T20I 2022 Mens T20 World Cup (in Australia, postponed from 2020)

What T20 World Cup games will you attend?

• Perth ENG vs AFG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hobart GA1 vs GB2

• Hobart Double Header - BAN vs GA2, RSA vs GB2

• Perth PAK vs GB1

• GABBA BAN vs GB1

• AO Double Header (1) GB1 vs GA2, IND vs BAN

• AO Double Header (3) RSA vs GA2, PAK vs BAN

• MCG IND vs GB1

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel your pain, Perth got shafted too! Australia vs . Afghanistan, woohoo (even worse than your Australia v. Bangladesh match) and no final just like the Gabba. The only game worth attending (India v. West Indies) is on a friday rather than on the weekend too :/ (but I'm still going!). Given NZ won't be co-hosting the 2020 tournament I'm sure Brisbane will get a final. I just hope that it's at the expense of Adelaide or Melbourne (both of whom did very well this time) rather than us again.
best state to live in, but the furthest place for the nuffies in Sydney to travel. so have the lowest drawing game there

Yep, at least it's meaningful. But of luck it's 16+ teams. I'm going to go ballsy and call for 20. 4 groups of 5. This way, makes it harder for an Associate to sneak through and ruin India's exposure (Gotta think in TV $$$ terms here!!!)

Right now that would make the groups look something like this

Sri Lanka
England
Ireland
Hong Kong
UAE

India
New Zealand
Bangladesh
Nepal
PNG

Pakistan
West Indies
Netherlands
Scotland
Namibia

Australia
South Africa
Afghanistan
Zimbabwe
Kenya

Associates get 4 games exposure, but likely need 3 wins to progress

I reckon it might go similar to the last T20 World Cup - the associates and low-end full member teams like Bangladesh and Zimbabwe play in a qualifying week before the first round proper starts with 10 teams.

Oh ok, bonus. Don't see why NZ wouldn't want to host it, maybe we negotiated that next time the region is going to host it they can do it alone

Possibly. Previous tournaments have only used three grounds, so New Zealand could comfortably hold the tournament using Eden Park, the Cake Tin, and if they rebuild a stadium in Christchurch, use that as well.

This also means I reckon there will be some very disappointed people in Australia as we'll probably only use 3 grounds too.

Possibly. Previous tournaments have only used three grounds, so New Zealand could comfortably hold the tournament using Eden Park, the Cake Tin, and if they rebuild a stadium in Christchurch, use that as well.

This also means I reckon there will be some very disappointed people in Australia as we'll probably only use 3 grounds too.

Yeah, T20 WC really only needs one host nation. I mean if Bangladesh did it alone it means Australia/New Zealand should be able to do the same.

Kiwis would struggle to get access to the grounds due to rugby. I reckon their window to play it in would be even less than it is here.

So the men's is still 16 teams but there is still that "group stage" which is a glorified qualifier but atleast this time 2 more teams will qualify to the "super 12" (god that is a bad name) with 2 groups of 6. So if the last WC was like this then the Netherlands and Zimbabwe would have gotten through to the main draw as well.

The top 8 T20 teams at the end of 2018 will qualify automatically to super 12 right now Afghanistan have a real chance of doing this and Sri Lanka might miss out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the men's is still 16 teams but there is still that "group stage" which is a glorified qualifier but atleast this time 2 more teams will qualify to the "super 12" (god that is a bad name) with 2 groups of 6. So if the last WC was like this then the Netherlands and Zimbabwe would have gotten through to the main draw as well.

The top 8 T20 teams at the end of 2018 will qualify automatically to super 12 right now Afghanistan have a real chance of doing this and Sri Lanka might miss out.

Is that right? 2018?

2015 ODI WC:

QFs: Syd, Melb, Adel + Wellington
SFs: Syd + Auckland
Final: Melb

Good to see we're really mixing it up.

Decisions like these don't get to be made just so you can "mix it up" for the sake of it.

Don't get me wrong would love to see Perth get the opportunity to host an event like a QF or semi of the T20 World Cup but there is a lot of lobbying, politics, legacy deals and economics involved that must stack up for CA to go elsewhere.

Back