List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why people stress about the draft in its immediate aftermath, too many examples of premature opinions looking really embarrassing years down the track.

Having said that I didn't see this coming given where I see our list at *shrugs*. I'm happy to be pleasantly surprised ala Brown and Turner.

I'll make a large call, so people can get some perspective, Durdin is the most talented kid we have taken since Cunnington in my book, that includes LMAC.

the 3 draft prospects are all future picks.
Grima - can barely play a full year
Thompson - niggling injuries
Hansen - playing with that back injury for the rest of his career
Spud - getting on, got a few years left

If you look at overall future outlook we are in desperate need for some tall and agile defenders. These guys may not all be defenders either but we cant win finals with a depleted back line

Let's hope we go for some speed (outside mid/half forward) in the rookie draft but in saying this we've been brilliant in bringing in some guns in the past :)

I'll make a large call, so people can get some perspective, Durdin is the most talented kid we have taken since Cunnington in my book, that includes LMAC.
And I'll raise you and say some recruiters think he's the next James sellar. 2 different teams with picks before ours.

Have to say that Bryce Lewis commenting on SEN just now regarding our player selections sounded like a broken man. Not the result the club wanted (yes we needed defenders but not three) however all the players with elite speed we'd flagged were gone by the time our pick 16 had arrived. Also disappointed that the Saints nabbed Daniel McKenzie from under our noses prior to our pick 25 selection. Feeling extremely deflated right now.
I think Bryce shot himself in the foot. He should've went Laverde over Durdin if he was already keen on Nielson and Hyphen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that makes me nervous.

Why?

Do you realise how rare genuinely elite young back prospects are like Lever and Durdin?

The last backman like them to be rated as a top 5 talent was Plowman, who's more of your third tall.

The last backman of this calibre relative to their draft class was Michael Hurley, 6 years ago.....

For a backman at one point to be rated close to the #1 pick (Like Lever and Durdin have been at times) is a once in a decade type occurance.....

Why?

Do you realise how rare genuinely elite young back prospects are like Lever and Durdin?

The last backman like them to be rated as a top 5 talent was Plowman, who's more of your third tall.

The last backman of this calibre relative to their draft class was Michael Hurley, 6 years ago.....
I don't doubt your opinion when I never have one. I just want to believe he can develop to his fullest potential because his type is arguably the one we most need for the future.

Why?

For a backman at one point to be rated close to the #1 pick (Like Lever and Durdin have been at times) is a once in a decade type occurance.....
So we have taken best available im happy to trust Lewis there

Interested to hear people's opinions on who we should have picked up at 25/36 who has line breaking pace. All well and good knocking picks - but who's your alternative?
Wouldnt have minded menadue at 25

I hope your right, I was looking forward to this draft for weeks, just got pissed at the pub watching it, outside of Durdin I am a little disappointed
I hope our recruters know more then we do, because to me we missed out.

On
I hope your right, I was looking forward to this draft for weeks, just got pissed at the pub watching it, outside of Durdin I am a little disappointed
I hope our recruters know more then we do, because to me we missed out.
On what though? The elite types with speed were gone we weren't the only ones to pass on menadue, d Mac earlier!

It's what draft for.
And I'll raise you and say some recruiters think he's the next James sellar. 2 different teams with picks before ours.

I'll back the judgement of our blokes any time.

Watching the highlught vids I certinly would not be pigeon holing him as a backan only.

we were absolutely kidding ourselves with the whole "two of ahern, cockatoo, weller, garlett" talk.

But we nailed a slider that fits a massive need.

Pick 25 was just too far off to get the line breaker we wanted after Brad hill's gone bananas, increasing league wide desire for pace and endurance.

It's what draft for.

I'll back the judgement of our blokes any time.

Watching the highlught vids I certinly would not be pigeon holing him as a backan only.
Just passing on what I was told last night and today. I did post during today that he was sliding. One club said he reminds them of sellar, crows and Freeo both let him go past. I've got fingers and toes crossed he's going to be a star just discussing what I was told

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back