Athletics faces new doping crisis after ‘biggest leak’ of test results

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From The Guardian:

http://gu.com/p/4b755?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Athletics is facing another doping crisis after what is claimed to be the biggest ever leak of blood-test data revealed a third of medals, including 55 golds, in endurance events at Olympics and world championships between 2001 and 2012 were won by athletes who recorded suspicious tests.

The will of athletes to win will never fade, nor will the propensity to do whatever possible in order to win. The bit that stuck out for me is the percentage of endurance athletes - exactly the demographic that we as AFL fans must be hoping are clean in our small world. How depressing...

This is why I laugh at Olympians who whinge about the AFL's testing regime.

You ain't going to get caught if you have some very strong science behind you. Armstrong only ever turned in 1 positive test (pretty sure it was 1, and it was covered up) despite the amount of doping and tests he did.

It's why I stopped watching the Olympics after the Sydney games. And even then I had been losing interest since 1984. I just really hope we can keep some semblance of honesty within the afl. Not terribly confident however.

You ain't going to get caught if you have some very strong science behind you. Armstrong only ever turned in 1 positive test (pretty sure it was 1, and it was covered up) despite the amount of doping and tests he did.
I'm not sure the Olympics has a 3 strike drug rule does it?

Who wants to bet the sanctimonious whinging from the Australian Olympics athletes towards essendon will suddenly immediately cease?

There was a recent kerfuffle involving Russian athletics doping wasn't there?

Found it....http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/athletics/31485481

Wow, this new episode isn't what the IOC would be wishing for only a year out from Rio. More from ABC..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-02/russian-kenyan-athletes-face-new-doping-allegations/6666014

Athletics faces scandal as leaked drug test results prompt experts to compare sport to cycling 20 years ago

More than science with Armstrong. Sheer attention to detail. He knew when testers were in the area, he knew when to dive for the fridge and get a bag of last month's piss out, or last week's blood to put back in.

It's why I stopped watching the Olympics after the Sydney games. And even then I had been losing interest since 1984. I just really hope we can keep some semblance of honesty within the afl. Not terribly confident however.

If you are going to stop watching the Olympics because of PED's then you really should just give up on sport .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who wants to bet the sanctimonious whinging from the Australian Olympics athletes towards essendon will suddenly immediately cease?

This is possible.

Sadly the sanctimonious whinging from Essendon seems likely to be with us for a long time.

By the way. Which of the athletes in question have been found guilty of doping? From "suspicious" tests.

Some do. But don't try and tell me the overwhelming opinion of this board is that essendon are dirty rotten cheats but my team is clean

I agree some no doubt do and will retract my statement. I also believe that a lot of people are just naïve and have no idea how entrenched in sport doping actually is.

You just have to look at how many clubs Dank had associations within the AFL, NRL to see it is no different than the rest of world sport.

No, I think the attitude is that Essendon are dirty rotten cheats. About the rest, we don't know.
I just wish that the bombers fans would answer my question as to how did the Essendon club lost the paperwork that showed the substances the players were injected with were legal.

I just wish that the bombers fans would answer my question as to how did the Essendon club lost the paperwork that showed the substances the players were injected with were legal.
And how do you expect "bombers fans" to know exactly? Cos that's not just totally stupid or anything

Some do. But don't try and tell me the overwhelming opinion of this board is that essendon are dirty rotten cheats but my team is clean
I'm guilty of thinking that - only my team isn't in the AFL!

Probably only because they don't have enough $ anymore, to invest in a cutting edge supplements programs! ;)

Last edited:
Carl Lewis returned more positive drug tests than Ben Johnson, only difference one was American the other Canadian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back