Other Ways To Watch AFL

I have come to the realization that I subscribe to Foxtel simply so I can watch footy whenever I want. I am only just starting to fully understand the potential of my smart TV and internet streaming yet still can't cross the final footy frontier. Even while on holidays all over the U.S I managed to find a way to watch every game I wanted to. Surely there are now non Foxtel options to watch the games you want on a normal TV?

May 15, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have come to the realization that I subscribe to Foxtel simply so I can watch footy whenever I want. I am only just starting to fully understand the potential of my smart TV and internet streaming yet still can't cross the final footy frontier. Even while on holidays all over the U.S I managed to find a way to watch every game I wanted to. Surely there are now non Foxtel options to watch the games you want on a normal TV?
Last year I used my missus' Ipad and Apple Tv. I just subscribed for the season on the app with the Ipad and then used Apple air to send it across to the Apple TV. The quality was about the same as SD. I was surprised it looked as good as it did but one of my mates tried the same method and his didn't look any good at all. Maybe my internet is faster than his.

THATSGOLD

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Youtube has a lot of old replays these days. Great to watch some 90s footy.

Jun 23, 2014
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
There are other teams?
It is all available via the internet. You can subscribe to the AFL Live app and have every game streamed to whatever device and mirror it on your TV (if you have those capabilities) or subscribe to Foxtel play (maybe? not sure if they do the sport) for cheaper than a standard subscription. The Telstra T-Box used to have access to every AFL game for a small fee as well.

All these internet options are great to have but unless you are on Cable, NBN or have over 12 - 15 Mbits download you won't get good quality picture and may experience buffering during the broadcast.

After looking around I found this. Hope it helps bud.

It is all available via the internet. You can subscribe to the AFL Live app and have every game streamed to whatever device and mirror it on your TV (if you have those capabilities) or subscribe to Foxtel play (maybe? not sure if they do the sport) for cheaper than a standard subscription. The Telstra T-Box used to have access to every AFL game for a small fee as well.

All these internet options are great to have but unless you are on Cable, NBN or have over 12 - 15 Mbits download you won't get good quality picture and may experience buffering during the broadcast.

After looking around I found this. Hope it helps bud.
Thanks mate, very helpful. The issue I have is that I am moving house before the season starts and want to avoid getting foxtel.
I just don't want to get all the boys round to watch the game and have it ruined by unreliable internet connections and syncing.

ive tried watching it while having sex
Yep done that too. Also a few years ago whilst Dermie was singing on the GF footy show which both my wife and I didn't care much for at the time. We still giggle like school kids when we see Dermie on TV

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses
Not aFoxtel fan.
But this is starting to get tempting.
http://www.foxtel.com.au/shop/get-f...EaEPQvPGT47WMpw2u_WBM4As9_4qAqbdRQaAi0-8P8HAQ

A little over a dollar per game in a 4 week cycle.

I used to have Foxtel and it was the reason why I got it way back with Foxfooty version 1.0 circa 2001? But I currently don't have it as we are renovating so it's made me look at the options again for when we move back in.

Pros :
Foxtel is really easy to use and I love the live pausing of TV.
24hr Foxfooty channel.
Series recording linking.
Remote recording via mobile was very handy.

Cons :
Foxtel is not HD content unless you pay an extra $10 a month. https://www.foxtel.com.au/shop/channel-pack/default.htm
I can only re-watch games I've saved or wait for a replay.
Streaming options are much better these days - like http://watchafl.afl.com.au/help which for $150 I can stream up to 720p and watch all matches PLUS archive.

I'm starting to think streaming is the obvious way to go especially with regards to watching archive matches on demand.

Can anyone shed their experience with watchafl.com.au ? Is it worth it? How much extra bandwidth is it presuming you don't be an unlimited cap?

Can anyone shed their experience with watchafl.com.au ? Is it worth it? How much extra bandwidth is it presuming you don't be an unlimited cap?

Isn't it only available outside Australia?

I subscribed to the live pass last year and it was appailing. Yes I live in the country and my internet may not be very good, but it was rubbish. First game i tried to watch I ended up turning it off and listening to the radio.

I understand it's all about money, but the easier the AFL make it for people to watch the greater the audience. It's the best way to grow your market AFL!

Buena

Club Legend
Jul 7, 2009
Adelaide Hills, SA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool; Brisbane Roar
For anyone thinking about Foxtel Play, you can only access Fox Footy channel through a Samsung smart TV or Blu Ray player. It's not available through Play streaming on your PC.
This was my only option as my apartment isn't wired for Fox, so I bought a Samsung smart Blu Ray player, and stream it through the built in Fox app. Only problem is my Optus Internet is rubbish, and it drops out 3-5 times per quarter. Really, I'd be better off just going to the pub.....

May 15, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Streaming options are much better these days - like http://watchafl.afl.com.au/help which for $150 I can stream up to 720p and watch all matches PLUS archive.

I'm starting to think streaming is the obvious way to go especially with regards to watching archive matches on demand.

watchafl.com.au is only for customers outside of Australia. You could use a VPN to watch this but without a VPN you will not be allowed to view it. VPN's generally slow your connection a little as well but if you have 10mbps plus, you should be ok with the right VPN service. I haven't tried UnoDNS or similar DNS work around methods with this site but I dare say they will not work because watchafl.com.au will not be in their database.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
I used to have Foxtel and it was the reason why I got it way back with Foxfooty version 1.0 circa 2001? But I currently don't have it as we are renovating so it's made me look at the options again for when we move back in.

Pros :
Foxtel is really easy to use and I love the live pausing of TV.
24hr Foxfooty channel.
Series recording linking.
Remote recording via mobile was very handy.

Cons :
Foxtel is not HD content unless you pay an extra $10 a month. https://www.foxtel.com.au/shop/channel-pack/default.htm
I can only re-watch games I've saved or wait for a replay.

Without knowing fully, I can only find FoxFooty as channel 504 on their channel guide.
Now 504 states it is HD. So without an alternative channel I expect the $50 sport package to have HD FoxFooty.
Someone who signs up may be able to clarify.
And as far as watching the games you want to again, isn't that as easy as setting the box to record the game to start with. It is a PVR after all.

Streaming sounds good, but I'm yet to find a reliable source. And the quality, even from the official site, is unsuitable for large screens.
And without a decent NBN setup I doubt if is worth trying at this stage.
We are third world in the Internet stakes.

Trickster

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
2 years ago, I subscribed on a yearly pass to the afl live app and watched through iPad for $90. It was a bit hit and miss with quality so didn't bother last year.

I've recently moved onto telstra prepaid after my contract expired. Apparently, if you recharge on $30 per month (you get unlimited SMS, $220 worth of calls, 800mb downloads to use in 28 days) but the beauty is you can use some of your recharge credit to use on a monthly afl pass through the afl live app (which would normally cost $15 per month). So effectively you don't pay anything extra other than it just reduces your credit balance (which would otherwise just keep accumulating if you stay within the parameters above). You can then keep doing this each month.

Now I haven't done this, though I'm planning to as I only moved to prepaid a couple of months ago, so I can't comment on the exact process and how it all works, but if you google telstra prepaid and whirlpool forum it's amazing how much can information can be gained from it. It doesn't specify afl live, but if you look at the section what I can do with unused credit balance, it talks about using for app purchases etc.

Jun 23, 2014
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
There are other teams?
I have Foxtel and couldn't live without it. Up in Brisbane if the Lions or Broncos aren't playing you aren't guaranteed to have coverage.

Anyway, I pay $80/month and have every channel bar the movie set. I don't get any pay per views or main event stuff and I have the HD option as well. I'm loosely in the media industry and have found the Fox box the best PVR available apart from TiVo.

All the options you receive as part of the package make it worthwhile for me. I use Foxtel Go on my Telstra work phone to watch the Footy and it is uncapped data. I can remote in and record whatever, whenever.

Also I watch the Super Rugby and the EPL so I view it as value for money. The wife and kids watch and record their crap shows as well. I think we have 34 episodes of Modern Family recorded ... Seriously WTF?.

Back