NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

And the QAFL will revert back to the basket case it was 2 years ago despite what ppl on here "believe" it was prior to the evolution of the NEAFL. It was a comp going backwards rapidly, clubs heading out of business, a comp revolving around 3-4 clubs and no pathway for the elite young talent to be drafted from, the AFL clubs dominating (when they chose to) and bitching and moaning about the haves and have nots (still).

If that happened stuy then any talented qld or nsw footballer would have to head down south and/or go play rugby.

It would be disasterous for footy up here. The opportunity to play against listed players is critical for young players chasing the dream.

Mate, agree with you to some extent. Fact is, the majority of kids drafted are because of their performances at competitions such as TAC cup level, and the annual all Australian state competition/carnival. ( the old Teal Cup)They are drafted more on these performances ( plus their results at the annual combine program), more then a youngster playing a few games in the NEAFL, against AFL ressie sides.

Mate, agree with you to some extent. Fact is, the majority of kids drafted are because of their performances at competitions such as TAC cup level, and the annual all Australian state competition/carnival. ( the old Teal Cup)They are drafted more on these performances ( plus their results at the annual combine program), more then a youngster playing a few games in the NEAFL, against AFL ressie sides.

"stuyd1,

I have got to disagree with this post mate, Harris and Dawson from Aspley, even though they were part of the Lions Academy, they were drafted because the held there own in the NEAFL Comp this past season, along with the other NSW and Canberra players who were drafted, they to came out of the NEAFL competition as well, the other boys who were rookied from the NEAFL - IMO who may be a bit more dubious, they all had some reasonable form playing in playing in this 2nd tier AFL - NEAFL Comp.

There was one season only, that I think from memory where 12 Qld players were drafted or rookied to AFL Clubs under Craig McRae's (Fly's) coaching and most of them played for a season or two and then disappeared from the radar.

The only way recruiters checking on kids to see if they can play from Qld, is to watch them play against men in an open competition which is the NEAFL, if you wish to live in a Vacuum and think kids can make it in the AFL senior Competition by playing well in a second best (2nd tier Division 2) under 18 Australian Carnival side or playing against a TAC Cup side on occasions then good luck.

I am sure that the AFL have a quota system (to keep a sh-t pile of people employed and feeling important), where a certain number of 18 year olds must get drafted each year, but these guys are playing in the current recognized apparent AFL Football States, VIC, SA, WA.

The other boys even those in the Giants, Swans, Suns & Lions Academies still seem that they must prove themselves in the NEAFL to go any further toward fulfilling their dream of playing AFL at the highest level.

Drop the NEAFL concept and we will go back to the bad old days, where we will be lucky to get 2 kids drafted per year per state and territory for sure, as clubs are not going to gamble on untried body on body boys (who if given time may get there) when real players who are proven and are ready to go are available.

Agree BB - kids don't get drafted on the back of the National Carnival, it contributes to the picture but isn't the #1 reason if they can't get a kick in the season footy and the NEAFL is now supposed to = the equivalent of footy elsewhere.

Agree BB - kids don't get drafted on the back of the National Carnival, it contributes to the picture but isn't the #1 reason if they can't get a kick in the season footy and the NEAFL is now supposed to = the equivalent of footy elsewhere.

I said in reply to 2010 Premiers post, I agree on these areas which you guys have repeated. But comps like the TAC Cup, the National Carnival and the draft combine have by far delivered the most drafts and the issue of being able to play a few games at a senior level against older mature and experienced players contributes as well, ... no doubt about that, but it is of a lesser priority when it comes to the overall required criteria to be drafted.
These days a young talent is judged more by his overall athletic ability, skills ability , mental aptitude and attitude. These qualities rank well before the issue of the young guy playing a few games at a NEAFL level.Admit, that if a young talented guy has played a number of games at VFL,WAFL,and SANFL levels and played well, then this very much increases their chances of being drafted.

And would have weighted heavily Damo for sure. No coincidence that SA produce a disproportionate number of AFL draftees Stuy as their boys play senior footy as well as Div 1 Nat Champs. Don't play against TAC sides. Bottom line is the NEAFL in its current format significantly increases the chances of kids getting drafted. Its not just being drafted either but being drafted as a high number. Is the difference bn being taken 3rd or 4th rd vs 1st or 2nd. Leabe the NEAFL as it is and the QAFL for a few years. See how it pans out before tinkering with it again. If the Qld teams can't come up with the $$ required then start reducing their costs a little bit. Not everyone will need to play for big $$ nor be involved as a coach. Not sure what TAC sides pay their coaches but would suggest it isn't too much north of $20k for the year.

I see Southport have anounced 4 new signings including Bock's brother who is a 205cm ruckman and was on the Bombers list for a while.
Also a few others who have been doing well in NEAFL at other clubs for a couple of years and seem to have been close to being drafted at least one a couple of years ago going by news around the net.

Key defender, ruckman and 2 midfielders for a good mix!

I see Southport have anounced 4 new signings including Bock's brother who is a 205cm ruckman and was on the Bombers list for a while.
Also a few others who have been doing well in NEAFL at other clubs for a couple of years and seem to have been close to being drafted at least one a couple of years ago going by news around the net.

Key defender, ruckman and 2 midfielders for a good mix!

They will need them considering what they have lost

It's been fun being on this forum in 2014 and I wish all our post-ers a happy and safe Christmas.
And may 2015 be an even better one for our comp, and our forum.

Thanks to you all for your contributions and for the good spirit that you have shown in keeping it all reasonably upbeat.

Who knows whether NEAFL has a future...I have my doubts.....but if it flops then it won't be for lack of interest from all of us.

Take it easy to you all.

It's been fun being on this forum in 2014 and I wish all our post-ers a happy and safe Christmas.
And may 2015 be an even better one for our comp, and our forum.

Thanks to you all for your contributions and for the good spirit that you have shown in keeping it all reasonably upbeat.

Who knows whether NEAFL has a future...I have my doubts.....but if it flops then it won't be for lack of interest from all of us.

Take it easy to you all.

Thanks justabraker, Same message from me. Have a good xmas everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarred Brennan to sharks reported by terry Wilson in the gc bulletin the other day. Very good pick up if he has a crack but that's a big if

Yes Mate totally agree, If this report is correct, if he comes to play he will be great for the club and the comp, if he plays like he played at the Suns then he will be a waste of salary cap (which I would imagine would be vast). Bocky will need to use the best part of his people skills with JB past form, one would think.

Do we know of any other club pick ups or losses out there to date? It all sounds a little airy and quite at the moment - Aspley keeping it tight lipped currently with any new playing staff announcements - I would have thought they would have been over-active, in trying to secure some new quality, to cover for their losses they have had?

Yes Mate totally agree, If this report is correct, if he comes to play he will be great for the club and the comp, if he plays like he played at the Suns then he will be a waste of salary cap (which I would imagine would be vast). Bocky will need to use the best part of his people skills with JB past form, one would think.

Do we know of any other club pick ups or losses out there to date? It all sounds a little airy and quite at the moment - Aspley keeping it tight lipped currently with any new playing staff announcements - I would have thought they would have been over-active, in trying to secure some new quality, to cover for their losses they have had?
Think Blairy will cover losses with current and new young kids. John is the best in developing them. Tomo to Vic Country another loss ?

I know a few of the young kids were sat down last training session and told unlikely they would make the NEAFL squad. All were State 18 players this year so obviously a high bar has been set which is no doubt a good thing.

Think Blairy will cover losses with current and new young kids. John is the best in developing them. Tomo to Vic Country another loss ?

Wow chickka, another one gone from the 2014 Premiership side, back to back may be a struggle - This has been kept quiet, I had not heard of this on the grapevine (any idea of what club or league?) - That is about 7 so far (even though one was drafted by the Lions) - 2015 may be a challenging year for the Hornets, although I am sure JB will have a gameplan to counter these losses as long as there are no more that we don't know about????

One thing that was out on the grapevine, that is apparently occurring (this was out there at the end of last season), is a great club man is getting married in Italy through the coming season, which will test the NEAFL and State Association sides for one or two weeks, as more than a few players have been invited and are locked in, so I have heard!!!!!! Footy or a week or two weeks worth of summer in Italy mmmm, where the hell is my invite?????

Last edited:
I know a few of the young kids were sat down last training session and told unlikely they would make the NEAFL squad. All were State 18 players this year so obviously a high bar has been set which is no doubt a good thing.

smy1305,

I don't know who they are going to use if the State 18's who played at the club last year are unlikely, as per your post above.

With the loss of Jed Turner - NSW, Bushey Copeland - Noosa, Liam Dawson - Lions, Harris Andrews - Lions, Ryno Mathews - Tassie, Austin Lucy - NSW and now as chickka has posted Riffo Thompson - VIC, along with a few others who were on the 2014 playing list and who seem doubtful as they have not yet committed, this group is a huge part of the footy clubs core and they had a lot to do with the clubs 2014 fairytale success - I would imagine and hope that there will be a huge quality influx into the club to cover for these players mentioned above, but there has been not one word on the grapevine to date.
JB and Perko are again playing a very good game of poker I would say - I can only submise and trust them that there could be some very good players missing from some other Qld clubs and all Australian States to cover for the above losses.

Well hornets unveil one new player Matt Little the story looks good might push some of the smalls.

Has Daniel smith left?

Picked up Eddie mallan also

Mathews big loss,
Lucy front runner,
Dawson & Andrews hardly played.
Thompson solid player but replaceable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back