Multiplat Shenmue 3

Remove this Banner Ad

lol. Is this game worth the money and the fuss?
The fans have been waiting for over a decade for the 'closing' chapter. And Sega Dreamcast/Shenmue fans are ... well, fanatical.

The types to call the games legitimate works of art and national treasures.

lol. Is this game worth the money and the fuss?
Yes. But you really need to have experienced them at their release to understand how far ahead of their time they were. People will unfortunately find it hard to jump in at number 3 because there is a strong story and a lot of character development from the first two games.

I find it hard to see how this will be a financial success for Sony especially with the way the kickstarter is structured. The majority of people that will buy it will donate to the kickstarter over the next month and will get a copy of the game as part of the kickstarter. Other than selling consoles (they got me with this one) and the goodwill they have received from Shenmue fans it doesn't make much sense to me from Sony's perspective. Yu Suzuki has come out and said Sony aren't contributing much to it financially (maybe to get more interest in the kickstarter)... I'd love to know what they are contributing because the first two games cost $70 million to make.

Yes. But you really need to have experienced them at their release to understand how far ahead of their time they were. People will unfortunately find it hard to jump in at number 3 because there is a strong story and a lot of character development from the first two games.

I find it hard to see how this will be a financial success for Sony especially with the way the kickstarter is structured. The majority of people that will buy it will donate to the kickstarter over the next month and will get a copy of the game as part of the kickstarter. Other than selling consoles (they got me with this one) and the goodwill they have received from Shenmue fans it doesn't make much sense to me from Sony's perspective. Yu Suzuki has come out and said Sony aren't contributing much to it financially (maybe to get more interest in the kickstarter)... I'd love to know what they are contributing because the first two games cost $70 million to make.

They might be contributing tech or developers to help with it. Not raw cash, but expertise or tools to help get the project done.

The first 2 don't look like games that cost 70 mill to make by todays standards though. I cant see the overall cost for Shenmue 3 getting anywhere close to them tbh.

Makes you wonder where that 70 mill was spent, i could understand the first Shenmue costing a bit having originally been a Saturn title before it died and needed to be reworked for the Dreamcast hardware.

The fans have been waiting for over a decade for the 'closing' chapter. And Sega Dreamcast/Shenmue fans are ... well, fanatical.

The types to call the games legitimate works of art and national treasures.

Well the first one was quite revolutionary in terms of non-linearity, was probably the first 3D open world game.

The first 2 don't look like games that cost 70 mill to make by todays standards though. I cant see the overall cost for Shenmue 3 getting anywhere close to them tbh.

Makes you wonder where that 70 mill was spent, i could understand the first Shenmue costing a bit having originally been a Saturn title before it died and needed to be reworked for the Dreamcast hardware.
Yeah, but they can churn out games on the cheap these days because all of the hard work has been done already. For example, a lot of the FPS's run on the same game engine. Everything you already in place.

But with Shenmue, they had to create a whole new game engine from scratch,as nothing like this had been done before. Then look at the size of the game, it's absolutely massive for that era. The amount of rooms and places you can explore, every detail of the game is ridiculous. The research of the different cultures (Japan and China). An orchestra for the musical score.

I don't really play games anymore, but I doubt there's many out there which have/had the scope of Shenmue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long did it take you to download it? Mine was taking ages so I just gave up.

30 minutes from emuparadise

Tried playing Space Harrier in the arcade and got a black screen, so if you do get it, dont play the arcade games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back