AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah was great opening night.

WadupBud

Draftee
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Same thing happened during the Wanderers ACL campaign, they had to rename Pirtek Stadium back to Parramatta Stadium.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I know.

It was a comment on the contract requirements for clean grounds and the way the signage was covered.

Officially for this tournament it is MRS not AAMI.
So have you gone to an Asian Cup game at the stadium generally known as AAMI Park but known as MRS for the purposes of the AFC's clean stadia policy?

WagonBang

All Australian
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
So have you gone to an Asian Cup game at the stadium generally known as AAMI Park but known as MRS for the purposes of the AFC's clean stadia policy?
It's been great fun at Swan Street so far. Australia game was cracking then the Iran game. The fans were amazing. They cheered everything and the roar at the goals.
North Korea had most of the 13k in attendance on there side. Was hilarious the scenes in the stadium when they scored the opening. Thought they'd won the bloody comp.

Will only be able to make Japan v Jordon game now but if you get a chance, go along. Well worth it. Japan game almost a sell out for Tuesday night. Also quarter final Thursday night is almost a sell out too with only Cat A left.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Where's the best place to park - son wants to go to the City - Glory match 22nd Feb (twilight start I think)
Is there anything on at the MCG or Rod Laver that night? If not there should be plenty of spots to park (just across the river for example) if not you might struggle to find free parking.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Be interesting to know what a clean stadium cost to rent versus the normal set up. Guess the same would apply to clean stadiums at the G & Docklands.

Last edited:

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Be interesting to know what a clean stadium cost to rent versus the normal set up. Guess the same would apply to clean stadiums at the G & Docklands.
the Dockers & Eagles use Subiaco oval at a clean rental cost & going by their financial set up they do very well out of it as oppose to the SA & Melbourne clubs that use Etihad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
the Dockers & Eagles use Subiaco oval at a clean rental cost & going by their financial set up they do very well out of it as oppose to the SA & Melbourne clubs that use Etihad

Indeed, be an interesting comparison of what can be gleaned from the Financials (well done to your good self & The Wookie).

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Would all have to be done WAY in advance, as contracts would need to be worked around it or have amendments made.
Can't just call up AAMI Park and be like "we will hire on the 24th of October, but you'll need to put Pepsi in your fridges instead of Coke".

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
New record sporting attendance set at last nights A-League Grand Final.

:thumbsu: ... imagine how Melbourne Major Events (aka Vic taxpayers) felt with the game getting an international audience (300 mil claimed?), no Melbourne signage. Missed opportunity courtesy of a stuff up.

WagonBang

All Australian
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
:thumbsu: ... imagine how Melbourne Major Events (aka Vic taxpayers) felt with the game getting an international audience (300 mil claimed?), no Melbourne signage. Missed opportunity courtesy of a stuff up.
I think they worded this wrong. Should have been said it is broadcasted to 300million homes but not viewed by 300million.

It was an experience that Ill never forget. The best sporting atmosphere I've ever been in. It was a once in a life time experience as Swan Street will never host a Grand Final again unless its upgraded. 29k there felt as loud as 100k at the G. The roar at the first goal in the 32nd min was deafening. This game did not loose anything because 25k were locked out. If anything the 24k members that were created one of the most amazing atmospheres the A-League and Australian domestic sport has ever seen.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
I think they worded this wrong. Should have been said it is broadcasted to 300million homes but not viewed by 300million.

It was an experience that Ill never forget. The best sporting atmosphere I've ever been in. It was a once in a life time experience as Swan Street will never host a Grand Final again unless its upgraded. 29k there felt as loud as 100k at the G. The roar at the first goal in the 32nd min was deafening. This game did not loose anything because 25k were locked out. If anything the 24k members that were created one of the most amazing atmospheres the A-League and Australian domestic sport has ever seen.

One of the greatest days of my life! I didn't go to the first two GFs, but I was at the 2010 loss to Sydney at Etihad. 30K at AAMI produced ten times the atmosphere that 50K at Etihad would have. Prior to yesterday the best atmosphere I had experienced was a Premier League game at Anfield. I think that topped it last night.

The "We are Champions" chant after Kosta's goal and the ensuing "Melbourne boys are still no. 1" chant in which the entire stadium participated was just magic! As was the pre-match Stand By Me. It's just a shame upon watching the replay to see that Fox Sports turned the mics in front of the Sydney fans right up to make it sound like they were matching us for volume. Completely misrepresented what was happening in the stadium.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

The CEO was questioned on this claim on ABC radio & definitively claimed the 300 mil audience, rejecting it was the number broadcast to, it was viewers.

WagonBang

All Australian
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
It's just a shame upon watching the replay to see that Fox Sports turned the mics in front of the Sydney fans right up to make it sound like they were matching us for volume. Completely misrepresented what was happening in the stadium.
I watched the replay yesterday and it seemed as if the producers kept playing with the mics every few minutes. At some stages the crowd noise was threw the roof and then it was dulled down instantly then you'd hear the faint chant of the Cove to have it then turned right up as if they were drowning out the stadium. Just sounded botched all match. I say in Bay 20 (2 across from The Cove) and to there Credit there was a few times they were very loud but they were never as loud as the wall of noise from the North and South boys at other end of stadium.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Went to the match and was by far the best atmosphere at any sporting match I have ever seen. Would attend a lot more AFL games than I currently do if it was even close to what the Semi Final/GF produced. A full house at Etihad or 70k at the MCG is not even comparable.

The best stadium in this country for spectators imo.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Good stadium but atrocious to sit in if you're tall. Rows got to be a good 20-30cm narrower than the MCG and Etihad. Just no space at all, 90º leg bend angle as soon as you sit down. I'm a Victory active area member (where everyone stands behind the goals) and even sitting down at half time you feel the pain. Whoever designed it ****ed that up.

Back