Yet another reason we should get rid of religions

otaku

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2002
48' 03"N 13' 51"E
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1798944,00.html

RELIGIOUS belief can cause damage to a society, contributing towards high murder rates, abortion, sexual promiscuity and suicide, according to research published today.

According to the study, belief in and worship of God are not only unnecessary for a healthy society but may actually contribute to social problems.

AndSmithMustScore

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Celtic Utopia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Boston ones.
otaku said:

RELIGIOUS belief can cause damage to a society, contributing towards high murder rates, abortion, sexual promiscuity and suicide, according to research published today.

According to the study, belief in and worship of God are not only unnecessary for a healthy society but may actually contribute to social problems.

Stupid article and study.

They are quoting figures on health issues/crimes , but how do they know what beliefs the people involved hold?.

Just because a nation is religious does not mean that the people commiting the crime or have the health issue are religious themselves.

Qsaint

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 6, 2004
Brisvegas
AFL Club
St Kilda
AndSmithMustScore said:

They are quoting figures on health issues/crimes , but how do they know what beliefs the people involved hold?.

Just because a nation is religious does not mean that the people commiting the crime or have the health issue are religious themselves.

Some of those issues wiith the US having nothing to do with religion but the US political agenda.

The rate of STD and other health issues, surely has something to do with the fact, they don't have any type of universal health cover.

Murder rates, maybe because anyone can buy a truckload of guns

Katrinan - Bush. a lack of planning and being prepared

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
AndSmithMustScore said:

Ah yes, getting rid of religion in the USSR was an unqualified success wasnt it?

There is a far more correlated variable with violent crime than religion but I dont see anyone mentioning that.

I am with ASMS, load of crxp.

Jan 16, 2005
paradise
AFL Club
Carlton
anyone who can't see that religion is a fundamental and neccessary aspect of society must either be totally devoid of common sense or just plain stupid.
religion is a crutch for millions of people world wide ..take away that crutch and we would have anarchy.

AndSmithMustScore

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Celtic Utopia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Boston ones.
Blues_Man said:
anyone who can't see that religion is a fundamental and neccessary aspect of society must either be totally devoid of common sense or just plain stupid.
religion is a crutch for millions of people world wide ..take away that crutch and we would have anarchy.

As a Christian i don't think it's an absolute neccesity to society that religion be a part of it, but more the common sense beliefs they teach be applied to society.

But because the world is very much a place of various faiths throughout the world its a given their beliefs will have an impact on the nations laws.

A person with faith will know something is wrong because of their religious instruction(if taught correctly).

A person with no faith will know something is wrong if they have been taught by someone of good character.

Religion doesn't give a person a mortgage on being "good" what it does offer perhaps over a person with no faith is a greater sense of guilt if they do something wrong, because not only do they have to answer to themselves but also to a greater spiritual authority.

A person with no faith only has to answer to their own conscience.

But in the end both have to answer to the law of the land.

Qsaint

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 6, 2004
Brisvegas
AFL Club
St Kilda
Blues_Man said:

Countries with the lowest religious participation like the Nordic countries are pretty stable

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Religion, I don't think that word means, what you think it means. My name is gibbsgamble, prepare to have your television formed beliefs die.

Is Australia a healthy society, if yes, what makes us healthy.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Is AndSmithMustScore still around in any guise these days? Such an entertaining character with his loony conservative views.

TheHeatleyStand

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2003
Iceland
AFL Club
Carlton
Is AndSmithMustScore still around in any guise these days? Such an entertaining character with his loony conservative views.
what's looney about conservative views

on what you're saying
everybody that walked the planet before neo liberalism was looney !

you need to think more deeply about what you're saying

according to you
you come from a massive conga line of looneys up until you came along

that's actually very funny!

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
If you hover over his/her user name it will show you their last activity, which was March 10th 2012 in his/her case.

Yeh. But I'm pretty sure that he's got another pseudonym these days.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

on what you're saying

according to you

on what you're saying

according to you

You need to read more carefully. I never said all conservative views are loony. A lot of his were.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Since my recent hip operation, I feel some sympathy with this view. I just wish some people would clean up after themselves. If you were to take away my crutch, I'd be legless, but hardly disappointed.

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
People have the right to believe whatever they want.

Right to believe vs free to believe - people in some cases do not get a choice

In Kung Fu Panda Master Shifu presents Po with a plateful of dumplings and tells him that he is "free to eat", but when Po tries to eat a dumpling Master Shifu uses his mad kung fu skills to prevent him from eating. Eventually Po <SPOILER ALERT> defeats Master Shifu yet hands back the last dumpling, telling Master Shifu that he is not hungry.

Po exercises his freedom to eat by choosing not to eat. The person who chooses not to believe is the person who is truly free to believe.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Right to believe vs free to believe - people in some cases do not get a choice

In Kung Fu Panda Master Shifu presents Po with a plateful of dumplings and tells him that he is "free to eat", but when Po tries to eat a dumpling Master Shifu uses his mad kung fu skills to prevent him from eating. Eventually Po <SPOILER ALERT> defeats Master Shifu yet hands back the last dumpling, telling Master Shifu that he is not hungry.

Po exercises his freedom to eat by choosing not to eat. The person who chooses not to believe is the person who is truly free to believe.

No one is starving anyone here.

I get your point about parental influence, but where do you want to stop & start with that?

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
No one is starving anyone here.

I get your point about parental influence, but where do you want to stop & start with that?

Well, when we are talking about, for example, Freedom of Speech, are people speaking freely when they are stating what they have been manipulated and engineered to state?

I would start with, for example, in an Election Campaign it is perfectly legal and fine for a Political Party to lie to people to get voted.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Well, when we are talking about, for example, Freedom of Speech, are people speaking freely when they are stating what they have been manipulated and engineered to state?

According to them? Yes.

The problem begins when contrary opinions are regulated by force.

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
According to them? Yes.

The problem begins when contrary opinions are regulated by force.

Yep, that's the problem with relativity, but a baby playing with a toy steering wheel within a vehicle is still not controlling the vehicle, so according to us, No?

We are not stating anything much different though, getting back to Political Parties deliberately lying to get votes, what if the original opinion was put there through force, for example, through the use of terror / manipulation / brainwashing / coercion / deception etc? Shouldn't there come a time when the people who should be responsible be held accountable? How come it is legal for people in a position of power to manipulate and deceive people?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Institutionalized religion will eventually die a natural death when science inevitably fills all the ever narrowing gaps that god can be shoehorned into.

Back