• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KAMSTAR HFC

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Silvagni was a champion player, and although I dont know him personally, he seems like a pretty good bloke. BUT, is he any good as a recruiter, or to be accurate head of recruiting? Has learnt his craft with GWS, but was that a good thing? To early to tell if he is any good at what he does.

The move back to carlton smells like jobs for the boys.

Also, this bloke just quit.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-25/top-blues-recruiter-quits

Thoughts?

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Silvagni was a champion player, and although I dont know him personally, he seems like a pretty good bloke. BUT, is he any good as a recruiter, or to be accurate head of recruiting? Has learnt his craft with GWS, but was that a good thing? To early to tell if he is any good at what he does.

Thoughts?

His back where he belongs!
Mick & SOS will create a winning formula

Thoughts?

Yeah i will bite.

When he was at GWS he was a gun and the reason GWS have all the good kids they do currently. Now he moves back to Carlton the club he played for it is just a job for the boys. :rolleyes:

Our last recruiter was lambasted all over this place and if you read/believe BF you would think we have only got 1 draft pick right in 15 odd years now so surely SOS cannot do any worse.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would be hard to miss the good kids with the picks he had at his disposal. If he was in charge of recruiting the experienced blokes, then he made a couple of blunders. It's a pretty impressive rise off the back of what is a largely unknown recruiting performance. Can trust Triggy's judgement though, he's an incredibly talented operator.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
When he was at GWS he was a gun and the reason GWS have all the good kids they do currently.

2011 draft picks 1,2,3,4,5,7,9,10,11,13 14.
2012 draft picks 1,2,3,12,14
2013 draft picks 1,2,14
2014 draft picks 4,6,7
10 seventeen year old priority picks, 5 uncontracted players.

Hope to hell they'd have a good list.

Would he be at Carlton if he wasn't a former champion player at the club and mate of the president?
Time will tell; inspired choice or Hird 2.
Early signs of recruiters walking out not a good sign I would have thought.

KAMSTAR HFC

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah i will bite.

When he was at GWS he was a gun and the reason GWS have all the good kids they do currently. Now he moves back to Carlton the club he played for it is just a job for the boys. :rolleyes:

Our last recruiter was lambasted all over this place and if you read/believe BF you would think we have only got 1 draft pick right in 15 odd years now so surely SOS cannot do any worse.

Come on, he had like 20 first round draft picks in 3 drafts. Too early to tell if he is a gun....

Come on, he had like 20 first round draft picks in 3 drafts. Too early to tell if he is a gun....

To early to tell if he is not either but it didn't stop you making a negative thread looking for anyone to kick the boots in to him and Carlton in general.

What did our last recruiter do anyway? Every pick he has had he stuffed up if you read this place! Now he is replaced the criticisms fly from everywhere about the new appointment! lol

Yeah i will bite.

It's shooting fish in a barrel with that many first round picks

Unless you guys are tanking again, his job will be much harder without the deck stacked in his favour

KAMSTAR HFC

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To early to tell if he is not either but it didn't stop you making a negative thread looking for anyone to kick the boots in to him and Carlton in general.

What did our last recruiter do anyway? Every pick he has had he stuffed up if you read this place! Now he is replaced the criticisms fly from everywhere about the new appointment! lol

Wow

Wow, talk about sensitive.

I started the thread because we have seen clubs bring back club champions recently, overlooking credentials in favour of sentiment. Doesn't always turn out for the best. As a hawthorn fan, if Shane Crawford was appointed our list manager, must of us would be more than happy to have him back at the club. Overlooking whether or not he can actually do it.

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
List manager versus chief recruiter.

I thought most Carlton people were satisfied with the performance of Rogers. Obviously he felt that he was going to be undermined by Silvagni. Whether this is real or perceived, no one knows.

Jimmy Yamazaki

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
2011 draft picks 1,2,3,4,5,7,9,10,11,13 14.
2012 draft picks 1,2,3,12,14
2013 draft picks 1,2,14
2014 draft picks 4,6,7
10 seventeen year old priority picks, 5 uncontracted players.

Hope to hell they'd have a good list.

Would he be at Carlton if he wasn't a former champion player at the club and mate of the president?
Time will tell; inspired choice or Hird 2.
Early signs of recruiters walking out not a good sign I would have thought.

That's ridiculous and they have (had) Cola on top.

What a joke.

Oct 20, 2003
in da hood
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
not too sure they picked that brilliantly to be honest.

far superior players to o'rourke, plowman, buntine, and others were available when they did have top-end selections, not even mentioning the plethora in the teens.

what will happen is that they'll get picks now as well for those who leave like tyson, boyd, jaksch, and probably a couple more at the end of this year, bringing in more young talent into a squad that already has plenty.

Wooljay

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2009
Omicron Persei 8
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
His back where he belongs!
Mick & SOS will create a winning formula

ugoKd.gif

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
not convinced of his qualifications for the role, but he has at least spent plenty of time at other clubs to get some sort of rounded footy education.
early on his role did not seem defined other than him 'returning home' but he was never going to go back into the coaching box. this was coming from a mile away.

Shane Hird

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan The Cult of Robbo Essendon Player Sponsor 2016
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
NYJ
It begs the question...what sort of person makes an effective recruiter of Australian rules football players?

It's probably the most important role in the entire club but how do you sell yourself when applying for a job?

"Hi I'm Shane and I know talent when i see it "....

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Pretty happy.
Got a smart man in charge that knows football ins and outs.
The club recruiting needed an actual plan for long term and had not seen any great sign of a serious overall plan in place apart from correcting a bit of the age profile that was out of balance. But that is only one factor in many you need to keep on top of so it was a worry that seemed to be the one main focus previously mentioned at last drafting opportunity and trade period.
Least now we got someone that has got the job ahead of him and can pick and choose the people that suit the recruiting team we need. Unlike before, I now have confidence there will now be some overall strategy for long term and short term and not get them confused.

Back