Anthony Davis

Remove this Banner Ad

**** trading for him, that will cost far too much. We will just wait until he is a FA and then sign him. :)

See you in 2021 then :p

You do realise that nearly 46% of his FGA this season have come from outside of 10 feet, right?

Yes... I do tend to watch a lot of Pels games o_O

He shoots a lot of elbow jumpers, which is kinda my point - we can't throw it to him in the low post and have him take over the game, yet.

Pick and pop, pick and roll, points in transition and offensive putbacks - that's how he scores.

Yes... I do tend to watch a lot of Pels games o_O

He shoots a lot of elbow jumpers, which is kinda my point - we can't throw it to him in the low post and have him take over the game, yet.

Pick and pop, pick and roll, points in transition and offensive putbacks - that's how he scores.

Well what I'm saying is, a big man scoring efficiently and hitting jumpers at the rate he is, takes a bit more skill and ability than being just an "opportunist". That term makes me think of the Tyson Chander/DeAndre Jordan type of big, and Davis is obviously much more than that on offense.

Well what I'm saying is, a big man scoring efficiently and hitting jumpers at the rate he is, takes a bit more skill and ability than being just an "opportunist". That term makes me think of the Tyson Chander/DeAndre Jordan type of big, and Davis is obviously much more than that on offense.

I think you misunderstand what I mean by "closer to opportunistic than dominant".

He scores efficiently - super efficiently in fact - within the confines of our offence. However he still sees very few double teams, in part because his low-post game hasn't developed yet, and perhaps in part because Monty Williams doesn't use him that way.

He's like a cross between Chandler/Jordan and Ibaka in our offence for the most part. I do wish we'd clear out one side of the floor occasionally to let him use his handles to get to the rim, but perhaps that's for a different coach to utilize. The bulk of his self-created points still come off offensive rebounds.

He's not like Shaq, Olajuwon or even LaMarcus Aldridge in that you can predicate an entire offence around giving the other team a choice of picking their poison. Yet.

SOS is right in that his post game would be nothing more than simply good, yet at 6'11 he's averaging 24ppg still; insane efficiency in the open floor and on hustle plays.

Remember, Davis grew up a shortish guard then exploded in height.

I'm guessing playing back to the bucket post isn't really in his DNA.

He has just been able to out athleticism all his opponents for all of his life.

He's going to have to learn playing post from scratch and that's not an easy task, just ask Dwight.

Plus he doesn't have the frame to toil away underneath the basket for 82 games a season, he'd fall apart.

Asik was supposed to be the banger but his offence leaves a lot to be desired.

He's really a stretch 4 by nature. A rich man's LMA.

Remember, Davis grew up a shortish guard then exploded in height.

I'm guessing playing back to the bucket post isn't really in his DNA.

He was 6'4" by the time he started Year 10, and 6'8" by the time his Year 11 basketball season started. He'd be pretty used to playing like a big for a while. Still, he's a few days away from turning 22. He doesn't have to be the finished product just yet.

SOS is right in that his post game would be nothing more than simply good, yet at 6'11 he's averaging 24ppg still; insane efficiency in the open floor and on hustle plays.
I remember reading an article earlier in the year talking about how Davis and his shooting coach have been working on his shot, and especially a Duncan-like bank shot from the post. If he can master that...

I dont really understand contracts. So that didnt make much sense to me.

His rookie deal runs through 2016.

However at the end of this season he'll be able to sign a five year extension running 2016-2021. The chances of him not signing that extension are close to zero - hence an unrestricted free agent in 2021.

The NBA changed the rules (late 90s from memory) to prevent young draft talent fleeing small market teams for big ones, giving draftees every incentive to sign their first big contract with the team that drafted them.

It is an essential, fundamental principle in the modern NBA, because without the draft small market teams would be dead in the water.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His rookie deal runs through 2016.

However at the end of this season he'll be able to sign a five year extension running 2016-2021. The chances of him not signing that extension are close to zero - hence an unrestricted free agent in 2021.

The NBA changed the rules (late 90s from memory) to prevent young draft talent fleeing small market teams for big ones, giving draftees every incentive to sign their first big contract with the team that drafted them.

It is an essential, fundamental principle in the modern NBA, because without the draft small market teams would be dead in the water.
Why is it close to zero that he doesnt leave. Is it because NOH can offer him more money than if he left. Is that how it keeps young talent at teams that drafted him? Is that how it works.

Can he sign an extension but not for 5 years. Plenty of guys sign different length contracts right? Or is five year the absolute must for an extension coming off a rookie contract?

Why is it close to zero that he doesnt leave. Is it because NOH can offer him more money than if he left. Is that how it keeps young talent at teams that drafted him? Is that how it works.

Can he sign an extension but not for 5 years. Plenty of guys sign different length contracts right? Or is five year the absolute must for an extension coming off a rookie contract?

It's close to zero because

a) he'd be a restricted free agent in 2016 - we can match all offers to him (eg Utah and Hayward). He'd have to go the Monroe route (play Russian roulette by signing a one year qualifying offer) to become an unrestricted free agent in 2017

b) New Orleans can offer him the most money

c) only New Orleans can offer him a five year deal.

Under the new CBA, teams can offer one restricted free agent (on their own roster) a five year deal - all other restricted free agents or unrestricted free agents from other teams can only sign a four year deal.

Sometimes teams have to choose - eg Minnesota infamously chose to give Rubio a five year deal instead of Love - but that's not going to be a problem for the Pels.

The best recent example to use is Kyrie with the Cavs - I think the five year deal he signed with them was for between $90-100 million, whereas the best he could have hoped for from another team was four years, $65 million - it's a big difference.

To become an unrestricted free agent before 2021, AD would have to sacrifice $30 million by not signing an extension, then ignore all contract offers as a restricted free agent in 2016 to sign a one-year qualifying offer (making him an unrestricted free agent in 2017) a la Greg Monroe - which carries the significant additional risk of being seriously injured without the insurance of a long term contract.

To make it to Chicago by 2017, he'd have to sacrifice a lot of money and risk his future - it won't happen, which is why the system is designed the way it is.

It's close to zero because

a) he'd be a restricted free agent in 2016 - we can match all offers to him (eg Utah and Hayward). He'd have to go the Monroe route (play Russian roulette by signing a one year qualifying offer) to become an unrestricted free agent in 2017

b) New Orleans can offer him the most money

c) only New Orleans can offer him a five year deal.

Under the new CBA, teams can offer one restricted free agent (on their own roster) a five year deal - all other restricted free agents or unrestricted free agents from other teams can only sign a four year deal.

Sometimes teams have to choose - eg Minnesota infamously chose to give Rubio a five year deal instead of Love - but that's not going to be a problem for the Pels.

The best recent example to use is Kyrie with the Cavs - I think the five year deal he signed with them was for between $90-100 million, whereas the best he could have hoped for from another team was four years, $65 million - it's a big difference.

To become an unrestricted free agent before 2021, AD would have to sacrifice $30 million by not signing an extension, then ignore all contract offers as a restricted free agent in 2016 to sign a one-year qualifying offer (making him an unrestricted free agent in 2017) a la Greg Monroe - which carries the significant additional risk of being seriously injured without the insurance of a long term contract.

To make it to Chicago by 2017, he'd have to sacrifice a lot of money and risk his future - it won't happen, which is why the system is designed the way it is.
Thanks mate. Very informative. Very good system too to keep the young players you draft in the place they started.

No way is AD gonna walk away from that money, nobody would. Just in case a Rose or Hill or Penny situation happens. At least you have that 5 year 100 million deal. Security. Sets you up for the rest of your life.

Then if it doesnt happen in New Orleans he would only be what 27 or so and entering his real prime when he becomes a FA and can choose where he wants to go and maximise his chances to win a ring.

Obviously you wont trade him as he is pretty much going to be the best player in world in about two or years.

Also Ive never heard of him saying he wants to go home or anything like that. I only mess around cos I know he is from Chicago. I have no idea if he even wants to play for the Bulls.

From now on ive decided to call Beast Mode, Davis Mode. So if someone is having a huge game they are in Davis Mode.

36 points
14 rebounds
7 assists
9 blocks

Things dont compute with this guy. If he gets help in NO, they could possibly win a title off of his back. They need Jrue back but even then still need help.

He was yeah, but I dont know if you know this... but basketball is a team sport.
Exactly, 3 of Westbrooks triple doubles no longer count either due to the team not winning those games

Not even gonna make playoffs
Cares more about padding his own statistics than the team winning
asianfacepalm.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back