NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes that is a fact Ruffles, but not a great deal of interest. I think they are happy where they are

Any truth in rumour that Aspley have signed ex-Thunder premiership player Matthew Argus on his return to Brisbane. Interesting that he went to Darwin looking to greener pastures but has returned to his junior club.

Any truth in rumour that Aspley have signed ex-Thunder premiership player Matthew Argus on his return to Brisbane. Interesting that he went to Darwin looking to greener pastures but has returned to his junior club.

"thunderdoc"

While Matt has been at times a great player at both clubs and the Northern Eagles in between in the past - I fear his sting might be lost with the Hornets at this point of time - I heard brother Lachy was moving back near home, he could well be a handy pick up, as most games in which I saw while he played for The Thunder he did a serviceable job both in defence and attack.

I here Eastlake in strife;

More blokes moving down here to the Hume League from neafl;

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...ID=61063&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=32209232

Footy Manager woefull, they have had to re-remploy an old FM to hold his hand and make sure stuff gets done.

They have had to implement a Footy Advisory Committee because the Footy Committe can't do its job.

There coach agreed to terms to play with rival Canberra club, didn't even apply for the Eastlake job, but got offered $$$$ too good to refuse $100k+.

All the good Belco/Qbn players wanting to stay in the neafl are heading to Ainslie.

As said on here before;

"Silly Eastlake"

Anybody in Canberra footy circles that can confirm the new Eastlake coach has taken the club management to task already over their preparedness for NEAFL 2015 season? In fact has threatened to walk out ?? Unless there is a major change ?
Rumour is that they have lost up to 20 senior players from list and all their assistant coaches ? Some even deciding to move over to AFL Canberra clubs like Qybn /Tuggeranong.
President has been sacked but put onto a project team to improve the club ??
NEAFL management have a real basket case here and would be better to pull the pin on these guys with a strong sense of major embarrassment for all involved regarding what will be delivered on the park.
To back up Carlton Draught comments above I have been told that the Football Manager is completely hopeless and all others involved are doing aspects of his job to ensure there is progress in areas required. They even created another committee to do duties in his job???
So ultimately, the footy manager is being paid up to $100k a year to do Sweet FA !!
Frustrating to hear they have so much money to burn when well run clubs such as my Eagles had to pull the pin based on finances.
Get your act together Eastlake or get out !!

Don't forget Queanbeyans OR Belconnens efforts in NEAFL. Both great community clubs with success at this level withdrawing from competition due to the AFL / NEAFL supporting the Qld and Syd clubs with financial assistance and not the Cbr Clubs. Surely these two clubs had more going for them with community support. Both had excellent administration and strong player listings that are now losing players, coaches, volunteers and administrators. Poor decision making by administrators will rob these two clubs of progressing their brands so strongly associated with each of them. Hearing huge loses at tigers including approx 30 players , heaps of coaching and off field assistants. No recruits at Tigers or if there is there is no news coming from them particularly from what was an active website that's gone very quite.

Don't forget Queanbeyans OR Belconnens efforts in NEAFL. Both great community clubs with success at this level withdrawing from competition due to the AFL / NEAFL supporting the Qld and Syd clubs with financial assistance and not the Cbr Clubs. Surely these two clubs had more going for them with community support. Both had excellent administration and strong player listings that are now losing players, coaches, volunteers and administrators. Poor decision making by administrators will rob these two clubs of progressing their brands so strongly associated with each of them. Hearing huge loses at tigers including approx 30 players , heaps of coaching and off field assistants. No recruits at Tigers or if there is there is no news coming from them particularly from what was an active website that's gone very quite.

History1,

I see you just joined us - Welcome, just a little bit of friendly advice, before you post anything on this site, can I suggest you do your homework prior to doing so.

While we within the NEAFL Family in all parts of Australia were all saddened to see Queanbeyan and Belconnen depart the NEAFL after last season - This had nothing to do with funds being given to any current Qld NEAFL Club (to my knowledge). I cannot say the same about Sydney Uni, but to only have 1 side from the largest city in Australia is a joke and the AFL NSW have a lot to answer for in this area.

The 2 Canberra based clubs mentioned above, chose not to participate in this years NEAFL season, again to my knowledge based on them not having the funds to continue, so don't go making comments that the 3 current Qld based clubs are being propped up by the AFL by funding, as these comments are based on fantasy or fiction and they are just not true.

While the 3 Qld Based NEAFL Clubs have their current funds sourced from their hard working administrators at this stage to continue, unlike Morningside, Labrador, Mt Gravatt and Broadbeach - 4 very long serving and successful now AFLQ state league football clubs who chose not to continue in the NEAFL after the 2013 season, due to funding or should I say lack of funding issues, I dare say similar to Queanbeyan and Belconnen's decision this year, there was no AFL funding for these 4 clubs then and still none now - This may not be the case forever, I truly hope not as the NEAFL needs to be as strong as it possibly can be, but only time will tell.

I think Bunters's right about the way the funding flows....or rather, DOESN'T flow.
But stick with us, History, because we can always do with a bit more input from the delightful southern side of the border. This forum has too many banana-benders compared to us Mexicans.

Probably a bit of a stretch to point out the lack of activity on the QBN website - it's off season after all. If it wasn't for the way the AFL pumps up the rookie draft then there would be jacks**t on the AFL websites too. I happen to know that the the SHEagles are very busy at the moment preparing for their 2015 season, but you wouldn't know that from their website.

Stick with us, History, and give us all the news that you come across.

.....an active website that's gone very quite.
Hi History. An advantage of using your real name on a forum like this and letting readers know exactly who you are and what your involvement in a club is, is that it can earn you a bit of respect.

A disadvantage is that I can't hide from constructive criticism. I'll try to lift my game with web updates, but as Justa has pointed out, there's not as much news as usual now it's off seeason.

Focus recently has been on retaining as many existing players as possible. We aren't able to offer NEAFL level competition that some are looking for so we are losing a few that way. Also losing a few through the draw of country football and all that it can offer.

Lots of great kids coming up out of our premiership-winning Rising Stars who'll get plenty of opportunities at the highest level we can offer.

Thanks for your support of our website. I'll try to get some newsworthy updates about our signings as soon as I can.

Michael,
What's the feeling in your club about the NEAFL experiment ?
Are people glad that you gave it a go ?
Has the time in NEAFL set the club back, or advanced you ?
Have you lost goodwill in the footy community over it all ?
Is coach Klemke going around again next year ?
Is it going ok for you as the "Big Kahoona ?" I remember you writing that you gave up a job in the government to run the footy club, and I thought that was an exciting thing to do.

Michael,
What's the feeling in your club about the NEAFL experiment ?
Are people glad that you gave it a go ?
Has the time in NEAFL set the club back, or advanced you ?
Have you lost goodwill in the footy community over it all ?
Is coach Klemke going around again next year ?
Is it going ok for you as the "Big Kahoona ?" I remember you writing that you gave up a job in the government to run the footy club, and I thought that was an exciting thing to do.

Mixed feelings around the place about our involvement in NEAFL. There are those who think we should have tried to stick it out and work harder to raise the funds necessary to compete. Those who think the experience fractured the club by not allowing all grades on one day at one venue and are therefore pleased we are out of it. Some sponsors who sought the wider exposure NEAFL offered, while others who see more value in us keeping things local. Some players disappointed they wont get to run around in a Tigers jumper on the SCG one day against an up and coming Swan's star or legend whose career is winding down, while others thankful they no longer have to struggle to meet the requirements (time off work, travel, training expectations, etc).

Some readers here might question the structure of NEAFL (which is still evolving to it's optimum) but from a Canberra prospective you can't question the exposure it's given players (four new players on AFL lists this year including Ivan Soldo who trained pre-season with us before being rookie listed by Richmond).

We have a very supportive community and very strong junior base, so while it might be a step backwards for the short term, we'll advance strongly as a club at AFL Canberra level.

Klemke definitely going around again and working hard to try to match the outstanding season he just had. Might be putting words in his mouth, but pretty sure he's excited about working with some of the young guys coming through.

As for me, I have a lot to learn still about the job, and some time to put in before I become more comfortable in the role - but I'm enjoying the challenge so far.

Mixed feelings around the place about our involvement in NEAFL. There are those who think we should have tried to stick it out and work harder to raise the funds necessary to compete. Those who think the experience fractured the club by not allowing all grades on one day at one venue and are therefore pleased we are out of it. Some sponsors who sought the wider exposure NEAFL offered, while others who see more value in us keeping things local. Some players disappointed they wont get to run around in a Tigers jumper on the SCG one day against an up and coming Swan's star or legend whose career is winding down, while others thankful they no longer have to struggle to meet the requirements (time off work, travel, training expectations, etc).

Some readers here might question the structure of NEAFL (which is still evolving to it's optimum) but from a Canberra prospective you can't question the exposure it's given players (four new players on AFL lists this year including Ivan Soldo who trained pre-season with us before being rookie listed by Richmond).

We have a very supportive community and very strong junior base, so while it might be a step backwards for the short term, we'll advance strongly as a club at AFL Canberra level.

Klemke definitely going around again and working hard to try to match the outstanding season he just had. Might be putting words in his mouth, but pretty sure he's excited about working with some of the young guys coming through.

As for me, I have a lot to learn still about the job, and some time to put in before I become more comfortable in the role - but I'm enjoying the challenge so far.

Michael,
I hear what you are saying, but lets get real here. Fact is the local community clubs cannot continue to raise the funds to participate at this Neafl level. A minimum of 600k just to qualify...... this is not sustainable. And in one season it has seen 3 clubs jump ship.To add to this , these clubs are now in financial difficultly and even though they are returning to the lower level competition, they are loosing good players to many other leagues , whom can pay these guys decent dollars. I mean the number of ACT players going to the Hume, Riverina ,and Farrar leagues is unreal.I have never seen this exodus .
Fact is, this whole exercise of wanting to be in the NEAFL comp, has backfired on local clubs and has cost them financially and they will suffer for 2 or 3 seasons in a lower level comp because they will need time to become financial again even at this lower level comp.

Michael,
...And in one season it has seen 3 clubs jump ship.To add to this , these clubs are now in financial difficultly and even though they are returning to the lower level competition, they are loosing good players to many other leagues , whom can pay these guys decent dollars. I mean the number of ACT players going to the Hume, Riverina ,and Farrar leagues is unreal.I have never seen this exodus ....
First of all, let me state my skin in the game - I'm not involved with Sydney Uni nor SH Eagles. I follow local Sydney footy, but I live nearby so I called in a few times to watch the Eagles and SydUni. I think I even saw Michael Goiser running the water one day. I'm famous and a spokesman as you can see.
Not.

I have watched as the two Sydney community clubs rolled the dice; I even went to Dairy Farmers (Qbn) one day while in Canberra visiting family. I can tell you that players have come from Northern Victoria, from Qld, country NSW (distant country NSW even), NT, PNG and Polynesia to the NSW/ACT clubs because they thought it might be their chance for glory via the newly formed Giants I suppose. Mostly bombed out but some have now made it onto an AFL list - I suppose it's the same in Qld and NT.
But now these clubs have given up the fight and their blow-ins have mostly gone back where they came from. You can't blame NEAFL for that...many roll the dice but few are chosen.
I agree with your many posts Stuyd1 that NEAFL seems to suck unless you are an AFL club - it does - but be fair to the the community clubs who are willing to wear all the crap that goes with blow-ins, and fair to those blow-ins who go back. They shouldn't be counted in your stats.

But you're right at the end of the day - NEAFL seems to suck for community clubs.

Last edited:
Hi History. An advantage of using your real name on a forum like this and letting readers know exactly who you are and what your involvement in a club is, is that it can earn you a bit of respect.

A disadvantage is that I can't hide from constructive criticism. I'll try to lift my game with web updates, but as Justa has pointed out, there's not as much news as usual now it's off seeason.

Focus recently has been on retaining as many existing players as possible. We aren't able to offer NEAFL level competition that some are looking for so we are losing a few that way. Also losing a few through the draw of country football and all that it can offer.

Lots of great kids coming up out of our premiership-winning Rising Stars who'll get plenty of opportunities at the highest level we can offer.

Thanks for your support of our website. I'll try to get some newsworthy updates about our signings as soon as I can.
Michael. This was not criticism. Just saying !

B
History1,

I see you just joined us - Welcome, just a little bit of friendly advice, before you post anything on this site, can I suggest you do your homework prior to doing so.

While we within the NEAFL Family in all parts of Australia were all saddened to see Queanbeyan and Belconnen depart the NEAFL after last season - This had nothing to do with funds being given to any current Qld NEAFL Club (to my knowledge). I cannot say the same about Sydney Uni, but to only have 1 side from the largest city in Australia is a joke and the AFL NSW have a lot to answer for in this area.

The 2 Canberra based clubs mentioned above, chose not to participate in this years NEAFL season, again to my knowledge based on them not having the funds to continue, so don't go making comments that the 3 current Qld based clubs are being propped up by the AFL by funding, as these comments are based on fantasy or fiction and they are just not true.

While the 3 Qld Based NEAFL Clubs have their current funds sourced from their hard working administrators at this stage to continue, unlike Morningside, Labrador, Mt Gravatt and Broadbeach - 4 very long serving and successful now AFLQ state league football clubs who chose not to continue in the NEAFL after the 2013 season, due to funding or should I say lack of funding issues, I dare say similar to Queanbeyan and Belconnen's decision this year, there was no AFL funding for these 4 clubs then and still none now - This may not be the case forever, I truly hope not as the NEAFL needs to be as strong as it possibly can be, but only time will tell.

Billy, Billy, Billybunter. It is common knowledge around all NEAFL Clubs of the financial advantages given to Qld and Syd Clubs over and above the Cbr Clubs. Assistance with salaries for staff and non payment of affiliation fees would total approx $150,000. Just ask any General Manager at the NEAFL level.
But thanks for the friendly advice !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B

Billy, Billy, Billybunter. It is common knowledge around all NEAFL Clubs of the financial advantages given to Qld and Syd Clubs over and above the Cbr Clubs. Assistance with salaries for staff and non payment of affiliation fees would total approx $150,000. Just ask any General Manager at the NEAFL level.
But thanks for the friendly advice !

That's a load of rubbish. The qld clubs had an afl funded cdm and that's it. The cdm was on 60 k approx and the afl made us pay fees monthly. The cdm's also had afl duties as part of their jobs so really were part time for the clubs. They were expected to recruit players, get them jobs and fundraise.

The likes of my club Broadbeach,and morningside and mt Gravatt who ran without profitable poker machine venues punched way above their weight with little assistance from the afl. When the afl realised that the clubs actually needed more assistance they instead decided to kick us out.

150 k is just bs. Not sure where that came from. That sort of money would have paid all the bills at our footy club and we wouldn't have had to do anything.

The Canberra clubs have the benefit of profitable licensed venues that that clubs outside the current NEAFL don't have. That's why our cdm's were afl funded for a few years.

Last edited:
That's a load of rubbish. The qld clubs had an afl funded cdm and that's it. The cdm was on 60 k approx and the afl made us pay fees monthly. The cdm's also had afl duties as part of their jobs so really were part time for the clubs. They were expected to recruit players, get them jobs and fundraise.

The likes of my club Broadbeach,and morningside and mt Gravatt who ran without profitable poker machine venues punched way above their weight with little assistance from the afl. When the afl realised that the clubs actually needed more assistance they instead decided to kick us out.

150 k is just bs. Not sure where that came from. That sort of money would have paid all the bills at our footy club and we wouldn't have had to do anything.

The Canberra clubs have the benefit of profitable licensed venues that that clubs outside the current NEAFL don't have. That's why our cdm's were afl funded for a few years.

"2010premier,

Thanks for beating me to the point on this AFL Funding for Grassroot Football - Not in this life time. Quite right in your answer to the above.

In a perfect world 2010premier, we would still have your Broadbeach along with the other 3 ex Qld Clubs playing in the NEAFL, along with all other NSW & ACT Clubs that have had to pull out due to funding constraints if the AFL were funding friendly, but the AFL decided from pressure from their 4 based Northern Clubs that they wanted a competition for their AFL Reserves sides and it was then a Clubs user pay to play only option - What the AFL have wasted this year in manpower, legals and $$$$ on the WADA/Bombers fiasco alone would have funded the NEAFL Comp this year or most of the state leagues in Australia for the next 2 years - "Grassroots footy" The Boys & Girls at AFL House make a lot of noise, but I have always been shown that actions speak louder than words.

A fact overlooked in this debate is that Labrador put forward a viable proposal to stay in the NEAFL but were denied a place as there was only one Gold Coast licence which was always going to Southport, so it was not all about funding. Football politics were in full swing in the backrooms, boardrooms and liquid lunches.

"2010premier,

Thanks for beating me to the point on this AFL Funding for Grassroot Football - Not in this life time. Quite right in your answer to the above.

In a perfect world 2010premier, we would still have your Broadbeach along with the other 3 ex Qld Clubs playing in the NEAFL, along with all other NSW & ACT Clubs that have had to pull out due to funding constraints if the AFL were funding friendly, but the AFL decided from pressure from their 4 based Northern Clubs that they wanted a competition for their AFL Reserves sides and it was then a Clubs user pay to play only option - What the AFL have wasted this year in manpower, legals and $$$$ on the WADA/Bombers fiasco alone would have funded the NEAFL Comp this year or most of the state leagues in Australia for the next 2 years - "Grassroots footy" The Boys & Girls at AFL House make a lot of noise, but I have always been shown that actions speak louder than words.
Good post Billy, I see the AFL's current position along the lines of the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, they are at a major crossroad in the games history but 25 plus years of the National Competition have left it lazy and complacent.Its decision makers have come through networks of self interest and everybody wants to get their hands in the cookie jar. Watch how the AFLPA is manouvering to extract more money for the elite players while the grass roots of the game in even the heartlands of country Victoria is struggling, the commission and the executive need to seek counsel from those with out self interest to ascertain the true state of the game.This will not happen.

They will probably be relieved when forums like this one go very quiet as the criticism quietens down, my warning is that indifference is the real enemy because that indicates the passion has evaporated and that passion, not good management drives the money engine for the AFL.

Not quite true Premier. You may not have seen it due to Broadbeach being out this year but the three clubs in Qld also had extra assistance. Redlands and Aspley by way of another AFLQ employee seconded to the clubs. Total value would have approached History's number I imagine??

On the other hand, the subsidies have come from AFLQ, not AFL or "NEAFL". If anyone has issue, maybe AFL NSW/ACT have something to answer to for inequities. It appears the state leagues still control many arrangements despite the AFL umbrella.

By the way, the subsidies have been significantly reduced for the coming year and in circumstances that have left the clubs suddenly in a bit of a bad space!!

First of all, let me state my skin in the game - I'm not involved with Sydney Uni nor SH Eagles. I follow local Sydney footy, but I live nearby so I called in a few times to watch the Eagles and SydUni. I think I even saw Michael Goiser running the water one day. I'm famous and a spokesman as you can see.
Not.

I have watched as the two Sydney community clubs rolled the dice; I even went to Dairy Farmers (Qbn) one day while in Canberra visiting family. I can tell you that players have come from Northern Victoria, from Qld, country NSW (distant country NSW even), NT, PNG and Polynesia to the NSW/ACT clubs because they thought it might be their chance for glory via the newly formed Giants I suppose. Mostly bombed out but some have now made it onto an AFL list - I suppose it's the same in Qld and NT.
But now these clubs have given up the fight and their blow-ins have mostly gone back where they came from. You can't blame NEAFL for that...many roll the dice but few are chosen.
I agree with your many posts Stuyd1 that NEAFL seems to suck unless you are an AFL club - it does - but be fair to the the community clubs who are willing to wear all the crap that goes with blow-ins, and fair to those blow-ins who go back. They shouldn't be counted in your stats.

But you're right at the end of the day - NEAFL seems to suck for community clubs.

Having watched from afar, and had some inside information relayed onto me, local community clubs have no chance of lasting or competing in the NEAFL. Just ask the Eagles who found themselves over $350K in debt after 3 years (announced at their club presentation night). Their president and board were axed and the new president has provided some insight into the issues he and the new board faced on a Sydney AFL forum. After reading that and asking a few questions, I have come to realise that they were simply days away from closing the doors on a once proud club. Ultimately they walk away with nothing and no benefit whatsoever out of it at all. Unbelievable that they persisted for 3 years.

Good post Billy, I see the AFL's current position along the lines of the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, they are at a major crossroad in the games history but 25 plus years of the National Competition have left it lazy and complacent.Its decision makers have come through networks of self interest and everybody wants to get their hands in the cookie jar. Watch how the AFLPA is manouvering to extract more money for the elite players while the grass roots of the game in even the heartlands of country Victoria is struggling, the commission and the executive need to seek counsel from those with out self interest to ascertain the true state of the game.This will not happen.

They will probably be relieved when forums like this one go very quiet as the criticism quietens down, my warning is that indifference is the real enemy because that indicates the passion has evaporated and that passion, not good management drives the money engine for the AFL.

Right Back at you LAB1, its good to see you back.

Your very good shot through the heart post above regarding the greed and self interest associated currently is liked to the state of Australian Cricket at the moment, the crowds for the recent International 20x20's and ODI's were abysmal considering the past years support and one was wondering if there was a lack of interest in our Second National game due to this evaporation of passion due to a somewhat off the rails administration not connecting with the wants of the grass root supporter base. It looks like it may have taken an absolute Tragedy in the recent, one can only describe as tragic loss of life in the passing of Phil Hughes RIP, to maybe blend the public perception of the game at present to remind all what it is, the game represents, a game that can only be played for a very some times for some a very short time frame if at all. This passing may reverse the seemingly current trend as due to the falling numbers on seats, to hopefully galvanize the game as the peoples game and not one owned by administrators and spoilt overpaid performers who take this game as their birth rite and not a privilege.

I hope the current administrators of this Countries No1 game, the AFL administration take a look and smell the roses, as there are a lot of grass root supporters of AFL football, who are disillusioned with the current state of play as it were, It would be another bad thing for us AFL Supporters to lose the support of the people (simular to what the ACB was experiencing) we currently have to the dark side of which many (who by the gate figures are growing in numbers every year) are calling the only Australian Game "wash my tongue with soap" Soccer.

Having watched from afar, and had some inside information relayed onto me, local community clubs have no chance of lasting or competing in the NEAFL. Just ask the Eagles who found themselves over $350K in debt after 3 years (announced at their club presentation night). Their president and board were axed and the new president has provided some insight into the issues he and the new board faced on a Sydney AFL forum. After reading that and asking a few questions, I have come to realise that they were simply days away from closing the doors on a once proud club. Ultimately they walk away with nothing and no benefit whatsoever out of it at all. Unbelievable that they persisted for 3 years.

Chook,
spot on here . This current structure of the Neafl comp is heading to doomsday. When this happens, where will the AFL RESSIE SIDES PLAY.

Chook,
spot on here . This current structure of the Neafl comp is heading to doomsday. When this happens, where will the AFL RESSIE SIDES PLAY.
IMO, the AFL ressies sides should join the VFL comp.This comp will give them the standard of play their players need and the cost will be not much more then in the current neafl format come travel etc etc

If that happened stuy then any talented qld or nsw footballer would have to head down south and/or go play rugby.

It would be disasterous for footy up here. The opportunity to play against listed players is critical for young players chasing the dream.

If that happened stuy then any talented qld or nsw footballer would have to head down south and/or go play rugby.

It would be disasterous for footy up here. The opportunity to play against listed players is critical for young players chasing the dream.

Spot on 2010 - its dumb imo to suggest otherwise. No one will get drafted, elite kids will fly the coop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back