Heritage Bank Stadium (Carrara)

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To be fair, I don't think any of the above will come into fruition. Those appear to be completely quick mock ups with no design to them, to show an idea that they will change something. For example, that replay screen is a mess of a spot and the titchy little extension that you suggest would bring the permanent capacity to 27,000 are just jammed there with no real order. There doesn't seem to be any actual design in them yet, but i suppose we'll have to wait until they release the plans in a couple of years.

I doubt the suns will have any problems playing there in 2017 though (unless they demolish so much that capacity is two men and a dog), it's more than easy to demolish a stand and still play until they place the athletics track in. MCG didn't lose any time; KP, bellerive, SCG
Best I can do at this stage:

p0FBz0v.png

You can see those plans show two screens opposite each other and extra seating being installed between the light post and the corporate area. The large temporary grand stand is of course between the two northern light posts. This render also show the screen being moved to the east to make way for the grand stand:

p9xP7bv.jpg

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Massive shame as I was sort of expecting them to just add an extra stand to the end of the stadium so the entire stadium looked the same. That would add a lot of seats and it would also be something that the Gold Coast Suns could keep.
The Gold Coast Suns are very much against a permanent upgrade to their capacity. They feel 27,000 is the ideal capacity for them.

magic_johnson!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
London
AFL Club
Geelong
What i was trying to say is that they're not 'plans' yet, simply illustrations that aren't architectural but theoretical, if that makes sense. Just to show that metricon would host the games more than anything. They have probably barely started designing it yet, or even have a specific brief.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
stQLSOc.jpg

Free public transport all over the Gold Coast four hours before and after a SUNS game with a ticket. Could be a game changer given it has just become a lot easier to go out after a game.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The shuttle bus from Metricon to Cavill Avenue (Surfers Paradise) has been cancelled for 2015 but it's not an issue as the post game shuttle to Broadbeach South Tram Station will drop patrons at the tram stop and then it's free to hop on board the tram (with your AFL ticket) which will take passengers to Cavill Avenue. At worst, the trams run every 15 mins and it takes 10 mins at most to travel from Broadbeach South to Cavill Avenue.

So glad the trams are in place.

Means I can just tram then bus it from my place when the Lions play here ;)

(now to get that tram connected to Helensvale station...)

I know there is a shuttle bus to Surfers after the game but not sure if there is one from Surfers before?

Should be a shuttle from Australia Fair or/and Surfers as well, would be a lot quicker than tramming it to Broadbeach South then catching another shuttle bus

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know there is a shuttle bus to Surfers after the game but not sure if there is one from Surfers before?
I don't think so.

Should be a shuttle from Australia Fair or/and Surfers as well, would be a lot quicker than tramming it to Broadbeach South then catching another shuttle bus
That will come in time. Once the Southport CBD becomes more prevalent, I think you'll see a shuttle to and from Australia Fair.

I don't think so.

That will come in time. Once the Southport CBD becomes more prevalent, I think you'll see a shuttle to and from Australia Fair.
Apparently there isn't

Ended up taking two separate buses there, didn't know the ressies game got moved until afterwards so I arrived early for no reason.

There should be shuttles (before and after the game) to and from Surfers, Aus Fair and Griffith GC Campus. Bit of a joke that a Southport resident has to travel all the way to Broadbeach then catch another bus when a direct bus would only take 10 minutes instead of 45.

Can't imagine how frustrated I would be if I was a Suns fan living in Southport.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Apparently there isn't

Ended up taking two separate buses there, didn't know the ressies game got moved until afterwards so I arrived early for no reason.

There should be shuttles (before and after the game) to and from Surfers, Aus Fair and Griffith GC Campus. Bit of a joke that a Southport resident has to travel all the way to Broadbeach then catch another bus when a direct bus would only take 10 minutes instead of 45.

Can't imagine how frustrated I would be if I was a Suns fan living in Southport.
I guess all you can really do is use the free public transport 4 hours before the game to go to Broadbeach South tram station. Once you are at Broadbeach South, you can take the free shuttle to Metricon. Taking the tram from Southport to Broadbeach South is the best option in my mind. With a pre-purchased ticket you can use public transport for free 4 hours before the game (and after the game). I'm sure in the future there will be a direct bus shuttle route from Southport.

I guess all you can really do is use the free public transport 4 hours before the game to go to Broadbeach South tram station. Once you are at Broadbeach South, you can take the free shuttle to Metricon. Taking the tram from Southport to Broadbeach South is the best option in my mind. With a pre-purchased ticket you can use public transport for free 4 hours before the game (and after the game). I'm sure in the future there will be a direct bus shuttle route from Southport.
That's what I did when I got free tickets to GC v St Kilda.

It would be annoying to do it on a fortnightly basis when a direct bus from Aus fair would take 10-15 minutes when the tram ride alone takes 22 (iirc) minutes.

I probably will go to a few more Suns home games as a supporter of footy and expansion but the public transport system is costing the Suns crowds. It wouldn't be too hard to have a direct bus to Surfers, Aus Fair and Griffith

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It would be annoying to do it on a fortnightly basis when a direct bus from Aus fair would take 10-15 minutes when the tram ride alone takes 22 (iirc) minutes.

I probably will go to a few more Suns home games as a supporter of footy and expansion but the public transport system is costing the Suns crowds. It wouldn't be too hard to have a direct bus to Surfers, Aus Fair and Griffith
I hear you. It's something that I'm sure will be addressed in the future.

tigerninja

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Tram?

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

There are plans to establish rapid bus networks along the routes of Southport-Nerang, Surfers Paradise-Nerang and Broadbeach-Nerang. Those routes will eventually be replaced with light rail extension but that is a long way down the track. This is a bit tricky because each of these routes provide their own challenges. The biggest problem is extending those roads to three lanes, especially considering there are bridges involved. Resumption of land could be difficult as well but it's better they sort this out now than in 10-15 years when the population reaches 1 million people.

Y9i4wd5.jpg

tigerninja

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
There are plans to establish rapid bus networks along the routes of Southport-Nerang, Surfers Paradise-Nerang and Broadbeach-Nerang. Those routes will eventually be replaced with light rail extension but that is a long way down the track. This is a bit tricky because each of these routes provide their own challenges. The biggest problem is extending those roads to three lanes, especially considering there are bridges involved. Resumption of land could be difficult as well but it's better they sort this out now than in 10-15 years when the population reaches 1 million people.

Y9i4wd5.jpg

shheezuz. 10 years since i lived there. when did this happen?

Back