Remove this Banner Ad

Crock

All Australian
Oct 22, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hello Comrades
I’m disappointed with the drop in number of free to air games for 2012 and am now being forced to consider Foxtel!
However for personal reasons, I like to copy games to dvd (or AVI) and then watch them at my own leisure.
I understand that this is difficult to do because Foxtel signal is encrypted (both HD and standard???), and I’m guessing that their equipment (IQ?) is set up in such a way that it makes it difficult to attach DVD recorders.
I have two dvd recorders (both with built in hard drives), a Pioneer which is not HD and a Panasonic which is HD.
Would appreciate if somebody could shed some light on how to do this for me.

Cheers (and happy new year)

G'day Crock - I believe it is possible to copy most content onto an external DVD recorder. I'm pretty sure you'd just take one of the extra outputs (component etc) from the IQ and connect it up. The only time you'd run into issues there is if you try to copy new release movies (on demand/box office) which I believe are encrypted to prevent copying. Everything else should be no different to normal TV content, however you want to check with the poster named Shwab on this - he's the Foxtel expert around these parts.

Personally I just record all the games on Foxtel onto my Foxtel IQHD box and free-to-air games onto an external hard-drive, then I can watch and re-watch any Hawks game whenever I feel like it, but obviously if your hard drive on the IQ gets full it'd be handy to be able to back up to disk.

I'll see if I can get Shwab to respond in more detail and correct my mistakes.

Hello Comrades
I’m disappointed with the drop in number of free to air games for 2012 and am now being forced to consider Foxtel!
However for personal reasons, I like to copy games to dvd (or AVI) and then watch them at my own leisure.
I understand that this is difficult to do because Foxtel signal is encrypted (both HD and standard???), and I’m guessing that their equipment (IQ?) is set up in such a way that it makes it difficult to attach DVD recorders.
I have two dvd recorders (both with built in hard drives), a Pioneer which is not HD and a Panasonic which is HD.

Hey Crock, good question. I've had IQ for years and i explored this years ago, I think it was 2008. The IQ has a USB port but there is no way to record from IQ to ther USB as for as i know and i did do some research.

The best way is to arrange your cables to funnel foxtel to the dvd recorder and record it that way OR perhaps, a new TV with USB input that records toi USB (if foxtel works).

Hope that makes sense!

G'day Crock,

3 solutions here my friend.

1 - There's a new iQHD with a 1TB drive, it stores over 100 hrs of HD so you can keep the games as long as you like.

2 - All games will be available in free "On Demand", so if you're iQHD is connected to your broadband you can watch any of the past 4 games or the "last time they played XXX" at anytime (in standard def).

3 - Connect iQHD to a DVD recorder.

Cheers.

Hello Comrades

Check your Pm's mate :D

The back of Foxtel should have 2 Scart outputs. The one with the reel symbol should but plugged in to an AV input of a DVD recorder, and that AV input selected on your Recorder (no different than a VCR). Quality will not be high grade, but will do the job. Not many other options, if any.

i am trying to record last years grand final onto dvd because i want the before and after the game content you don't get by buying the dvd. I have a foxtel IQ2 and a dvd/vcr that records. does anyone have any idea on how to do this?

i am trying to record last years grand final onto dvd because i want the before and after the game content you don't get by buying the dvd. I have a foxtel IQ2 and a dvd/vcr that records. does anyone have any idea on how to do this?

The quality will be a bit off, but simply plug the Yellow/Red/White cables out of the Foxtel Box (must use the scart connection), and plug into one of the AV inputs on your DVD recorder. Select this input on your recorder, have the disc ready to record and press play on the IQ program, and record on your recorder. That's the only way you will be able to do it with your recorder.

The quality will be a bit off, but simply plug the Yellow/Red/White cables out of the Foxtel Box (must use the scart connection), and plug into one of the AV inputs on your DVD recorder. Select this input on your recorder, have the disc ready to record and press play on the IQ program, and record on your recorder. That's the only way you will be able to do it with your recorder.
ok thank you only thing is the IQ has a HDMI cord will that affect it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back