2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Players will go to where they are paid the most (or many will). Naive to think otherwise - happesn in all leagues around Australia, not sure why the SE corner of Qld is any different. All 3 NEAFL clubs would come back to the QAFL, loaded up with a bank account 4-5x that of most of the other clubs and just throw it around at both senior and junior level. The QAFL is just fine right now and like it was said, in due course it will even itself out. Promotion / relegation is fine if the side going up is cashed up and can find another 4-6 quality players without losing anyone.

Any news guys.... Hear Cresswell is trying to lure Todd Bryant back to the Wodonga Raiders,,,, any news on this you Palmy supporters.
Big Mitch Brewer may be coming back to Broady, but Ben Hancock and young Josh Holland are training with Southport. Don't know if ex broady players that played for Southport in 2014, be it , Wells, Burton and Mckenzie are staying at Southport . any news with this 2010 Premier.

Burton staying at sharks. Wells in Victoria and I'm not sure if he is coming back. Mackenzie is training at sharks.

I've heard that a number of clubs are courting Bryant and offering good coin but also that he may stay at palmy.

Cats have had good numbers pre season and seem to be tracking better than this time last year. Time will tell.

By the way I started a new thread for 2015 a while back but it doesn't show at the top of the page. Maybe a smart person can sort that

Burton staying at sharks. Wells in Victoria and I'm not sure if he is coming back. Mackenzie is training at sharks.

I've heard that a number of clubs are courting Bryant and offering good coin but also that he may stay at palmy.

Cats have had good numbers pre season and seem to be tracking better than this time last year. Time will tell.

By the way I started a new thread for 2015 a while back but it doesn't show at the top of the page. Maybe a smart person can sort that

Good call Premier - Cats have picked up some returning stars that should push them into a genuine chance. Still have Morningside and Labrador ahead though.

Good call Premier - Cats have picked up some returning stars that should push them into a genuine chance. Still have Morningside and Labrador ahead though.

I hear Geary is leaving Southport as well... big loss, would luv him back at Broady, Anyone know if he is staying in qld or moving back south.

I hear tod Bryant has put pen to paper for wodonga Raiders as a fly down player every week! Any word on any more gains and players moving on from clubs I hear broadbeach looking ok and palmy not recruited anyone one after losing 8-9 senior players from last year! I hear also grange looking good with recruits

Buntain would be in Aspley's best 22 if he committed to playing NEAFL footy. He left at the start of 2014 season of his own accord, certainly no one at Aspley asked him to leave. FFS, he was nearly rookie listed the year previous! Word is that he is looking at playing there again.

Buntain would be in Aspley's best 22 if he committed to playing NEAFL footy. He left at the start of 2014 season of his own accord, certainly no one at Aspley asked him to leave. FFS, he was nearly rookie listed the year previous! Word is that he is looking at playing there again.

I would be interested to see who's spot you would think he would take out of that side??

But yes he definitely left on his own accord one week out from round 1 not sure if they would take him back

All this talk about buntain I remember watching him a couple of years back for Noosa and watching full forwards kick a few bags on him so how all this talk about Aspley and nearly getting rookie drafted is beyond me!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah - just the facts. Ask any person from Morningside circa 2013 their opinion of him. Aspley were gutted when he decided to play locally at Noosa at the beginning of 2014. Noosa were stoked but probably also hoping that they would have a 2nd kid in 2 years drafted (Freeman being the 1st).
But on the other hand there are plenty of quality kids that come out of the sunshine coast, unfortunately the factor of having to travel down a traffic full Bruce Hwy to train and play stifles some of their progress but so be it. Everyone has obstacles. We are hoping that a few more kids from here take their opportunities when presented bc we have an extremely high quality group coming through, in fact 1 boy would near be considered the best in the land for his age.

we have an extremely high quality group coming through, in fact 1 boy would near be considered the best in the land for his age.

I assume you are talking in the 18-21year age group . Because from what I've seen in the youth football, last year U15, U16, GC won both titles and individual players dominating games were from GC. U17 as bottom age u18 I am not sure about, so this 'considered best in country' I assume is 18+ or U12;)

GC won the 15's by coming from 51/2 goals down midway thru 3rd qrt. Great effort but knocked SC over by 3pts - not exactly convincing. 2 boys from SC made AA 15's, 1 from GC (who came from nowhere but extremely deserved all the same. Big, old style ruckman and great kid). The GC 16's weren't exactly dominant either but again did well to win the State title (mind you so thry should, the population they get to select from is larger than Tasmania's!!). Won't name the boy on here from the SC because not overly fair on him but lets just say he was the absolute standout at 15's nationals last year, EVERY recruiter was talking about him and this was in a side that lost to a combined Vic side by 2 goals in the GF. A sensational effort. The kid is a bit of all rounder and just received a scholarship to the AIS for basketball as well... Who knows which way he will go but he is a young Nick Reiwoldt if I have ever seen one. BTW the GC boys were outstanding as well and goes to my point that there is a fair degree of local talent coming through in the next couple of years. With another SC boy in Eric Hipwood in the AIS level 1 squad (there you go, another SC boy :) ) plus Keays from Morningside we can hope that we will have another 2 get into the big show this time next year plus maybe some others.

Yes, that u15s game was an amazing come back now you remind
me. And the SC kid can definitely play. See him more as a mobile ruckman from what I've seen, but could be a forward as you say (if he doesn't go to basketball).

Does SC have u16s this year for the local comp?

Being DIV2 next year, unfortunately that group won't get to test themselves against the best in the country.

However, to get the thread back on topic, quite a few of the u17 GC boys will be playing QAFL, I wonder if the SC boys are also making the jump.

Sunny coast has 17s in the local comp but maroochy looking to play a 16s in bris I think. Re 17s playing in the qafl, that is our issue here. Just too far for most to do this. The GC boys have a few options, ours don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back