Beasley

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2005
Full Forward
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Interesting to read the article on the AFL website where Leon Cameron is pleading for the critics to give Tom Scully a break.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-05/back-off-tom-scully

Cameron has no time for the critics.

"To the kid’s credit, you constantly get stones thrown at you and it's easy to give up and roll over but he never complains," he said.

"He knows he has copped a bit. Yes, he is an easy target and as a coach that disappoints you because we have 45 other players."

Why should Melbourne supporters especially, feel sorry for Scully. This is a bloke that went virtually an entire season without being honest with his team mates. No wonder there is a nasty taste in Demon fans mouths.

The Bulldogs have also beeen on the receiving end of dishonesty from two players who went to GWS, Callan Ward (future Captain) and Ryan Griffin (Captain). I have no sympathy for any of these players at all!

Most Melbourne fans don't care, but he's the only person in the AFL we feel collectively superior to for the past 8 years.

The only person. It's just him in his last place, then its our entire supporter base in second last.

giphy.gif

What criticism is he talking about? Scully gets off very lightly from the media, considering he's a #1 pick, the huge money he's on and his very ordinary output.
Comparing the watts criticism to scully and theyre miles apart.

Everyone has forgotten about scully. Average output, foot soldier, not even one of the first 5 players you'd list when talking about GWS's upcoming talent.

If anything this article is inviting criticism and Spotlight where it doesn't exist.

Comparing the watts criticism to scully and theyre miles apart.

Everyone has forgotten about scully. Average output, foot soldier, not even one of the first 5 players you'd list when talking about GWS's upcoming talent.

If anything this article is inviting criticism and Spotlight where it doesn't exist.
At least Watts gets a kick.

- Lies to a dying Jimmy Stynes
- Has the nerve to criticise our culture when it's clearly a problem, but that' why we had the number 1 pick and took a bloke who was apparently such a professional. Since then we've got Paul Roos. He's got Heath Shaw and Toby Greene
- For such a professional his kicking has only got worse and he hasn't added any bulk to his frame. Despite earning 1 mil per season it's clear that his old man still eats all his food

I can't blame him for taking the mega bucks. Although like Michael Hurley and others it's not like his original club weren't offering a fair bit. Apparently we went all the way to 800k for 5 years, just not 1mil for 6. But I get that, it's still a fair difference.

I don't even blame him for wanting out of Melbourne. But as the number 1 pick I felt he could've found it in him to suck it up and at least keep his mouth shut.

Several Melbourne coaches have tried this approach to getting the media to shut up about Watts. It doesn't work. Time and performance are really all that will shut people up and playing like a poor man's Brent Stanton wont do it.

How could a #1 pick turn out to be so useless?
Especially when he was the unanimous number 1 pick and had 38 disposals in a game in his first season. His kicking was never perfect but he could win it on a string both outside and inside, hard a yard of pace away from a contest and had really clean hands. He had a knee injury in his second year at Melbourne that cost him some games but I didn't think it was career altering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gets picked by Melbourne.;)

His first year at Melbourne was excellent, which resulted in him being offered an extraordinary contract by another club.

He's now been at GWS for 3 years. His lack of development has nothing to do with the Melbourne Football Club where he only spent 2 (good) years.

Especially when he was the unanimous number 1 pick and had 38 disposals in a game in his first season. His kicking was never perfect but he could win it on a string both outside and inside, hard a yard of pace away from a contest and had really clean hands. He had a knee injury in his second year at Melbourne that cost him some games but I didn't think it was career altering.

Seems to have the skill then. Maybe a personality or motivation thing? I can't say he's had an easy run though. They expected too much of him at Melbourne too early then he got out, but did it by getting recruited to a team where his performance would always be scrutinised because he is paid so much. He might not be the type of person who deals with that stuff well.

Obtaining financial advantage by deception.

Nah, just being in the right spot at the right time, wasn't his fault that Sheedy was desperate to make a statement to the MFC for not hiring him. Although I'm amazed that his dad doesn't cop it more for using his son to get a $100k job for doing sweet f/a.

Tom did us a favour, he will never be an A grade midfielder and soon he's going to struggle to get a game at GWS. Eventually he'll just quietly slip away from the game. Sure he's rich thanks to Sheeds but I bet in the future he regrets what happened, not leaving Melbourne because that was the right decision, I mean everything else. That massive salary put way too much pressure and expectations on him. He was never going to be able to deal with it. This article from his current coach is further proof, and his previous coach said the same thing. In fact from memory both Bailey and Stynes had to publicly defend him as well. Seems to be a common practice.

The quotes are

"To the kid’s credit, you constantly get stones thrown at you and it's easy to give up and roll over but he never complains," he said.

"He knows he has copped a bit. Yes, he is an easy target and as a coach that disappoints you because we have 45 other players."

None of that even hints at asking for anyone to back off, let alone pleads for it :confused:

Keep falling for sensationalised heheadlines everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back