Which was our worst season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 15, 2012
East Coast
AFL Club
West Coast
This is the short list:

2008: Along with 2001, the most obvious choice. This season was just thrashing after thrashing, including disturbingly poor performances like that game against Geelong (AT home) where they won by like 130 points and a game against bottom of the ladder Melbourne where we were just abysmal. The fact we finished top 4 just a year prior made it all the more shocking. There were really no promising signs the entire year as most of our wins came against fellow strugglers, save for one big win against the top 8 Crows.

2001: Very similar to 2008 since there were a lot of huge losses this season and we finished in the exact same position, just avoiding the spoon. This season was a little less of a shock than 2008 since we spent the entire 90s in the top half of the ladder, we were bound for a fall, but the magnitude of the fall in 2000/2001 was still somewhat surprising.

2010: Despite the fact this was our only wooden spoon year i don't think we were all that bad this season, as evidenced by the fact we finished top 4 the following year. A lot of the losses in 2010 were pretty close.

1989: We made the finals for the first time in 88 and were expected to do well again, although the year was a complete disaster, and included our biggest ever loss (aka the "Windy Hill Massacre").

2013: Up until the final three rounds we weren't all that bad, i mean we did flat track bully a couple of teams and gave a few of the better teams a good fight, although the fact there was so much expectation going into 2013 made it a terrible season. Those final three games in 2013 were some of the most disgusting performances i've ever seen from the Eagles and are one of the main reasons 2013 is a poll option.

Another season that could be considered our worst ever is 2007, although that's entirely because of all the off-field issues that plagued us during that time. On the field it was a pretty successful season, so to me it doesn't really belong in the same category as the other seasons previously mentioned.

Last edited:
It should be 2008 because we could have still been challenging had the wheels not fallen off completely. Nothing really positive eventuated either. 2001 got Ken sacked, 2013 made the split with Woosha a definate, and while 2010 just seemed like a continuation of poor performances they weren't really unexpected, aside from a month at the end of 2009 we'd been ordinary for a few years.

'01 was due. We had been losing Premiership players for years prior and the ones still in the team were struggling, it was going to happen that the list needed turning over.

I didn't see much of '89 and was too young to evaluate it properly in the scene of things. But being the clubs 3rd year probably willing to give it a pass because of that.

'08 was the poorest performances I have seen (Richmond, Geelong, Bulldogs at home).
2010 despite finishing last had some interest to it as we were fairly young and had some good young players coming through and as Harry said above we had been poor for years earlier despite one patch of 4 games or so.

2013 is the first one I felt ambivalence to the result. The club thought they were in premiership mode...you personally think they weren't so it become annoying seeing them expect so much but deliver very little.

1989- I didn't like Todd and by the end of 89 neither did anyone at the club. If it hadn't of been for Malthouse we could have become a ring a rosie rabble for 20yrs ala the Dockers.

1989- I didn't like Todd and by the end of 89 neither did anyone at the club. If it hadn't of been for Malthouse we could have become a ring a rosie rabble for 20yrs ala the Dockers.

even our worst years still beat being a Dockers fan.

Last edited:
I chose 2013, mainly because of the expectation I had, then it started, we got beaten by Freo and then pumped by the Hawks, beat Melbourne in typical flat track style, then it all turned to s**t. That loss in round 5 I think it was against Port was one of the most frustrating games I've seen in a long time. You could see it happening, and we were helpless against their run on. From then on it was just more shitty performances and players looking lazy and not interested at all. Top if off with Freo making the GF, and all of WA losing their s**t and going purple, it was just a horrible season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back