King Cold

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong VFL
As it stands at the end of the 2014 season.

Melbourne - 3-3 = 50%

Carlton - 1-2 = 33%
Brisbane Lions - 1-2 = 33%

Port Adelaide - 1-3 = 25%
Western Bulldogs - 1-3 = 25%

Gold Coast - 1-4 = 20%
Sydney - 1-5 = 16.6%

Collingwood - 0-3 = 0%
Fremantle - 0-3 = 0%
Geelong - 0-3 = 0%
Hawthorn - 0-3 = 0%
St Kilda - 0-3 = 0%
West Coast - 0-3 = 0%
Essendon - 0-4 = 0%
North Melbourne - 0-4 = 0%
Richmond - 0-4 = 0%
Adelaide - 0-5 = 0%

A few things to note:

- That one win against Sydney is the obvious stand out given the fact that the Swans have finished 1st, 4th and 2nd since the Giants' inception.

- Record against Gold Coast is poor, but that is to be expected given that the Suns are a year ahead in terms of development.

- 0 wins against St Kilda came across as a surprise to me, although I expect that to be rectified in 2015.

- Melbourne are likely to become the first team that the Giants have a positive W/L record against, and I expect the Demons supporters to hate this stat.

- After 3 seasons the Giants are yet to register wins against 10 teams, while the Suns after their 3rd season had yet to register wins against 7 teams.

• Banned

W/L records are something I take interest in when it comes to following footy, so I don't understand why you are rolling your eyes at this thread.

In fact I'm surprised that there wasn't a thread made on this already.

There is a thread on the Fremantle board discussing their W/L records as well.

W/L records are something I take interest in when it comes to following footy, so I don't understand why you are rolling your eyes at this thread.

In fact I'm surprised that there wasn't a thread made on this already.

There is a thread on the Fremantle board discussing their W/L records as well.

We have won a grand total of 9 games. There are 17 teams in the league that aren't us. I may be from Western Sydney but I've learnt me some sums and I'm not stupid enough to need some opposition fan coming onto 'my' board and telling me we haven't beaten every other side yet.

W/L records may have some interesting historical appeal, but after 3 years? Your sample size is beyond ridiculously small. Wow - some teams have won three in a row against us. Amazing. I suppose that's never been done before.

Come back in 20 years. Then we can talk properly about win loss records. Until then? It's pretty meaningless.

We have won a grand total of 9 games. There are 17 teams in the league that aren't us. I may be from Western Sydney but I've learnt me some sums and I'm not stupid enough to need some opposition fan coming onto 'my' board and telling me we haven't beaten every other side yet.

W/L records may have some interesting historical appeal, but after 3 years? Your sample size is beyond ridiculously small. Wow - some teams have won three in a row against us. Amazing. I suppose that's never been done before.

Come back in 20 years. Then we can talk properly about win loss records. Until then? It's pretty meaningless.
IMO it's a good way to draw a line in the sand and track progress from here

IMO it's a good way to draw a line in the sand and track progress from here

Why draw a line and track it from here? Bit arbitrary isn't it? And the games we've already lost will always be included in the stats.

with the sample size so small (and not increasing significantly over the next decade or so given we play the others only once or twice a year each) the numbers will fluctuate wildly on the back of a single win or loss. It's like calling a landslide election based on the first tiny country booth where 8 people changed their vote and the booth swung 20% as a result.

Collingwood - 0-3 = 0%
Fremantle - 0-3 = 0%
Geelong - 0-3 = 0%
Hawthorn - 0-3 = 0%
St Kilda - 0-3 = 0%
West Coast - 0-3 = 0%
Essendon - 0-4 = 0%
North Melbourne - 0-4 = 0%
Richmond - 0-4 = 0%
Adelaide - 0-5 = 0%

After 3 seasons the Giants are yet to register wins against 10 teams...

We haven't won against these guys yet? Think how much fun it's going to be balancing that ledger! :)

I'd rather track progress not just on W/L but on improvement in margins. We're dismal against some teams, but we're improving against them. That's a better indicator.

The other difficulty is we aren't playing teams often enough and both home and away to get a good indication. We only had our first away win this year. We haven't played some of these teams at home at all; not just not at Spotless, but not at home at all!

I'd rather track progress not just on W/L but on improvement in margins. We're dismal against some teams, but we're improving against them. That's a better indicator.

The other difficulty is we aren't playing teams often enough and both home and away to get a good indication. We only had our first away win this year. We haven't played some of these teams at home at all; not just not at Spotless, but not at home at all!

GWS have never had a home game against Brisbane, Fremantle or Hawthorn.

Surely the AFL will give the Giants a home game against at least one of those teams next season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why draw a line and track it from here? Bit arbitrary isn't it? And the games we've already lost will always be included in the stats.

with the sample size so small (and not increasing significantly over the next decade or so given we play the others only once or twice a year each) the numbers will fluctuate wildly on the back of a single win or loss. It's like calling a landslide election based on the first tiny country booth where 8 people changed their vote and the booth swung 20% as a result.

The hawthorn board tracks our win loss ratio against as well as our points for and against. Hawthorn were level in points for and against in the first minute of their first match, and weren't again until the last qtr against the swans in the qualifying final last season. That's 89 years in the negative. It's a fantastic opportunity to follow the rise of a club from its infancy through records like this.

We haven't won against these guys yet? Think how much fun it's going to be balancing that ledger! :)

It's going to be a fun ride that's for sure, just don't knock off the Cats ;)

Here's the games where the Giants will be looking to break 'ducks' so to speak:

Round 1 vs St Kilda at Docklands
Round 5 vs West Coast at Subiaco
Round 6 vs Hawthorn at Showground
Round 8 vs Adelaide at Showground
Round 11 vs Collingwood at MCG
Round 12 vs North Melbourne at Showground
Round 14 vs Richmond at MCG
Round 15 vs St Kilda at Showground*
Round 17 vs Geelong at Showground
Round 18 vs Fremantle at Subiaco
Round 19 vs Essendon at Showground

*denotes return game, which won't matter if the duck is broken the first time around.

GWS did beat St Kilda, I was there, Wagga Wagga, NAB Cup..
Wasn't that the game where you guys bombed about 7 9 pointers and Dylan Sheils kicked three of them?

I was thinking that we've done really well against GWS in our three encounters.
So far our percentage against you guys is at 245%.
No doubt you'll be more competitive/knock us over next year.

West Coast (97 points) and Fremantle (94 points) are #1 and #2 respectively for average winning margins against GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back