Analysis Open Training Discussion 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Salem looked good last year with a very limited pre season. I think we have a very good player on our hands here. The silky skills we need off half back.
Seems pretty mature too.

Hey guys I'm overseas at the moment and appreciating my footy fix on here. Just wondering how JKH and Nev went with the all stars?
Nobody really knows because the AFL hasn't told us much and there was no coverage on the match. all i can tell you is that Jetta kicked a goal. The article featured on the AFL's website which is the only thing i have to go by to see how we did, pretty much just rants about the Hawthorn players playing for the all stars. Essentially it's all about Bradley Hill and that the Eagles came from behind to win

Someone on another site mentioned that Jetta was amongst the bests, and JKH played mostly on the ball.

Apparently the indigenous side didn't have any genuine rucks, so they had to play to the Eagles tap work. JKH mentioned it was a great learning experience.

That's all I know. They really should televise it, if they are going to have an indigenous all stars match.

Someone on another site mentioned that Jetta was amongst the bests, and JKH played mostly on the ball.

Apparently the indigenous side didn't have any genuine rucks, so they had to play to the Eagles tap work. JKH mentioned it was a great learning experience.

That's all I know. They really should televise it, if they are going to have an indigenous all stars match.

I found the complete lack of coverage telling. "We really care so much about indigenous players in the game. Look we have an all stars match. What, you mean we have to cover it too?!! Oh jeez. Come on, give us a break."

Don't have a problem with them not televising it, no different in my world of free to air TV. But i would like a better analysis of the match put up on the website, the article i mentioned before was pretty much all about Hawthorn stars. You would think the AFL would at least do a stream or film it to some capacity, even with a crappy camera and a nobody commentator like some clubs have done for preseason matches and such.

It was nearly a sellout crowd of around 15k I heard.

They should play the game in the NT as well I reckon. Plenty of indigenous folk up there who don't get many AFL games to watch live.

I just presumed that the match was in the NT. I swear all the other indigenous all-star games have been up there. Was only on Friday that I realised that it was in WA. Really doesn't make that much sense

I just presumed that the match was in the NT. I swear all the other indigenous all-star games have been up there. Was only on Friday that I realised that it was in WA. Really doesn't make that much sense

There is a decent indigenous population in Perth I guess. And the Eagles wouldnt have wanted to go play interstate in 38 degrees.

Still, I agree with you - the NT is a market the AFL should be giving something back to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at the injury list on the AFL page:

Jeremy Howe - Hamstring - 3-4 weeks
Alex Neal-Bullen - Knee - 4-6 weeks
Christian Petracca - Knee - Season
Jack Trengove - Foot - Indefinite
Bernie Vince - Hamstring - 3-4 weeks

I didn't know about Bernie and Howe

Yeah, both quite surprising, unless they only just came up from training this week?

Howe did his hammy ages ago and the club said then he most likely wouldn't play any part in the NAB challenge..

Was the last day up at the Qld training camp. Should be close to go you would think.

Bernie has had hamstring issues, first before Xmas, then re-injured recently.

Apparently.

Anyone at training this morning? Any reports?

I went along again.

As per last time, I didn't arrive for the start and I didnt take detailed notes of each and every drill etc. so I apologise for the very brief synopsis.

When I arrived they were already underway with the usual drills which mostly involved a defensive, tackling aspect putting pressure on the hand carriers - sticking tackles is something we are clearly working on and looked very good at.

I wasn't as impressed with he match simulation as I was last time, but the guys were still very competitive and intense. Nathan Jones gave a couple of almighty sprays to Garland an Dunn for minor errors that lead to turnovers in the defensive 50. Dunn gave Gawn a hit to the stomach behind play which he would have got 2 weeks for in a real game - Gawn was very disciplined Moto retaliate, frankly.

N Jones and Tyson were typically dominant, But Christian Salem was the one who impressed me the most - and by some way. Got heaps of footy, showed courage and won plenty of contested footy - but his disposal was elite. He is damaging with the football from half back an will get tagged soon I think.

Mitch White was quite involved for his first hit out which was good, and Gawn looked ok at full forward despite letting a couple of grabs spill.

Billy Stretch was the best of the draftees. Is not just a pure receiver - he went to the inside a lot and got plenty of footy. Brayshaw also saw a bit of it. I'm very happy with our draft crop so far - O Mac presented very well and looks very likely to be a player in a few years in my opinion.

Not many negatives really, so sorry if this is a bit of a one sided review. Any questions, fire away..

The dreaded 3-4 weeks. Pretty sure that means see you next year or I'm off to the cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back