As said on here before;

"Silly Eastlake"

Untrue that Sharks have a better location to recruit. Transient population and zero work at the minute. Extremely tough at the moment for both Redlands and Sharks to get 35 players for there list next year. Ah yes Neafl is the breeding ground for the QAFL!

IMO Dog its a furphy that NEAFL clubs need to be spending massive $$ to be part of that comp. Yep, need to be part of a really good comp but I know of clubs in the VFL who run on the smell of an oily rag. In fact Frankston, that has been as good a provider as any club for AFL players in recent years has absolutely zilch $$. Coaches buying pizzas for post recovery, minimal medics on hand etc. At the end of the day players will get there if they want to get there. In fact it might actually filter the pampered from those who have a bit of self reliance! Without knowing too much of the requirements for NEAFL association I would say clubs should not feel like they have to spend $300K+ to be part of it. Like any comp, spend what you can afford.

IMO Dog its a furphy that NEAFL clubs need to be spending massive $$ to be part of that comp. Yep, need to be part of a really good comp but I know of clubs in the VFL who run on the smell of an oily rag. In fact Frankston, that has been as good a provider as any club for AFL players in recent years has absolutely zilch $$. Coaches buying pizzas for post recovery, minimal medics on hand etc. At the end of the day players will get there if they want to get there. In fact it might actually filter the pampered from those who have a bit of self reliance! Without knowing too much of the requirements for NEAFL association I would say clubs should not feel like they have to spend $300K+ to be part of it. Like any comp, spend what you can afford.

smy1305,

Speaking of spending, has there been any rumours regarding new signing from all of the non AFL Reserve clubs this year to date? There has been a lot of activity on the QFL Big Footy page regarding NEAFL players here in Qld dropping back, also some good players from the Qld NEAFL sides moving South etc. - I would have thought that the Clubs would be or would have been very active in building their lists to combat this exodus. Or maybe the younger age guys will now get a chance to have a crack at the NEAFL.

Don't really know BB - I know Aspley have targeted a few of the Maroochy youngsters involved in the State team this year, which is fair enough, and hopefully they get a chance at NEAFL footy in 2015. I think mid age / older blokes filtering back to QAFL footy or even conference footy isn't a bad thing - strengthens up these comps, but again as long as clubs don't spend what they can't afford then all good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back