Player Watch Matt Crouch - Re-Signed to End of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

FantasticShirt

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2010
Melbourne + Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The two of them together will be an impressive sight when they're both fully fit and playing full games. That effort of Matt Crouch's on the weekend to get the ball and deliver it to Walker on the lead was perfect. The fact it came about from a Laird tackle made it even better :)

This thread makes me happy, but it also makes me sad because it reminds me that Crouch Snr is out for another few rounds and we've been robbed of seeing him play a full season. I think people forget how good he was in the back half of his rookie year.

#wecrouchasone

Wright Away

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The two of them together will be an impressive sight when they're both fully fit and playing full games. That effort of Matt Crouch's on the weekend to get the ball and deliver it to Walker on the lead was perfect. The fact it came about from a Laird tackle made it even better :)

This thread makes me happy, but it also makes me sad because it reminds me that Crouch Snr is out for another few rounds and we've been robbed of seeing him play a full season. I think people forget how good he was in the back half of his rookie year.

#wecrouchasone

Crouch will be back for rnd 12 or 13.

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very interesting comparisons.

He is defiantly in special company in his ability to find the ball.

I notice Thompson isn't on there, any reason why?
I'm not going to fact check, but I'd presume he debuted before the time on ground stat was recorded, as with Ablett, etc as mentioned.

The19thMan

All Australian
Apr 15, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nice work, we need more statistical analysis like this on this board and in the AFL in general.

I've always thought that we need a more sophisticated player ranking system in the AFL, the Player Ratings system they have on the AFL website doesn't quite cut it and they don't really release enough info of interest.

And regarding Matt Crouch I think that fitness is the major hurdle for him. Defensive work is also a weakness according to NikkiNoo. I reckon having his brother in the team would help that though, I'm sure B.Crouch wouldn't hesitate a second before screaming at his brother to get back :p

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
Nice work, we need more statistical analysis like this on this board and in the AFL in general.

I've always thought that we need a more sophisticated player ranking system in the AFL, the Player Ratings system they have on the AFL website doesn't quite cut it and they don't really release enough info of interest.

And regarding Matt Crouch I think that fitness is the major hurdle for him. Defensive work is also a weakness according to NikkiNoo. I reckon having his brother in the team would help that though, I'm sure B.Crouch wouldn't hesitate a second before screaming at his brother to get back :p
What does the player rating system not cover for you 19th?

lunacy

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I'm loving M.Crouch. I think he has a very nice kick and only really mis-kicks it mean he tries to kick it 50m+. I think he is a much better kick than Brad. Matt is the smooth mover, while Brad is the burst/powerful/quick midfielder. They'll complement each other really well.
Both rack up the possessions, have wonderful hands in close, tackle hard, and have an aggressive streak.

Whilst we have a surplus of inside mids, I was super happy we drafted Matt. Both aren't going anywhere now and they'll build a strong culture because they'll love this club.

Last edited:
May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

#wecrouchasone
That kick was beautiful as I was typing when I first saw it, I thought Lyons had kicked it. Very happy to see it was from the supposed poor kick

This wasn't targeted at me, but there's a few things I don't like about the Player Ratings:
  • Defenders aren't given much credit for shutdown work, hence why Gibson, Johnson and Hurley rate so highly while the shutdown defenders people often rate as better (eg. in AA contention) like Talia, Hooker, MacKenzie, etc. don't rate as highly.
  • The rating of rucks is dubious as most people subjectively evaluate Naitanui (for example) as not as good a ruckman as Mumford, Lobbe, Minson, etc.
  • I don't think many people rate Brent Harvey as the 6th best player over the past few years, above JPK, Franklin, Gray, Watson all of whom are subjectively better
  • Key forwards ratings don't appear to be as highly rated to goals kicked as they should be. Hence why Westhoff is rated as a better forward than Hawkins, Schulz, Pavlich, Cameron, etc.
It's hard to tell what's wrong with their rating system without seeing it, but I would definitely tweak it somewhat.

Generally I think it does a decent job for a stats-based ranking for the top 50 or so players, bar the odd one. Below that, I don't think it's very accurate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

Yeah I wonder if the fitness thing is the issue as well. Easy to forget his ankle surgery.

Geez, Can we have these two brother have one full year without both getting injured??

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Throw in any other names you think worth comparing and I'll update the table when I get the time. (Of course if they come out better than Bob I'll have to pretend I couldn't find the time ;) )

The19thMan

All Australian
Apr 15, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well first of all they don't explain how it works very well. It isn't customizable at all, for example you can't see who has been the best player in the last 3 weeks or last 25 games.

Then the actual system doesn't seem to quite get it right, for example the All-Australian defenders last year were Talia and Hooker right. Well they are 27th and 6th respectly among key defenders. Even then it rates Matt Wright ahead of Talia, I'm not a Wright hater but he's not better than Talia.

All this is just scratching the surface.

Stuff like GPS data should be readily available to supporters during games as well but that's going off on a tangent.

Overall I just think the AFL should be putting more resources into the statistical side of the game.

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I love the way they try to analyse effectiveness rather than just rating people supercoach style.

the problem I have with the whole system however is that assumptions have to be made and/or derived about how you measure that effectiveness and we're largely left in the dark about that black magic process.

particularly interested in how much if any AI is involved or whether its just a bunch of manually configured parameters (or guesses as I like to call them :))

I hope they sacked the guy that kept putting him in the green jacket...

1411012616113.jpg

particularly interested in how much if any AI is involved or whether its just a bunch of manually configured parameters (or guesses as I like to call them :))

Pretty sure it's all based off Champion Data's extremely comprehensive stats they provide through a subscription

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Good thread :thumbsu:

Priddis made his debut as a 21 year old too. Was a mature-ager and therefore ready to go.

So our guys are No 1 and 2 really :)

Where will you be when the Crouch Bros crack 80 disposals?

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pretty sure it's all based off Champion Data's extremely comprehensive stats they provide through a subscription
based off, yes, but I want to know the details.

somehow they convert an incredible amount of stats into points, that process is what I want to know more about (not that they'll ever tell us).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back