Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
how does a short calf affect the hamstring?
causes it to attempt to stretch more. The hamstring is either behaving naturally and the consequence of shortened calves sabotages a natural movement, OR the hamstring is also shortened or misshapen (for want of better term) and so tears under the demands.

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
i'd be looking at the pelvis in regards to ham tears myself...although i train in barefeet but more for feet activation/strengthening then anything else...a slight heel won't get much calf either, they get the most stress higher up on the toes like heels as you posted...if you point your toes slightly right now you'll feel minimal calf contraction but point all the way and then you'll feel the calf

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
i'd be looking at the pelvis in regards to ham tears myself...although i train in barefeet but more for feet activation/strengthening then anything else...a slight heel won't get much calf either, they get the most stress higher up on the toes like heels as you posted...if you point your toes slightly right now you'll feel minimal calf contraction but point all the way and then you'll feel the calf
I just think that its well known high heels damage calf muscles. Google it, its well known. How the calf muscle relates to the hamstring when sprinting must be effected by the calf muscle. If the calf has been shortened, it will make a difference.

The reason there is little or no research into this, or studies studies are kept quiet, to this is the major shoe companies, nike, reebok etc, who all have tall heels, gel, etc, etc, etc, would suffer from the results.

Money like that is not going to let that happen, they are not going to research it. What happens to these companies if suddenly athletes are told barefoot or barefoot shoes are better for budding athletes, that $200 gel, space age reeboks?

The sport shoe industry is a billion dollar industry. There are huge sweat shops in Indonesia paying their workers $50 per week. 1 factory has perhaps 1000 people. what happens when athletes, parents, and everyone else finds out sandals prepare your legs better to become a sporting adult than nike $200, sweatshop shoes,?

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
This season Asics have implemented a '10mm heel gradient' in all their footy boots across the board this season. Which basically means they have built up the heels of all their footy boots, to protect the shortened calf muscles their own industry has created.

Adidas continue with a negative heel gradient I was told by a shoe saleswoman..

Running spikes, have no heel and are built up on the 'ball' of the foot, which actually allows the calf to stretch even more. This of course created more speed as the calf and hamstring are allowed more elastic stretching. I notice also sprinters have a lot of issues with hamstring and calf injury..

Stop wearing heels! Make sure your kids have a negative heel on all their shoes!!

* We don't bind out kids head to lengthen their skulls.

* We don't put rings around their necks to increase neck length.

* We don't bind their feet to make their feet smaller.

* We shouldn't add a heel to make their calf muscles shorter!

Personally I loved last years Asics footy boots. They fitted my child's broad foot well with a wide print and good stud configuration. Adidas were too narrow. He grew so quickly he wore 2 Asics sizes through the year. This year we went with the Adidas due to the heel gradient. While the Adidas aren't as wide, nor is the stud configuration as good, id prefer he wears them mostly as its better for his calf growth and health.

I did however buy some Asics (with 10mm heel gradient) that were half price with the good width and stud configuration (ultimate 9). They were a size bigger. My reasoning was that he can use them through the year when he grows into them, on wet days when the heel gradient will be negated through softer ground. However, we will stick to Adidas as a rule as long as they keep their negative heel gradient.

Further. When a ballet dancer jumps, he is taught to land on the ball of his foot. It is when the heel comes into contact first with the ground when jumping, issues with knee injuries occur. In sport, especially AFL, landing is never a straight forward thing. All sorts of variables can impact how you land. With a 10mm heel gradient added to Asics, they have created a boot that will see a % rise in heels hitting the ground before the front or flat of the foot in jumping situations, and leading to serious knee injury.

Id love to know the knee injury stats for the new 10mm heel gradient boot at the end of the season, as against boots with a negative heel gradient injury rate. I doubt any records will be kept, or if a computer model is made, we wont get the results..

Asic may well suit the Adult who has already had their calves shortened. However, if you a concerned about your childs footwear, and prefer no heels, Adidas are the boot id prefer of the two big brands.

Id like to see Adida widen their boot, and add a better stud configuration.

Last edited:
May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
This season Asics have implemented a '10mm heel gradient' in all their footy boots across the board this season. Which basically means they have built up the heels of all their footy boots, to protect the shortened calf muscles their own industry has created.

Adidas continue with a negative heel gradient I was told by a shoe saleswoman..

Running spikes, have no heel and are built up on the 'ball' of the foot, which actually allows the calf to stretch even more. This of course created more speed as the calf and hamstring are allowed more elastic stretching. I notice also sprinters have a lot of issues with hamstring and calf injury..

Stop wearing heels! Make sure your kids have a negative heel on all their shoes!!

* We don't bind out kids head to lengthen their skulls.

* We don't put rings around their necks to increase neck length.

* We don't bind their feet to make their feet smaller.

* We shouldn't add a heel to make their calf muscles shorter!

Personally I loved last years Asics footy boots. They fitted my child's broad foot well with a wide print and good stud configuration. Adidas were too narrow. He grew so quickly he wore 2 Asics sizes through the year. This year we went with the Adidas due to the heel gradient. While the Adidas aren't as wide, nor is the stud configuration as good, id prefer he wears them mostly as its better for his calf growth and health.

I did however buy some Asics (with 10mm heel gradient) that were half price with the good width and stud configuration (ultimate 9). They were a size bigger. My reasoning was that he can use them through the year when he grows into them, on wet days when the heel gradient will be negated through softer ground. However, we will stick to Adidas as a rule as long as they keep their negative heel gradient.

Further. When a ballet dancer jumps, he is taught to land on the ball of his foot. It is when the heel comes into contact first with the ground when jumping, issues with knee injuries occur. In sport, especially AFL, landing is never a straight forward thing. All sorts of variables can impact how you land. With a 10mm heel gradient added to Asics, they have created a boot that will see a % rise in heels hitting the ground before the front or flat of the foot in jumping situations, and leading to serious knee injury.

Id love to know the knee injury stats for the new 10mm heel gradient boot at the end of the season, as against boots with a negative heel gradient injury rate. I doubt any records will be kept, or if a computer model is made, we wont get the results..

Asic may well suit the Adult who has already had their calves shortened. However, if you a concerned about your childs footwear, and prefer no heels, Adidas are the boot id prefer of the two big brands.

Id like to see Adida widen their boot, and add a better stud configuration.

Is this the same for adult boots? Should be investing in a pair of adidas?

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Is this the same for adult boots? Should be investing in a pair of adidas?

Well I guess if a mature athlete already has shortened calf muscles, he probably is better off with the Asics if he has a history of hamstring injury. But in my opinion, they will increase the risk of knee injury.

If the athlete has no history of hamstring or calf injury, Adidas would be the better choice as the raised heel of the Asics will increase the risk of knee injury. It is much more preferable to do a hammy than a knee...

Kids however are better off wearing flat soled shoes as a habit, and wearing Adidas boots for footy.

All this is just my opinion based on a personal theory. But if you do some research, barefoot running forums say something similar.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
Well I guess if a mature athlete already has shortened calf muscles, he probably is better off with the Asics if he has a history of hamstring injury. But in my opinion, they will increase the risk of knee injury.

If the athlete has no history of hamstring or calf injury, Adidas would be the better choice as the raised heel of the Asics will increase the risk of knee injury. It is much more preferable to do a hammy than a knee...

Kids however are better off wearing flat soled shoes as a habit, and wearing Adidas boots for footy.

All this is just my opinion based on a personal theory. But if you do some research, barefoot running forums say something similar.

Fair enough. Thanks for the perspective

RIOLIUSTAR

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2009
Padded cell
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Can only dream of being this good
you can check pelvic alignment yourself, well with a partner at least...lye on your back and have your partner pull your legs from the feet towards them trying to stretch you out...nothing violent just a moderate pull then see how the soles of the feet line up...then do the same with your arms seeing how the thumbs line up...that should give you an idea and a possible starting point

ham flexibility might not be the problem but i've seen plenty of people of butcher a ham length test but yours does sound at least part neural anyway leading to thoughts of possible sciatica related issues

catsfan is in melbs i think so maybe pop in for a visit

Not sure about that but you're the boss here so I won't/ can't be bothered educating you.

Jul 2, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Your flippant description of leg length assessment/pelvic function in regards to chronic hamstring injury.

What you described is blatantly flawed.

FWIW I overcame the Hamstring issues simply through remedial massage.

Found that my glutes were very weak and tight which was impacting on my hammy. Plenty of massage, needles, stretching etc. through glutes, piriformis, hamstrings, adductor, quads. Haven't had an issue with my hammy since!

RIOLIUSTAR

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2009
Padded cell
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Can only dream of being this good
FWIW I overcame the Hamstring issues simply through remedial massage.

Found that my glutes were very weak and tight which was impacting on my hammy. Plenty of massage, needles, stretching etc. through glutes, piriformis, hamstrings, adductor, quads. Haven't had an issue with my hammy since!
That's great mate hope you have a solid season

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
I know of one fella that has sore knees from using the Asics 10mm heel gradient boots. He has never had knee problems before. I suggested he take them back and get some Adidas which have a negative heel gradient.

If others here encounter unusual knee stress, or injury from the new Asics 10mm, drop a post here.

I amazed Asics would think that by putting a 1cm extra high heel on a footy boot, wouldn't put more stress on the knee. Even in their advertising, they admit that the boots promote forward pressure of the leg. Here.... ".. The Lethal Testimonial 4 IT incorporates HG10mm technology that raises the heel by 10mm, thus shifting the body forward to reduce strain on the lower limb..."

The dummies are actually stressing the knee. ha!

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Here. There is scientific analysis at the end.

Also, I notice Joel Sellwood runs toe first, not heel / toe. My guess is he has never had a lot of leg problems?

The big shoe companies are ripping you off and injuring you. Think..

Minimalist shoe for footy? It may encourage you to run TOE/HEEL? May be worth a try during pre season.

http://www.wildfiresports.com.au/inov-8-bare-grip-200-lime-black-shoes-p

Last edited:

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
there's minimal heel in a footy boot...you can wear shoes with heels but do what work you need to do on your feet as we'll never do what they do and we simply can't

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
there's minimal heel in a footy boot...you can wear shoes with heels but do what work you need to do on your feet as we'll never do what they do and we simply can't

Absolute disgrace. Look at that heel. Wow! That is a boot (all Asics are now the same) that will ruin knees and hamstrings.
p508l_0189_0010236875_f_i_altfull1.jpg

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Absolute disgrace. Look at that heel. Wow! That is a boot (all Asics are now the same) that will ruin knees and hamstrings.
p508l_0189_0010236875_f_i_altfull1.jpg
That's 1 type of boot mate, mine is even from heel to toe

Jeez you take these things personally don't ya?

Ruin your hams and knees? A blanket statement if I've ever heard one...stop lumping the entire worlds population into 1 group with your singular solution that no one can deter from

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
That's 1 type of boot mate, mine is even from heel to toe

Jeez you take these things personally don't ya?

Ruin your hams and knees? A blanket statement if I've ever heard one...stop lumping the entire worlds population into 1 group with your singular solution that no one can deter from
Mate, if you have nothing to add of any significance, why clog up the thread?

Back