Opinion Jackson Thurlow

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty bloody impressive form considering he missed 2 months of pre season with his kidney injury

Imagine him off a full pre season!

Did Thurlow take any kick outs last night? I remember him taking a lot over previous weeks but it seemed to be mainly Enright and Mackie last night, and I though we seemed to struggle with the kick outs at different stages of the match - be curious to see what the reasoning behind not using Thurlowlast night was.

I thought i saw Thurlow kick in on a number of occasions. Another part of the "plan" i think is to get the ball to Thurlow with the first kick to the pocket. He then has the green light to hit up in the corridoor compared with others who usually have to go down the wing. Just something that had me thinking as I sat in the "Gods" last night
He didn't kick out much at all last night. Enright, Mackie and even Taylor did it mostly. It was peculiar given how successful he has been in previous weeks at it. I think they were trying to get the ball in his hands further up the ground which makes sense.

Whats he worth Pure... I find it difficult to put a number on it? What would he be on now? Whats the average pay for an AFL player I guess , and what the other guys with less than 100 games to their name getting. 900 over 3 years?

I might be looking at it wron..maybe the 1 year contract was less on dollars , maybe it was being convinced that he was in their plans to be a regular. That should be on concern that has been subverted now. Bews and Thurlow Best 22 now and for several years to come.

I would say a long term deal at 300ish a year is about right. but it obviously depends how much we are setting aside for hawk and motlop and what $ we are offering danger etc

I think it is, and it is more interesting for how well Thurlow is playing. At the time the more pressing need was our aging backline. The rucks we thought we had. As was said though if we had Grundy we wouldn't have Stanley and maybe, we'd have H Goddard which would be a head start on our other pressing need, a big defender.

Only issue is you can't play the game of who we should have gotten in the draft too much. It gets not fun fast when you see some of the guns floating around. Could have used Rockliff last couple of years.

Thurlow looks like he'll make it. That is a win for any draft pick. He looks like he'll become very good. A massive win.

Which position is our next most urgent? Extracting mid? Ruck? Full back? Don't know. Fascinated to see this coming years trade and draft period.

Grundy will be one of the better Rucks in the comp over his career. There will be a lot of good rucks over that time that become available.
What Thurlow has done this year off his injury with 18 game to date is super impressive.
More impressive then Corey Enright at the same age thats for sure.
He will control our half back line for years to come. A great pick for us. Forget Grundy. Be grateful we got this kid

Grundy will be one of the better Rucks in the comp over his career. There will be a lot of good rucks over that time that become available.
What Thurlow has done this year off his injury with 18 game to date is super impressive.
More impressive then Corey Enright at the same age thats for sure.
He will control our half back line for years to come. A great pick for us. Forget Grundy. Be grateful we got this kid

Super call @bhp25, couldn't agree more about Thurlow
Just wait till he adds another 2-3 preseasons to that 190cm frame , I dare say he will be unstoppable.
If he continues to develop he will be a 200+ gamer and with that leg and coolness under pressure he will be a firm fan favorite over that time.
Great pick by Wells

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say a long term deal at 300ish a year is about right. but it obviously depends how much we are setting aside for hawk and motlop and what $ we are offering danger etc
We would have to have a plan with all the other contracts in mind so Thurlow performing as he has should have been within scope of their plans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's strange looking back but I do remember some were upset we went with Thurlow ahead of Grundy in the 2012 draft.
Not only does he appear to have much more upside, we may have also found a better version of Grundy via Rhys Stanley :)

Perhaps two master selections in quick succession?

I'm a founding member of the bandwagon with Turbocat

On ya Boris.

Im a sucker for footskills...but this kids and has always shown more than just that. He currently has played 19 games and is 21...so with the modern convention of the age/game paradigm... he will be a fairly handy player at 23 and close to 70 games to his name.

On ya Boris.

Im a sucker for footskills...but this kids and has always shown more than just that. He currently has played 19 games and is 21...so with the modern convention of the age/game paradigm... he will be a fairly handy player at 23 and close to 70 games to his name.

Can't see him missing many from now on....

Stephen Wells, take a bow. You have done it again.

Thurlow is, amongst several others, fast becoming the best kick in the team. A brilliant vertical leap that is making him play 10cms taller in spoiling contests. Does not shirk a contest even after kidney and broken jaw damage in recent times.

And did I mention a sublime set of foot skills. And its less than 30 games.

As they say in the UK a lot….

Mega.

Go Catters

Stephen Wells, take a bow. You have done it again.

Thurlow is, amongst several others, fast becoming the best kick in the team. A brilliant vertical leap that is making him play 10cms taller in spoiling contests. Does not shirk a contest even after kidney and broken jaw damage in recent times.

And did I mention a sublime set of foot skills. And its less than 30 games.

As they say in the UK a lot….

Mega.

Go Catters
Guthrie's goal on the run from 50. Came about because there was a highball that was 70/30 in Port's favour and he flew with the flight and halved the contest. Think that was when I bumped the thread. Cannot wait until I see some of my mates later in the year, ridiculing the club (not cats fans btw) for taking Thurlow over Grundy. Egg meet faces:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back