Billy Longer vs Brodie Grundy

Billy Longer vs Brodie Grundy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep your right there is only two of you that believe Jones is better but thats ok.
Since the start of 2013, Jones has kicked 74 goals in 46 games across both levels. Stanley has kicked 33 goals in 43 games.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Since the start of 2013, Jones has kicked 74 goals in 46 games across both levels. Stanley has kicked 33 goals in 43 games.

Thats fantastic lets see who gets delisted first and it wont be Stanley.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Longer 51 hit outs and 18 possessions today the blokes a gun.

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
After watching the replay, I'd probably take Cam Wood's 10 clearances over Longer's performance on the weekend, although it was close. To put it bluntly though, St Kilda would be expecting much more from Longer than breaking even with the third choice ruckman from the third worst team in the AFL.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
After watching the replay, I'd probably take Cam Wood's 10 clearances over Longer's performance on the weekend, although it was close. To put it bluntly though, St Kilda would be expecting much more from Longer than breaking even with the third choice ruckman from the third worst team in the AFL.

Yep 51 hit outs 18 possesions is breaking even. LOL if Grundy did that they would be starting Grundy or Goldstein Polls.

Schraderbrau

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep 51 hit outs 18 possesions is breaking even. LOL if Grundy did that they would be starting Grundy or Goldstein Polls.
I think you are way overrated hit outs as a statistic (I can understand this because its about all Longer can do) however I don't think anyone underrates the importance of clearances and your man gifted a jouneyman ruck the match high in this area.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think you are way overrated hit outs as a statistic (I can understand this because its about all Longer can do) however I don't think anyone underrates the importance of clearances and your man gifted a jouneyman ruck the match high in this area.

Given that the last three AA rucks are all basically tap ruckman Im sure that tapouts arent over rated.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sorry to interrupt the trollfest that this thread has become, but I've had serious doubts on Longer as a long term option because of his lack of impact around the ground (although I'd been really impressed with his tapwork/ruckwork), but he's been getting better in that area so far this year and the weekend was a quantum leap forward for him in this regard, as he was terrific around the ground with his marking and consistent involvement in the play, which shows that he can do it. It was a real eye-opener for me and a massive positive for us and him going forward.

I'm not expecting him to play at that level around the ground every week from now on, but just knowing that he can do it is a huge relief, as when you combine that with his excellent tapwork, it becomes a potentially top-notch package with very few weaknesses if he ends up doing that on a more regular basis, once he gets to that age where he enters his peak and beyond- which is still a good 2-3 years off.

Part of the reason he hasn't previously done much around the ground outside the ruck contests is that he's just not had the tank, thanks I dare say to the fact he's meant to have been pretty lazy, but he copped a rocket from the playing group about the way he presented himself at the start of preseason training this latest offseason and has apparently/evidently responded really well and worked his way into the no.1 ruck role at our club, so hopefully if he continues to work this hard from now on he'll develop the sort of tank that is required to play like he did on the weekend on a much more regular basis and to get to more ruck contests (he didn't make it to a few ruck contests on the weekend, which meant that Wood was able to go up on his own and just grab the ball and kick it forward- hence him getting so many clearances).

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Longer dominated Wood, get your eyes checked mate.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Grundy well beaten in the ruck tonight by Warnock and Wood. Got a bit around the ground again in a 12 goal win as any mid would.

Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Wizards, Man. United
Grundy well beaten in the ruck tonight by Warnock and Wood. Got a bit around the ground again in a 12 goal win as any mid would.
Grundy didn't even ruck in the last quarter, and whilst he was beaten he was touted as one of our best on in a 70 point win where most of our team played excellent, he has to be doing something right.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Grundy didn't even ruck in the last quarter, and whilst he was beaten he was touted as one of our best on in a 70 point win where most of our team played excellent, he has to be doing something right.

He was well beaten in the middle by Warnock in fact he was dominated in the centre.

Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
He was well beaten in the middle by Warnock in fact he was dominated in the centre.
You're throwing out the word you pretend to hate, 'dominated'. Grundy was beaten in the ruck I'm not denying that, but the fact is he had a great game around the ground and nearly half of his hit-outs were effective. I would take his game individually over both Wood and Warnock, and combined they beat him in the ruck only.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
You're throwing out the word you pretend to hate, 'dominated'. Grundy was beaten in the ruck I'm not denying that, but the fact is he had a great game around the ground and nearly half of his hit-outs were effective. I would take his game individually over both Wood and Warnock, and combined they beat him in the ruck only.

Last week Longer had 51 hit outs v Wood. Was posted that it was only against Wood so hold no weight. Well tonight we saw Warnock who is rated behind Wood beat Grundy in the middle.

Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Last week Longer had 51 hit outs v Wood. Was posted that it was only against Wood so hold no weight. Well tonight we saw Warnock who is rated behind Wood beat Grundy in the middle.
I'll say it again, Grundy individually was better than both Warnock and Wood. Warnock rucked mostly against a mixture of White and Gault, our third and fourth choice ruckmen respectively. Grundy had 9 tackles in a team that had over 100 more possessions, kicked a goal that wasn't a complete dead rubber like Wood's, had more marks and generally gave more of a s**t about getting around the ground than two players combined who should have been trying like hell to get the margin down.

Bringing it back to Grundy vs Longer, Grundy has had a year less in the system and yet is further down the track than Longer was at this stage of his career. Every ruckman is going to have off-days and blinders in the terms of pure hit-outs (As demonstrated last week by Longer and this week by Grundy) but I feel that Grundy has a massive impact even when he isn't winning the ruck, whilst Longer can fall a bit short.

Either way both are going to be top 3 ruckmen in the competition.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll say it again, Grundy individually was better than both Warnock and Wood. Warnock rucked mostly against a mixture of White and Gault, our third and fourth choice ruckmen respectively. Grundy had 9 tackles in a team that had over 100 more possessions, kicked a goal that wasn't a complete dead rubber like Wood's, had more marks and generally gave more of a s**t about getting around the ground than two players combined who should have been trying like hell to get the margin down.

Bringing it back to Grundy vs Longer, Grundy has had a year less in the system and yet is further down the track than Longer was at this stage of his career. Every ruckman is going to have off-days and blinders in the terms of pure hit-outs (As demonstrated last week by Longer and this week by Grundy) but I feel that Grundy has a massive impact even when he isn't winning the ruck, whilst Longer can fall a bit short.

Either way both are going to be top 3 ruckmen in the competition.

I will accept a bit of the above but please don't make up stuff. Grundy and Warnock went head to head for almost three quarters. Gault didn't go into the middle much at all until late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back