Solved The Backpacker Murders

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
At the time this was taking place I was , shall we say, very close with the daughter of the senior sergeant of bowral police station and saw the stress it put on him and the police up that way, both young and old who never would have thought in their wildest dreams of ever being involved in something like that
Just horrible

After Paul onions told bowral police station what happened to him.The police put it down has a robbery gone wrong how many robberys happen on the road in that area at that time? There were more many more victims after onions. Luckily Ivan was caught silly my him of keeping clothing etc from the victims witch was a major evidence against him.Ivan one of ten kids he also slept with hes brother boris partner,Boris wanted to shoot ivan but was to chicken to go thou with it (not really the milat way).

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
Petrie Motlop sponsor '03
AFL Club
North Melbourne
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...iller-ivan-milat/story-fni6ulvf-1226684817076

Interesting the mention of Milat's sister in the article, never realised she was a suspect, always thought his brothers were involved, and also surprised the Inspector was adamant Ivan acted alone, remember watching a crime series about these murders and the theory was that 2 people were involved because of the different ways the victims died.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My brother had a friend who was involved in covering the case for a newspaper. Said the Onions guy literally had a break down when it all twigged what he narrowly avoided. Also said that there was plenty of stuff that the Milat clan were allegedly involved in.

Wasn't Richard Milat the brother that many people suspected of being involved?

Paul Onions testimony, which put Milat away, is some of the most chilling stuff I have ever read.

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
There are so many things about this case which stick in your mind, creepy and horrible stuff.

- the pathology findings to the effect that a number of the victims had their spines severed before being killed- so they were completely helpless whilst milat did god knows what to them.

- Onions' story about running around in traffic desperately trying to flag down a motorist, whilst milat just stood by the car laughing at him.

But unquestionably the most concerning thing about this case is that it is very very likely that some of Ivan's brothers were involved. IIRC there was an eye witness report of a group of men driving a vehicle into the forest with someone tied up in it, the profile done suggested a group of men were responsible for the murders due to differences in style of some of the ligature knots etc, and Richard Milat had a reputation for being an even bigger nut than Ivan. These are some of the most repugnant crimes in Australian history, and ts kind of horrible think that several people who may be complicit in a series of crimes far worse than the Meagher case are currently walking free.

If there's a hero in the whole situation, its Onions. I reckon 9/10 people held at gunpoint in what they are told is a robbery would keep quiet, do as they're told, and let the cards fall where they may, but the result of that would be 9/10 deaths.. Onions was incredibly brave and lucky to leg it when he did, and well done for him to calling it all in,,

Aug 13, 2007
Vancouver
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oilers
There is a show on a crime channel over here called Born to Kill. They had an episode on Milat a few weeks ago. Chilling stuff. They interviewed Caroline Clarke's parents and I felt so sorry for them. I'll actually be going near that forest when I drive from Sydney to Melbourne next year so I'm sure I'll think of Onions making his escape on the highway.

Anyway, the investigators on the show seems 100% sure that he acted alone. I haven't heard of evidence that pointed to others. They do seem fairly certain though that there are more bodies in Belanglo. Crazy bastard won't admit to anything or give any more detail.

Apr 23, 2009
Barcelona, Catalonia.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
There was this story that one night Milat and an American backpacker were going through the Belangelo Forest one night and the the young guy turned to Ivan and said "Gee, the forest sure is scary at night."

To which Ivan replied "You think you're scared. I've got to walk back on me own."

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
But unquestionably the most concerning thing about this case is that it is very very likely that some of Ivan's brothers were involved. IIRC there was an eye witness report of a group of men driving a vehicle into the forest with someone tied up in it, the profile done suggested a group of men were responsible for the murders due to differences in style of some of the ligature knots etc, and Richard Milat had a reputation for being an even bigger nut than Ivan. These are some of the most repugnant crimes in Australian history, and ts kind of horrible think that several people who may be complicit in a series of crimes far worse than the Meagher case are currently walking free.

All things considered, it would be an anomaly if Ivan Milat did everything himself. You look at the entry level details and it screams co-operation: close family, living together, brothers mad as cut snakes. The information about the different MO's and knots is probably just another aspect, not the tying one. I remember on the Crime Investigations Australia show, they might've even mentioned incest... am I imagining this?

I try not to think about this case but I've gone back on the crime board and can't help it. When you're of a similar age and about to go off and do the things these victims did, it's awful. Those parents are the ones who are as heroic as Onions – living through that s**t every day...

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
All things considered, it would be an anomaly if Ivan Milat did everything himself. You look at the entry level details and it screams co-operation: close family, living together, brothers mad as cut snakes. The information about the different MO's and knots is probably just another aspect, not the tying one. I remember on the Crime Investigations Australia show, they might've even mentioned incest... am I imagining this?

I try not to think about this case but I've gone back on the crime board and can't help it. When you're of a similar age and about to go off and do the things these victims did, it's awful. Those parents are the ones who are as heroic as Onions – living through that s**t every day...

You're going to Europe aren't you? Just need to watch or re-watch Hostel again ;)

Bringing this back up ...

Sunday Night show on ch7 ... advertising about a woman who says Ivan Milat killed her father ... Way before all these others.

Being ch7 and they're about to air a 2 part series called 'catching milat' ... could be BS?

Last edited:
Bringing this back up ...

Sunday Night show on ch7 ... advertising about a woman who says Ivan Mila killed her father ... Way before all these others.

Being ch7 and they're about to air a 2 part series called 'catching milat' ... could be BS?
Hard not to think this...

Milat probably killed dozens more people.
...is right.

Milat's face chills me like few others.

So the brother Boris ... says a 17yo Ivan admitted to shooting a taxi driver (he had robbed two previously)... another guy confessed coz he thought he was protecting his own brother. He was never on the police radar so a bit of a long bow to say if cops had got him then it may have prevented later murders.

The brother said he was protecting Ivan ... now having a cleansing of his soul?

This coming sunday Boris will state Ivan has murdered many more ... yawn

The cops are to review the old taxi driver case in light of this new info

Last edited:
So the brother Boris ... says a 17yo Ivan admitted to shooting a taxi driver (he had robbed two previously)... another guy confessed coz he thought he was protecting his own brother. He was never on the police radar so a bit of a long bow to say if cops had got him then it may have prevented later murders.

The brother said he was protecting Ivan ... now having a cleansing of his soul?

This coming sunday Boris will state Ivan has murdered many more ... yawn

The cops are to review the old taxi driver case in light of this new info
I didn't realise there was a second installment. That should be good. I quite enjoyed Sunday night's episode.

I didn't realise there was a second installment. That should be good. I quite enjoyed Sunday night's episode.

Yea me neither ... just saw an ad ... Boris submits to a lie detector test too

I haven't, but thanks for the recommendation. I might get it today!

The series 'Catching Milat' is based on the 'sins of the brother' book

Back