katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
any other bros out there collecting records?

it's pretty big in my circles, we've had some bomb parties with a couple of technics, mixer, effects and a few crates of vinyl.

my most recent purchse is luomo's vocalcity - stunning house if you're into that:

am planning to expand my post-punk collection - so stuff like can's future days and hex enduction hour are in the pipes

what's in your crates?
what great bargains have you found?
do u believe in buying vinyl from the 'mp3 era'? or do u just buy 'the classics'?
do u dj? r u good?
what are your decks?

Last edited:

katana

Club Legend
Jul 12, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
i'm pretty into compilations. i've something called 'super breaks: essential funk, soul and jazz, samples and breakbeats volume 1.

it's an absolute beaut.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I have about 300 albums. I started buying in the late 70s when I first started getting pocket money. I also got a few that my dad handed over when he went totally digital. So a very eclectic mix of country, jazz, easy listening (Yikes !), punk, rock.......

We have 3 of those record holders and tend to only use the records for ever changing wall art, although I still have a working record player.

IAMDASH

All Australian
Mar 7, 2001
Melbourne
Yep,

Recently add St Peppers, Electric Ladyland and Bon Scott era ACDC to my collection.

But the best purchases were the Powdermonkeys reissues from last year.

I now go Vinyl first when available and usually get the free MP3 download with it

thurmanmunson

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Apr 25, 2010
Brooklyn
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Was a massive vinyl addict for about 20 years but sold my collection over ebay and to collectors about 5 years ago. Had a decent collection of 12"s and 7"s, but I was pretty small compared to the big boys in the collector game (mostly punk/hc/noise/etc)

Getting junkies' rare records for cheap was awesome.

thurmanmunson

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Apr 25, 2010
Brooklyn
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Yankees
Yep,

Recently add St Peppers, Electric Ladyland and Bon Scott era ACDC to my collection.

But the best purchases were the Powdermonkeys reissues from last year.

I now go Vinyl first when available and usually get the free MP3 download with it

SMASHED ON A KNEE

They don't make 'em like them anymore.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Probably stopped buying vinyl circa 2003. Reason was twofold - cost of postage from overseas and the fact most pressings were using masters for the cd release (i.e. sound was terrible). Been cd ever since and doesn't look like changing. Probably have around 750 lps (around 3,000 cds).

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Gotta pretty poor collection except for a couple of local acts most would dismiss, and also got possibly the full The Birthday Party collection for a good price from someone moving overseas.

Jun 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
what's in your crates?
Stuff like Radiohead, Joy Division, New Order, Xiu Xiu plus a whole bunch of stuff from my mum which is mostly 70s and 80s disco and pop Like Micheal Jackson/ The Jacksons, George Benson, Earth Wind and Fire, Huey Lewis, Toto, Foreigner, Go West etc.

what great bargains have you found?
Unknown sessions by Duke Ellington, for $1 at a market. Also found a Blue Monday single at the salvos.

do u believe in buying vinyl from the 'mp3 era'? or do u just buy 'the classics'?
I buy both, sometimes getting an original pressing is too expensive so I just buy the re-issue (hello Unknown Pleasures).

do u dj? r u good?
Never tried being a DJ, from what I gather singles are the way to go and I don't have many at all.

what are your decks?
Technics SL-DD33. Not a bad deck but pretty entry level. When I'm rich I will buy a nice new one, maybe a top end Project one.

I have loads of vinyl. A fair proportion are not available in other formats, but I replace them with CDs when I can. I understand the retro revival with vinyl, and I think there is some truth to the general consensus that analog equipment and ambient recording environments created a warmer tone, but let's face it, records buckle and warp, get scratched, you have to turn them over after 20 minutes, different types of stylus (and record players) can be hard to find etc. To me the value of vinyl lies largely in the cover art. I used to have 'Thick As A Brick' (Jethro Tull), original UK pressing- the cover folded out like a newspaper! On balance, and allowing for the fact that retro revivals fade, CDs (and the benefits of digital technology) represent better listening clarity, to my mind. On the other hand, if it wasn't for vinyl and the ability to play a record backwards I would never have known that Paul McCartney was dead, Doris Day was actually the devil, and Rick Wakeman records sound the same either way.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Been buying the Led Zeppelin boxes for their collectability. Am playing the 24/192 flac downloads that come with them; the vinyl will remain pristine! Similar for the new Cold Chisel box.

Zeppelin_zps7rvzf1k8.jpg

Had a very respectable collection of AC/DC bootlegs back in the day but sold them in the mid-90's. An article in Record Collector a few years ago valued some at up to $500 each!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2007
Willy back beach
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC Williamstown FC
I've been collecting vinyl for 25 years. I have a lot of vinyl, I have sold of a lot of stuff though. I started by collecting original, complete Kiss albums, then the US pressings, then it became an obsession. I moved onto Led Zeppelin and Hendrix stuff, US, Japanese, UK pressings. I got into Vinyl bootlegs, Acetates, test pressings, mispressings etc.

Back when I started there was no internet so it was all the Trading Post for those who remember that, Goldmine Magazine and Record Collector. We had a few good stores in Melbourne, Au Go Go was a good one and the original Collectors Corner and there were a number in the suburbs. There still are a few in the suburbs but it's not like it was. I'd also check pawn shops, I had a few big scores way back when.

I'm not an audiophile but I do only play FLAC files. I recently got a 500gig HD with every Hendrix bootleg available and some stuff that isn't out there :)

I don't buy like I used to anymore but I still always check auctions and will snag something if I can get a bargain. It's a fun hobby.

Oct 2, 2007
Willy back beach
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Been buying the Led Zeppelin boxes for their collectability. Am playing the 24/192 flac downloads that come with them; the vinyl will remain pristine! Similar for the new Cold Chisel box.

Zeppelin_zps7rvzf1k8.jpg

Had a very respectable collection of AC/DC bootlegs back in the day but sold them in the mid-90's. An article in Record Collector a few years ago valued some at up to $500 each!
I'm really happy with the boxes, I do think Page could have put some other stuff for the bonus material though. There's quite a bit more out there.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm really happy with the boxes, I do think Page could have put some other stuff for the bonus material though. There's quite a bit more out there.

Yeah. Production is great and the live show included with I was excellent, but generally speaking, fans agree that the bonus material is a bit lacking. Hopefully they've saved something a bit special to accompany the remaining three sets, given the original albums don't have the same standing as the first six.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Back when I started there was no internet so it was all the Trading Post for those who remember that, Goldmine Magazine and Record Collector. We had a few good stores in Melbourne, Au Go Go was a good one and the original Collectors Corner and there were a number in the suburbs. There still are a few in the suburbs but it's not like it was. I'd also check pawn shops, I had a few big scores way back when.
Used to get my AC/DC bootlegs from Central Station Records. There was a heavy metal store where the old Gas & Fuel building was, and a mainstream pop version of the store in the city square. The city square store closed and the heavy metal store moved to Banana Alley and became Metal For Melbourne, I think. There were a couple of other sneaky places around the CBD, in arcades etc, for sourcing rare stuff. I remember paying $90 for the Let There Be Rock concert film on VHS - an exorbitant amount for a high school student in the 80's. It got a mainstream release on DVD a few years ago.
I'm not an audiophile but I do only play FLAC files. I recently got a 500gig HD with every Hendrix bootleg available and some stuff that isn't out there :)
From Crosstown Torrents? "Lord Summerisle", by any chance? Despite being a big fan I've resisted collecting Hendrix seriously - there's so, so much out there it'd send me broke! I do have almost a full collection of UniVibes though, and bought the giant limited edition photo book from Snap Galleries. Kinda regret spending that amount of money on a book, but I can console myself with the fact that not many people have one.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2007
Willy back beach
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Used to get my AC/DC bootlegs from Central Station Records. There was a heavy metal store where the old Gas & Fuel building was, and a mainstream pop version of the store in the city square. The city square store closed and the heavy metal store moved to Banana Alley and became Metal For Melbourne, I think. There were a couple of other sneaky places around the CBD, in arcades etc, for sourcing rare stuff. I remember paying $90 for the Let There Be Rock concert film on VHS - an exorbitant amount for a high school student in the 80's. It got a mainstream release on DVD a few years ago.

From Crosstown Torrents? "Lord Summerisle", by any chance? Despite being a big fan I've resisted collecting Hendrix seriously - there's so, so much out there it'd send me broke! I do have almost a full collection of UniVibes though, and bought the giant limited edition photo book from Snap Galleries. Kinda regret spending that amount of money on a book, but I can console myself with the fact that not many people have one.

Haha yes I'm lord Summerisle. I got the drive from a guy in Liverpool when I was over there. He is the main guy sharing it on Crosstown Torrents. The amount of work that's been put into it is extraordinary. A lot of people worked on it.

I remember the metal store where the Gas and Fuel buildings where well. Metal for Melbourne was good in its day although it's collectible stuff was few and far between.

If you're interested in the drive pm me.

lenny_07

Senior List
Aug 20, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I recently came across an Instagram vinyl challenge where each day you had to play a record based off a particular suggestion for the day. It is a fantastic way to explore your collection and play stuff you might have forgotten about. It was the August Vinyl Challenge and I see someone has made a similar one for September.
I thought maybe the Bigfooty music community could make our own Bigfooty October Vinyl Challenge and post our photos in here.
We could spend the rest of September coming up with a list of daily challenges and have them sorted out ready to go October 1.
Perhaps the 3rd could be "sports related' due to the Grand Final.

Anyway, I'm going to try and post the photos of the 2 Instagram challenges for inspiration.
augustvinylchallenge.jpg
septembervinylchallenge.jpg

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings

Yeah. Production is great and the live show included with I was excellent, but generally speaking, fans agree that the bonus material is a bit lacking. Hopefully they've saved something a bit special to accompany the remaining three sets, given the original albums don't have the same standing as the first six.

You'd assume they'd turn out a super-ultra deluxe edition of 'Coda'.