Mega Thread The Welcome Thread - If you're new (or old) to BigFooty introduce yourself here

Welcome PicaBoo interesting story that you are not a Born Aussie and how you came a Pies Fan.

Just ask questions on here and we try and help you understand the Game. Though even at time we not sure ourselves what is going on all the time

Thanks TD. I will try not to bother you too much, I should be OK / Don't ask me to about the exact technicalities about 'holding the ball' but from what I gather, even the umps don't know. But I am biased anyway :)
Forgot to mention that i am following cricket too. After my first year in Oz and given up on AFL, I thought to follow watch another fav Aussie sport. That was 2005. Awesome Ashes series, didn't care about the result back then but liked the game and the banter. My father-in-law is from Yorkshire....
And as I am in IT and most of my colleagues are from India, cricket is always a good topic as ice breaker They are always surprised that a Dutchie actually knows anything about cricket.

Thanks TD. I will try not to bother you too much, I should be OK / Don't ask me to about the exact technicalities about 'holding the ball' but from what I gather, even the umps don't know. But I am biased anyway :)
Forgot to mention that i am following cricket too. After my first year in Oz and given up on AFL, I thought to follow watch another fav Aussie sport. That was 2005. Awesome Ashes series, didn't care about the result back then but liked the game and the banter. My father-in-law is from Yorkshire....
And as I am in IT and most of my colleagues are from India, cricket is always a good topic as ice breaker They are always surprised that a Dutchie actually knows anything about cricket.

IIRC Holland has a pretty handy cricket team?

Though even at time we not sure ourselves what is going on all the time

Never a truer word posted :p

IIRC Holland has a pretty handy cricket team?
We had the better of England a few times in the World T20 but have been slaughtered by the SA immediately after. Mostly we expats that have learned the art while overseas and mercenaries that hold a NL passport. Ten Doeschate is probably the best we got now. A few years back we had Dirk Nannes in our team for example.
Which reminds me, DeGoey must be Dutch heritage too. So is Schoenmakers ( atrocious pronouncation by you AngleSaxons , couldn't understand his name until I read it ) A few more like them and we can have a Dutch AFL team.
11703108_10152832403516968_5725906172195279938_n.jpg

Talbs

Draftee
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey guys.

I've been on bigfooty for a while but haven't contributed anything yet so I thought I would introduce myself

1. I barrack for the pies

2. Favorite current player - Pendlebury, although Marley has been coming close lately.

3. Favorite moment was when we won the 2010 flag.

4. Growing up my Dads side of the family barracked for the pies and my Mums side barracked for Carlton so I was given the choice and went with the pies

Im 21 years old and currently living in Mornington, feel free to ask any questions :)

Are you across the term Dutch-Ovens btw?
Oh 10 yrs here in Oz have taught me a few things. Dutch Ovens, Dutch Courage, Double Dutch, Going Dutch, whatever. All of that invented by the Poms out of spite when back in the 1600's we were ruling the wave and not good ol' Brittania.
The only thing that is truly Dutch and can be hold against us, is Dutch Licorice . Especially the triple salt variety which I can eat with a smile but which most Aussies find disgusting. Strange , as in violation of the tastebuds it is up there with Vegemite IMHO.
But are you familiar with the term Australian kissing?

Oh 10 yrs here in Oz have taught me a few things. Dutch Ovens, Dutch Courage, Double Dutch, Going Dutch, whatever. All of that invented by the Poms out of spite when back in the 1600's we were ruling the wave and not good ol' Brittania.
The only thing that is truly Dutch and can be hold against us, is Dutch Licorice . Especially the triple salt variety which I can eat with a smile but which most Aussies find disgusting. Strange , as in violation of the tastebuds it is up there with Vegemite IMHO.
But are you familiar with the term Australian kissing?

I had a mate who took me to a Dutch festival with that hated salt licorice 30 years ago.

You must fill me in on Australian kissing.

LukeH10

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Long time listener, first time caller?

A bit nervous about taking your first tentative steps into the maelstrom that is BigFooty?

That's all cool, we were all newbies once, we know what it's like.

Why not introduce yourself by letting us know a little about yourself.

Here's some questions to help you!:

1) Who do you barrack for? (hint anything but Collingwood ends with a banzhammer)
2) Who's your favourite Collingwood player?
3) What is your favourite Collingwood moment?
4) How did you come to be a Pies fan?

Oh and last, but definitely not least, welcome to the Collingwood forum on BigFooty :thumbsu:

A bit nervous about taking your first tentative steps into the maelstrom that is BigFooty?

1) Who do you barrack for? (hint anything but Collingwood ends with a banzhammer)

Oh and last, but definitely not least, welcome to the Collingwood forum on BigFooty :thumbsu:

Helll

Hey, just joined Big Footy. Have always followed it a bit but just have never made an account. Thought i may as well, why not. I love AFL & I love my Pies, been a massive fan all my life. I get to most games in Victoria.
(1) I follow Collingwood.
(2) Favourite Collingwood player - I was a massive Dids fan in my younger days, then Swanny was my no.1 for a period of time, Pendles my no.1 now. Just adore him, regard him as the best in the comp. just an out & out star of the game. Also becoming a massive fan of Marley Williams, should be all Australian this year.
(3) Favourite Collingwood moment - 2010 GF replay, "Swan's gonna kick a goal, they're home you would think, I know it's a long way to go, but thy're killing them now!"
Just perfect, we knew we had the flag at that moment.
(4) I came to be a Pies fan due to my dad being a Pies man.

Pies lad

Draftee
Aug 1, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Collingwoods my team!!

Fav player would have to be Jamie Elliot , I reckon he could win a Brownlow running through the middle one day

2010 flag for sure

I became a fan because at school everyone hated the pies and I hated everyone else

I know it's not a great time to be a pie but I support the boys through thick and thin , it's hard to see why the it's turned to crap after such a promising start
We'll come through it, it might take 10 years but we'll come through!

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

1) Collingwood, is there anything else?
2) Scott Pendlebury
3) 1990 Grand Final win, though it was more a relief, but I was there! I did get to hold the Premiership Cup during the week and have a photo of it, nice!
4) apparently born that way - nephew and niece have been given this gift from birth

Ok, that was the first post...

Kyrieee

Draftee
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers, Man CIty
LF: nice 15 year old australian girl to talk to on Skype

But seriously
Hi i am new here, 22 years old and a big sports fan.

Rushed Point

Debutant
Jul 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have always been a Big Footy reader but only just recently joined.
In my late thirties, I grew up in family of mad Collingwood supporters in the northern suburbs so had no other choice. Well maybe Carlton. :confused::eek:
Love the forum as we all feel the same pain when things don't go right but we can all rejoice together as one when they do.
I am very excited with the current list Buckley and co. is putting together and can sense that long term success is not too far away.

Merlington

Debutant
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hello! I am a Collingwood supporter who has just joined BigFooty! Greetings!

I am nearly 50, was born in Australia but have lived for much of my life overseas, and have returned here so my wife and kids can know something of Australia. I support Collingwood (and always have done, even from some of the most remote locations) because my papa did. As a boy I was at Victoria Park the day South Melbourne beat us and Graham Teasdale got 10 out of 10 in Sunscore. I went to losing Grand Finals in 1979 and 1981, but I celebrated 1990 (from London) and 2010 (from Moscow - where I convinced an Irish bar owner [who had lived in Australia] to open the bar at about 8AM so we could watch the broadcast).

I think that Collingwood is at the low point in its rebuild under Buckley (who I think a great man) and that our future is bright!

smashelmo

Draftee
Apr 1, 2010
Sorrento
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colts, Pistons
Hi guys,

longtime reader of the forums, not sure why it's taken so long to finally post but here tis.
35, live in Melbourne, been in a Pies jumper since I was born and wouldn't change it.
Favourite player is a toughie, loved Gavin Brown growing up, current day probably Grundy.
Favourite moment gotta be Heath Shaw's smother of Riewoldt, favourite game would be the 2002 qualifying final v Port.

Cheers

Hi guys,

longtime reader of the forums, not sure why it's taken so long to finally post but here tis.
35, live in Melbourne, been in a Pies jumper since I was born and wouldn't change it.
Favourite player is a toughie, loved Gavin Brown growing up, current day probably Grundy.
Favourite moment gotta be Heath Shaw's smother of Riewoldt, favourite game would be the 2002 qualifying final v Port.

Cheers
Welcome smashelmo - look forward to seeing you around the boards

Back