Jesse hogan

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was trying to show that comparisons are ridiculous, you have a tiny sample size and a lot of variables....when your comparing based on a handful of inconsistent games it never works.

Well, your post didn't come across like that at all, regardless, you're preaching to the converted, I think he'll be a great player and compliment the Doggies forwardline very well.

Aug 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Why does Lethal hate Boyd?

Anyone catch last Friday night when they were comparing the 2 and Leigh quickly jumped in with "He's better than Boyd" Why does he dislike Boyd so much?

I don't think he hates him, but more hates the fact he's on a big contract while not proving anything to deserve it.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Is there any other history? It seems a bit of a stretch to say that he hates Boyd based solely on that.

A few weeks back on Gameday? I think it was he said he hoped the move to the doggies wouldn't work out. Because he didn't want this to become the norm where clubs pay kids big money to make the move, I understand the romance to that but clubs need to be bold these days to get a leg up on the comp and anyone who begrudges the doggies for that is pretty ignorant on where the game currently is.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
A few weeks back on Gameday? I think it was he said he hoped the move to the doggies wouldn't work out. Because he didn't want this to become the norm where clubs pay kids big money to make the move, I understand the romance to that but clubs need to be bold these days to get a leg up on the comp and anyone who begrudges the doggies for that is pretty ignorant on where the game currently is.

Its stupid, the dogs probably missed out on making a GF because they didnt have a power forward

They have gone out and grabbed one for the next 10 years and somehow there is still critisicm

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
Lethal has come from the culture of individuals taking cuts to stay together for team success.
Id image most Lions players from that era where offered s**t loads to move clubs and some probably took cuts to stay at the Lions.
I also think Leigh just thinks its too big a risk to offer a player that hasnt shown anything that much $$.

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
Lethal has come from the culture of individuals taking cuts to stay together for team success.
Id image most Lions players from that era where offered s**t loads to move clubs and some probably took cuts to stay at the Lions.
I also think Leigh just thinks its too big a risk to offer a player that hasnt shown anything that much $$.

Browny was a prime example.

A culture helped by having a retention allowance. They might have taken paycuts to stay together but they would have been pretty well off.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

A risk that Footscray supporters are damn happy the club has decided to take.

For years they've been labelled an irrelevant club now they're trying to become relevant and people criticize.

The way he said Oh he's better than Boyd annoyed me, Like he will now find anyway to fault him just because he's on that money, I know it's natural for people to justify his contract but how about we wait 3 years until we judge especially those in the media.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Once again, no he won't. There needs to be a stick thread with AFL contract rules.
Are you saying that lethal made more than $800k+ in wages over his playing career? Not taking into account present dollar value if be very surprised....

Should clarify I support the dogs making the play for Boyd and don't have issues with his wage. Can understand how it might piss off an old player though

The way he said Oh he's better than Boyd annoyed me, Like he will now find anyway to fault him just because he's on that money, I know it's natural for people to justify his contract but how about we wait 3 years until we judge especially those in the media.

It'll always happen.

There's a thread on the Saints board called "Developing Paddy" that has the Boyd contract brought up after the weekend. The poster said McCartin could become a 40 goal a year forward from next year without the $1m price tag.

The Boyd contract has nothing to do with McCartin whatsoever, unless you believe they jumped early and picked a key forward with pick one instead of being forced to buy one later. As an aside it was a stupid remark anyway, McCartin hasn't kicked a goal yet, let alone looked like a 40 goal forward. He looks like a kid severely out of his depth.

Are you saying that lethal made more than $800k+ in wages over his playing career? Not taking into account present dollar value if be very surprised.

Boyd isn't on more than what any other second year player is this year.

I'm sure Matthews would have earned enough. And if not, then why target Boyd specifically and not every other drafted player in the game?

Lefthanded

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
What did they trade for that mini draft pick ?
#3 & #13 I think.

Listed here as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_AFL_draft Melb got Hogan, Dominic Barry & pick 20 for 3&14
Even ignoring getting Barry that's like getting 1&20 for 3&14 (you could argue that mini draft pick is better than pick 1 as it's before it or you could argue it's worse given you are taking a player with a year's less development). Any way you look at it I think the Dee's did very well out of the trade.

Jul 23, 2004
At the Portsea shack
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Well, your post didn't come across like that at all, regardless, you're preaching to the converted, I think he'll be a great player and compliment the Doggies forwardline very well.
"What a great goal you just kicked Jake, you are an awesome player"

"Oh great mark Stuart, and you also look really good in those new boots"

Back