Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we've got to a point where Warne is widely considered a hero but Goodes gets booed, you know that society has really lost its marbles.
Yeah nah.

Warne is a sporting hero and I consider him such because he represented my country with record-breaking skill. I would likely be more sympathetic to Goodes if he played for Collingwood and I consider that to be human nature. I don't think Warne is in any way idolized for his off-field exploits, although he is a breath of fresh air in the commentary box.

Yeah nah.

Warne is a sporting hero and I consider him such because he represented my country. I would likely be more sympathetic to Goodes if he played for Collingwood and I consider that to be human nature. I don't think Warne is in any way idolized for his off-field exploits, although he is a breath of fresh air in the commentary box.

I dont like Warne. I'm jealous of anyone who gets to have sex with Liz Hurley.

Oh f#@$ off!!

Ok... i'm a white male. I work with a highly diverse group of people in a big corporation. I am friends with all of them and show respect to all of them. I believe we should deal with the "boat" saga more compassionately and I donate money yearly to help ill affected children.

I boo Adam Goodes. I don't boo Cyril... I don't boo Eddie... I don't boo Yothu f@#$% Yindi.... I boo Adam!
I boo him because I don't agree with the way he has used his stature in society to incite racial tension. Yeah, maybe he's just getting the ball rolling but throwing imaginary spears at people and naming the face of racism a 13 year old girl is NOT the way to do it.

So, with all that said.... Am I racist? Am I a racist person who just doesn't know it?

read the whole article I found it interesting, intelligent and from a different perspective

Am I racist? Am I a racist person who just doesn't know it?
Over 90% of our actions are subconsciously motivated so that question can't really be answered

At a very base level we are in competition with every other organism on the planet and therefore at some level see everyone as a threat to survival

Over 90% of our actions are subconsciously motivated so that question really can't be answered
Interesting concept. So you can only answer with certainty if it's in the positive.

Interesting concept. So you can only answer with certainty if it's in the positive.
No that's screwed as well :p

I mention it merely in passing to remind that opinions mean very little and are sometimes not even held at deeper levels

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/07/31/time-referendum-packer-0

James Packer has called on Australia to recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in its constitution.

"I believe Australia cannot be truly reconciled without recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders," the billionaire businessman and chairman of Crown Resorts said on Friday.

"This issue is above politics."

Other than to stop booing Goodes, which most Australians can do, I'm still wondering what can be done about the whole issue. I like to see problems fixed, but we spend weeks arguing over whether it's racism or not. I would love to hear about solutions. I heard that an apology by the government would help things, but it evidently didnt. I heard that land rights would help things but it evidently hasn't. I treat all the people who I meet as equals. I have never abused anyone on racial grounds. I'd like to know how I can help fix this problem.

Just back from Ireland. I spoke to a Sydney woman who's been living in Donegal for years. She told me she went back to Sydney last year and found Australia a very different country - "very racist and cruel to refugees". And this thread's still going.

I am often regaled with the Irish love of Roma, Africans and Polish.

Don't forget them travellers.

:drunk:

What a load of shite.

The Irish haven't modified a racial vilification act since 1989 and there are no provisions to deal with hate crimes. Ignorance is bliss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other than to stop booing Goodes, which most Australians can do, I'm still wondering what can be done about the whole issue. I like to see problems fixed, but we spend weeks arguing over whether it's racism or not. I would love to hear about solutions. I heard that an apology by the government would help things, but it evidently didnt. I heard that land rights would help things but it evidently hasn't. I treat all the people who I meet as equals. I have never abused anyone on racial grounds. I'd like to know how I can help fix this problem.

You will never 100% Fix the Problem.

There will always be Racists around

I am often regaled with the Irish love of Roma, Africans and Polish.

Don't forget them travellers.

:drunk:

What a load of shite.

The Irish haven't modified a racial vilification act since 1989 and there are no provisions to deal with hate crimes. Ignorance is bliss.

well the irish are still busy hating people on religious grounds. There's only so many hours in the day...

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/07/31/time-referendum-packer-0

James Packer has called on Australia to recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in its constitution.

"I believe Australia cannot be truly reconciled without recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders," the billionaire businessman and chairman of Crown Resorts said on Friday.

"This issue is above politics."

Interesting he is saying it now when it’s such a Big Issue

You and I can't do anything Mark. We already give our tax money to help the problem and what happens to that?
A poster earlier mentioned that children are being taken off their parents at a higher rate now than back during the stolen generation. Well, why is that? Do I need to physically go to their houses and look after their children for them!?

Now, watch me be labelled racist.

At this stage, who gives a s**t.
I have lost so much interest in this sport this year.... Absolute farce. Bring on the NBA.

So I guess you won’t be on here or Watching footy for rest of the Season

You and I can't do anything Mark. We already give our tax money to help the problem and what happens to that?
A poster earlier mentioned that children are being taken off their parents at a higher rate now than back during the stolen generation. Well, why is that? Do I need to physically go to their houses and look after their children for them!?

Now, watch me be labelled racist.

Well I would love to hear from people who have solutions to these problems. Even if it doesn't solve the whole issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back