Solved The Backpacker Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

Catching Milat series 8.45pm this Sunday ch7 ... as house rules is on ... means about 9pm :)

So what were people's thoughts on Part One?

I said after the first ad break "will give it 2 more ad breaks before we turn it off/ change channels"- thought the first bit was very weak, very rushed, and hardly any dialogue. The very first scene was good tho I thought. In general tho, just wanted more detail and I guess they are too restricted in the overall time they have to tell the story. It picked up imo- the flashback scenes were great, the grainy type footage had a very creepy chilling effect, i hope we see more of the crimes depicted next week.

The crimes are not the focus of this show. The crimes have been re-enacted in other shows. This show is about the Police investigation to catch Milat. Also, hopefuly it will delve into the court case as well. From what I remember the trial was a bit of a circus with Milat ending up defending himself and the chief witness naming Richard Milat as the chief suspect.

I really liked it. Wasn't really expecting a lot from it as I know how easily Australian TV can stuff something up, but was pleasantly surprised. The guy playing Milat does a decent job to make him seem like a un-nerving psychopath.

The crimes are not the focus of this show. The crimes have been re-enacted in other shows. This show is about the Police investigation to catch Milat. Also, hopefuly it will delve into the court case as well. From what I remember the trial was a bit of a circus with Milat ending up defending himself and the chief witness naming Richard Milat as the chief suspect.

Yea ... I think Milat booted his lawyer...the defence case was to dump the blame on other brothers?

The chief witness was Onions ...dont think he named Richard but having read 'sins of the brother' he could easily have been involved?

He seems more full on crazy than Ivan

Enjoyed the show ... the actor playing Ivan did a good job

Last edited:
Were the produces trying to suggest that Ivan gave his sister a Wellington Boot ????

It seemed to be going in that direction. ..Ivan rumored to have fathered Wally and Boris (his brothers) kids according to the book 'sins of the brother' so anything is possible with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard that there was more than one person's DNA found on cigarettes near the bodies.....severely doubt Ivan acted alone

I get the impression the cops (Superintendent Clive Small especially) were happy to just get one guy ... judge and other cops seemed to think more ... Ivan's brothers or sister?

The only surviving victim that we know about is Paul Onions and Ivan was on his own at the time. Whether it was different with other victims we will probably never know.

The only surviving victim that we know about is Paul Onions and Ivan was on his own at the time. Whether it was different with other victims we will probably never know.

That's a good point. Onions was only a few weeks after the first pair disappeared.

In the show after Wally had told the cops his story about seeing the English girls in the forest with a group of blokes with guns, Richard freaks out to Ivan about it.

Clive Small stated that "...It claims to be a 'true story'. It might make a good story but it doesn't fit with the facts..." so I wouldn't take the show as gospel. I'd trust Clive Small before I trusted a tv producer.

No way he acted alone.

He may have been the ringleader but I have no doubt the whole family was in on it. The whole family is sick.

Don't think you can say the whole family was sick, at least a couple of them seem ok. It may be that a couple of them had knowledge what he was doing and helped him out but don't have the compulsion to kill like Ivan did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back