How to kick a ball further

Remove this Banner Ad

doggies ftw

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey, Im only young but I cant get any distance on kicks and I would really like to know how to kick further, thanks in advance!

Hi I have the same problem but I've been told to make sure i follow through as far as i can and not just stab at the ball and practise doing this on the run which will also help with your run up for set shots.

How old are you and how far can you kick?

Not everyone needs to be able to kick the ball 50m, coaches would much prefer you have high accuracy kicking 35-40m.

I'm not sure how to explain it but kicking the ball further is lot about here you hit the ball on your foot and the ball, often I find when I try to belt the ball it doesn't go as far compared to when I try and time it right.

Its all about technique.
Not all about being able to get your leg as high as possible.

Just need to get the drop of the ball onto your foot and the timing correct.

i remember as a kid, learning how to kick from that video i got with that Daicos football. Forgot what it was called, but it worked!

• Banned
How old are you and how far can you kick?

Not everyone needs to be able to kick the ball 50m, coaches would much prefer you have high accuracy kicking 35-40m.

I'm not sure how to explain it but kicking the ball further is lot about here you hit the ball on your foot and the ball, often I find when I try to belt the ball it doesn't go as far compared to when I try and time it right.
Im nearly 14 but I can only kick like 30m to 35m

Micky O'Loughlin said a few weeks back that a pointed toe is important when going for distance. (I'm assuming he was talking about kicking from a set shot)

The most important thing to maximise your potential is flexibility in the leg. The further you can swing it the faster the leg can come through.

Also - muscle/weight will help but this part will come with time (maybe do some bounding squats, don't get on leg weights yet)

Timing also important but comes with practice

its all about tennis balls. we used them at training to help find the sweet spot of our foot/boot and it worked a treat. practice kicking with a tennis ball along with proper technique and u will gradually improve ur all round kicking ability.

if u think about the action of kicking its mostly quads and hammys, so improve flexibility of those muscles groups along with squats possibly to build up muscular strength and those and the surrounding areas..? anyone wonna add to that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if u think about the action of kicking its mostly quads and hammys, so improve flexibility of those muscles groups along with squats possibly to build up muscular strength and those and the surrounding areas..? anyone wonna add to that?
alright thanks

the most important area to stretch is your hip flexor, which is located beneath your hip bone.

Increasing flexibility in this area allows a greater "draw back" of the leg particularly whilst running.

Squats, jump squats, leg swings (back and forth like kicking, but maintain straight leg) with a LIGHT weight attached to your ankle and any core training (lower back and inner abdominal muscles) well help. None of these require any weights from the gym. You can tie a 1-1.5kg bag of sand/dirt to your ankle for the swings. But make sure you stretch, stretch and STRETCH

Work on your form, follow through with the leg and make sure you guide the footy (rather than dropping it) to your foot. Point toes and follow through. Make sure you aren't leaning backwards, if anything you want to be almost leaning forward slightly like when sprinting.

I am certain this will add to your distance

I'm only 12 and can kick a football 45 - 50 metres with a drop punt and no wind at all :p:p

However am also 178 cm tall and about 70 kg so it all balances out.

The things that are most important from my perspective are Ball drop, Timing, Following through and Size of leg swing.
The ball drop and Timing go together because if you get a good ball drop the timing will be easier and it will go relativley straight.
Following through is good because it allows maximum leg swing increasing kicking distance.

SO generally with a good dropped ball, well timed point of impact and a good swing of the leg with a follow through you should add at least another 5 - 10 metres.

I'm only 12 and can kick a football 45 - 50 metres with a drop punt and no wind at all :p:p

The things that are most important from my perspective are Ball drop, Timing, Following through and Size of leg swing.
The ball drop and Timing go together because if you get a good ball drop the timing will be easier and it will go relativley straight.
Following through is good because it allows maximum leg swing increasing kicking distance.

SO generally with a good dropped ball, well timed point of impact and a good swing of the leg with a follow through you should add at least another 5 - 10 metres.
Your 12 and 178cm and 70kgs? Wow dude if that's true your gonna be huge, I'm the same but 2cm taller and I'm 15. But back to your post you make some good points technique and ball drop is extremely important. I know people that don't have huge legs and they manage to get lots of distance. Also at your age you might use a different size ball to older players.

Im 13 and i can kick 50-55 meters and on the weekend i kicked 65 meters with the wind i can also kick 60 meters with a torp, does anyone reckon with age i will be able to kick the ball even further?

Looking back on this, what sort of 12 year old talks like this? I call bs :p

Micky O'Loughlin said a few weeks back that a pointed toe is important when going for distance. (I'm assuming he was talking about kicking from a set shot)
I never had any coaching. My kicks always went about 40m long and 40m high.
In my old age I have realised, by pointing my toe more at the target on the follow through I can get 50m by 30m. :)

If you are still having hassles get one of the older players to help you work on your kicking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back