Review David Noble - Smooth Operator, or Scourge of God?

Is David Noble...

• a Smooth Operator?

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • the Scourge Of God?

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • he's no Phil Harper, that's for sure

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
987268-c15b3ba4-a6bc-11e4-a9d7-6cc5c5f56890.jpg

even David doesn't know

Now that I'm getting old - mid to late 30's - the memory is going, and nostalgia is creeping in; visions of the past are foggy and warm, with happy feelings blanketing my soul. Ahhhhhh. Sweet death, I am coming.

Also, I vaguely recall during the Dark Ages (i.e., the last six year's of the reign of Trigg the Destroyer) that our collective group-think here on BF was that Mr Noble was the only person in the administration of our fine club who could manage to (a) get pissed in a brewery (b) laid in a brothel (c) effectively do anything football related.

I even remember a Slippery Pete thread referencing the Lego movie about how everything is awesome, during which he made particular note that whilst doing all the roles he was doing, at one point he answered to Sando, who answered back to him. I'd love to see that org chart, let me tell you.

But in recent months, I've noticed a... trend. Now, I'm not going to claim you're all the best history revisionists since Keith Windschuttle, but I'm getting the feeling that Davo is no longer considered the highly respected, Sade-lovin' smooth operator he once. Instead, he's been replaced by David FFS Noble, and those middle initials do not stand for Francis Felix Steven or any such waffle.

Which is it? Has he fallen from grace like the morning star, or is he continuing on as strongly as before? Also, WTF happened to change everyone's minds?

Houston

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Considering the absolute turmoil this club has gone through since 2010 and the job he has managed to do I rate him as smooth as that bear from the Kraft peanut butter ads.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
But in recent months, I've noticed a... trend. Now, I'm not going to claim you're all the best history revisionists since Keith Windschuttle, but I'm getting the feeling that Davo is no longer considered the highly respected, Sade-lovin' smooth operator he once. Instead, he's been replaced by David FFS Noble, and those middle initials do not stand for Francis Felix Steven or any such waffle.

Which is it? Has he fallen from grace like the morning star, or is he continuing on as strongly as before? Also, WTF happened to change everyone's minds?
It's Big Footy, where people tend to jump off the deep end very quickly (that works both ways though, good and bad). The momentum has just gone the other way.

He's doing fine I think. Some questionable moves (4 years for Mackay), but plenty of other good stuff too.

Elder van Berlo

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Certainly made the best out of a bad situation when Gunston left. But even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

The difficult thing is, we really never quite know who makes the decisions. The Reilly and Mackay contracts were stinkers. Anybody could see that. So if they were Noble's doing, then I would vote scourge of God.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd like to know how his role is defined, and what his responsibility and influence actually is.

How involved in match committee and selection is he?

He's the major constant over the last few years, where we give mediocre players ridiculously long opportunities to get their mojo back, while leaving youngsters in the SANFL.

Does he have the final say in contractual matters?

Mackay, Reilly, VB - horrible contract decisions; did he make them?

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Still got a lot of man love for the Nobester. Steered the good ship Adelaide through troubled waters while the rest of the crew were cowering ineffectively below decks. Its just some of the lengthy and allegedly pricey contract extensions offered to some mainstays of mediocrity like VB and Mackay that have raised the brow.

Having said that, he was at the helm in a period of unprecedented player drain and it was probably an imperative to stop the rot and restore some stability by retaining what players we could when the perception was the AFC holding onto players was like a crab holding onto a greasy axe dangling off a tall building.

There is also the real likelihood that he was operating under instruction form various others (Sando). I believe he had a fair bit of input in some very good decisions like going after Walsh and Reid, so he's still well ahead in my book.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
It's really hard to judge him given his role at the club has been hard to define these past few years.

It's also hard to judge his recruiting given our recent draft sanctions.

Giving Mackay 4 years is an absolute howler though. We should have been jumping at the chance to trade him to Melbourne when he still had value.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Still got a lot of man love for the Nobester. Steered the good ship Adelaide through troubled waters while the rest of the crew were cowering ineffectively below decks. Its just some of the lengthy and allegedly pricey contract extensions offered to some mainstays of mediocrity like VB and Mackay that have raised the brow.

Having said that, he was at the helm in a period of unprecedented player drain and it was probably an imperative to stop the rot and restore some stability by retaining what players we could when the perception was the AFC holding onto players was like a crab holding onto a greasy axe dangling off a tall building.

There is also the real likelihood that he was operating under instruction form various others (Sando). I believe he had a fair bit of input in some very good decisions like going after Walsh and Reid, so he's still well ahead in my book.

I think he was instrumental in the sacking of Sando; earns quite a few points for that.

They should drop Mackay FOR Noble, stop rubbing his (and our) face in it every week.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
If the Suns can be labelled "Gary Coast" due to their reliance on him, we could be known as the "Noble Crows" given his ability to do a good job in all the roles he has had at our club.

One of the toughest roles I am.sure was that of taking charge of the Footy Department when Walshy died. He (and Roo) have made the right call in setting the coaching team up so our guys can get the best out of a bad situation.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I rate him highly. Trigg level highly. Doing some fantastic work behind the scenes. Like VB's captaincy. I'm sure he's mostly responsible for developing our worlds best practise football dept. Just a little more luck and I'm sure it'll start to turn around for us. It always makes me laugh that these keyboard heroes tee off on club employees when they have never worked for an AFL club, so wouldn't have a clue what they're talking about. Dmac 4 years, it'll pay off, everyone with a clue knows that. If it wasn't going to pay off, then it wouldn't have happened in the first place. Same with VB, next year will probably be one of his best. My view hasn't changed since it was provided to me by Mr Steven Trigg, we've got the best available talent in every position, on field and off, and everyone's doing a fantastic job.

Did I get it right this time Kristof ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
If the Suns can be labelled "Gary Coast" due to their reliance on him, we could be known as the "Noble Crows" given his ability to do a good job in all the roles he has had at our club.

One of the toughest roles I am.sure was that of taking charge of the Footy Department when Walshy died. He (and Roo) have made the right call in setting the coaching team up so our guys can get the best out of a bad situation.

He was made head of football last year. It created one of the more laughable situations of Triggy's regime. Noble reporting to Sando in the box on match day, to then have Sando report to him as head of football during the week.

SmegHead

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nobes is neither, he is just a bloke trying to do his job, sometimes under pressure and scrutiny, and IMO he does pretty well.

Tex Support

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Houston, UT Longhorns
One thing I have been told about Noble (and I rate him) - he can be very tough to deal with from a player contract/negotiation point of view.

Well, tough to deal with compared to other guys in his position at other clubs. Whether that's like a sharing of information thing, or being tough to get a meeting with etc, I'm not sure? Given who that opinion came from, I wasn't really sure what to make of it as a supporter...

I once had the AFC recruiting team in general described to me as: c***y.

whitey_1975

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Around the Bend
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
All OZ BBallerz,PPenguins,CBengals
I rate him highly. Trigg level highly. Doing some fantastic work behind the scenes. Like VB's captaincy. I'm sure he's mostly responsible for developing our worlds best practise football dept. Just a little more luck and I'm sure it'll start to turn around for us. It always makes me laugh that these keyboard heroes tee off on club employees when they have never worked for an AFL club, so wouldn't have a clue what they're talking about. Dmac 4 years, it'll pay off, everyone with a clue knows that. If it wasn't going to pay off, then it wouldn't have happened in the first place. Same with VB, next year will probably be one of his best. My view hasn't changed since it was provided to me by Mr Steven Trigg, we've got the best available talent in every position, on field and off, and everyone's doing a fantastic job.

Did I get it right this time Kristof ?
I see what u did there.

hellboy1975

All Australian
Sep 25, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well, it'd be distasteful Walsh, it's probably unfair to throw Campo in it at this stage, and Trigg has gone, so that leaves Noble I guess....

For what it's worth, I think Noble is doing just fine. Sure there's a few golden passes there (like there are in all clubs) but when you look at our list, it's hard to argue he's done bad job.

May 25, 2009
Back in S.A.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I'm mostly undecided on Noble, he's done a few good things, one of which that hasn't been mentioned here yet being the trade with GWS that landed us a pick in the mini draft, and if it wasn't for the meddling AFL vetoing the first trade proposal we might've even got that pick more cheaply. However he's also done some bad things like giving lengthy contracts to VB, Reilly and Mackay. Ultimately I think the main problem for us, looking from the outside, is that he's had so much on his plate that we can't tell with any certainty where his influence begins and ends, nor whether it has had a negative impact on his performance.

And on that last point I blame Trigg the Terrible for cutting costs to make the bottom line look better to compensate for his inability to grow the pie.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Good overall despite some blunders.

Given all our self-imposed failings like the draft sanctions, losing our highest paid player for nothing, getting pillaged by the start up teams more than any other club and also managing to lose a 500 career goals in waiting player like Gunston we're actually on the verge of finishing up ok.

Thanks to some shrewd draft selections by Rendell and Ogilvie, a bold decision on a coach (sacking Sando for Walsh), a strong development team (Stewart/Jonas) and getting rid of Trigg we've managed to steer through some difficult waters.

The last two key moments are coming up. We need (another) good coach appointment and to re-sign Dangerfield. Nail both of those and we're sweet.

I do feel for Noble in one way. Eg when we were going to front-end a bunch of contracts and roll forward the Tippett money to create a war chest. Obviously this was another lie from Trigg/Chapman. Despite our "war chest" we had to off-load Vince and delist Tambling just to afford Betts so our war chest amount was $0.00. We took the opportunity to pay minimum salary cap to minimise our financial losses, which left Noble hamstrung. Plus at one stage we had him doing multiple jobs rather than shelling out a few dollars to bring in decent support.

The only contracts restructured during that period were Reilly, van Berlo and Mackay. Hopefully VB and D-Mac be playing for petrol money next season and we actually will be able to have a crack at a big player in the off season.

Good coach + Dangerfield + a recruit + what we have now and we're bloody well placed.

*just another Trigg/Chapman vent. When Bailey was diagnosed with his illness we couldn't replace him partly because all the best development people are already tied up with clubs. Well... it took Fagan/Roo two days to find an ex-premiership coach to support the club this time in a time of need. Reckon it was more Trigg/Chapman refusing to look hard enough and not wanting to pay what it costs.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
*just another Trigg/Chapman vent. When Bailey was diagnosed with his illness we couldn't replace him partly because all the best development people are already tied up with clubs. Well... it took Fagan/Roo two days to find an ex-premiership coach to support the club this time in a time of need. Reckon it was more Trigg/Chapman refusing to look hard enough and not wanting to pay what it costs.

I think that was pure luck. Had Walsh not had that relationship with Worsefold or anyone I am not sure they would have found someone so quick. I think Bailey's issue was the club not doing anything out of respect for Bailey and his family. Kind of hamstrung. Professional Organisation yes but would have been smashed out of AFL footy for employing someone while he was alive. For all we know all the people the club wanted couldn't come or simply said no. Not surprising because our club stank professionally for several years.

I think now we have earned some massive respect as a professional organisation in the past month and I can see us attracting the better minds. Trigg though was a cancer and it was no doubt his involvement in the club that lead to our professional disintegration.

Last edited by a moderator:

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
My only criticism of noble relates to his time in charge of list management. For that particular role I felt he was too much of a "stand-up" guy. I thought we needed someone who was a tougher negotiator which sometimes required you to be the "bad guy".

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I think that was pure luck. Had Walsh not had that relationship with Worsefold or anyone I am not sure they would have found someone so quick. I think Bailey's issue was the club not doing anything out of respect for Bailey and his family. Kind of hamstrung. Professional Organisation yes but would have been smashed out of AFL footy for employing someone while he was alive. For all we know all the people the club wanted couldn't come or simply said no. Not surprising because our club stank professionally for several years.

I think now we have earned some massive respect as a professional organisation in the past month and I can see us attracting the better minds. Trigg though was a cancer and it was no doubt his involvement in the club that lead to our professional disintegration.
Nope

It was a professional decision made by competent people vs an unprofessional decision made by incompetent people

Back