Edgewater

Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory
This recent fiasco involving Hunter (and a couple of people bringing up the pokies at Edgewater in relation to it) has me thinking about a possibility. I don't understand the intricacies of social clubs and their deals with gambling organisations, so this is an open question.

Suppose the Edgewater club, as well as poker machines, also offers a TAB or similar in-person service for sports/racing betting. Do the operators of the club (i.e. the Bulldogs) receive profit from the transactions made at these outlets, as they do with pokies (apparently), or does it all go to the main Betting company?

If it's the former, I could picture a potential conflict of interest: a large number of people (who will presumably be mostly Doggies fans, given the location and purpose of the venue) place money on the Bulldogs to win/beat the line/lead at the first break/etc. at this outlet, and someone in the Operations Department works out that losing/winning under the line/not getting into gear until the second/etc. would lead to a profit for the club from the losing stakes.

I don't know if other teams' social clubs have betting outlets, so there may be some rule against it or the clubs just don't get a share in the revenue. I do remember a brief period around 2008-10 when each AFL team seemed to have its own betting agency (like doggiesbet.com.au), which might have also had the same risks associated with it.
Yeah, I think it is just too long a bow to draw. But I do get the concern.

littlenails

All Australian
Mar 7, 2002
Procyon, Canis Major
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Stoke City
30 May 2015
upload_2015-5-31_20-39-36.png

The unfortunate thing is that I think they thought theyhad invested in a prime piece of real estate for a function and events venue because of the fabulous views. However the fabulous views have been limited (of not gone altogether) by the monstrous apartment blocks that have been built blocking those views.

Doggy Dan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The unfortunate thing is that I think they thought theyhad invested in a prime piece of real estate for a function and events venue because of the fabulous views. However the fabulous views have been limited (of not gone altogether) by the monstrous apartment blocks that have been built blocking those views.

The plans / permits for those apartments were around since Edgewater was developed. The Dogs definitely would have known the view would be hindered. If the Dogs want a premium spot for functions with a nice view, they should rent out the Lakehouse Restaurant at the bottom of Edgewater Blvd (vacant). Should have done it 3 years ago and set up a function centre. Club could definitely get some synergy in running both sites.

Would think there would be a fair few business travellers at Highpoint and nearby retail precinct, and should fill during Cup week and maybe racedays at Flemington
Unfortunately he won't get that reply mate :(

The plans / permits for those apartments were around since Edgewater was developed. The Dogs definitely would have known the view would be hindered. If the Dogs want a premium spot for functions with a nice view, they should rent out the Lakehouse Restaurant at the bottom of Edgewater Blvd (vacant). Should have done it 3 years ago and set up a function centre. Club could definitely get some synergy in running both sites.

Probably have better views at the WO (except for that monstrosity they built in Footscray which houses State Trustees offices).

Doggy Dan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Probably have better views at the WO (except for that monstrosity they built in Footscray which houses State Trustees offices).

Yep went to many functions at WO. Would have my wedding there if they still operated that upstairs section. Love that view of the ground.

Yeh that State Trustees thing is a monster. Makes me feel like eating jelly beans every time I go past as well.

There are many Bulldogs supporters from the country and out of state that would probably stay at the venue over other accomodation. I know I would if the money goes to the club.
Agreed. If the price is reasonable I'd be more than happy to stay there on the times we go down to watch the Doggies night games, like this weekends for example.

I'll need a swag this weekend though. Will be mighty fresh with no walls.

If the Dogs want a premium spot for functions with a nice view, they should rent out the Lakehouse Restaurant at the bottom of Edgewater Blvd (vacant). Should have done it 3 years ago and set up a function centre. Club could definitely get some synergy in running both sites.

I don't think the Lakehouse has very good views at all. It is too low down.

Also, there have now been 2 businesses there and both have gone bust.

As for the project itself, I drove past last week and there is still a lot of work to be done. It is certainly a slow process.

Back