Gym & Misc Member Profiles - Post yours!

Remove this Banner Ad

About 7/8.
When I said tone I meant to maintain instead of put on more muscle. The whole lower weights, more reps jazz.
Okay fair enough, thought you might have meant going into the 15-20 rep range. Although also, if you do 3-4 rep range youll be less likely to put on more muscle and more likely too maintain strength.

Okay fair enough, thought you might have meant going into the 15-20 rep range. Although also, if you do 3-4 rep range youll be less likely to put on more muscle and more likely too maintain strength.

How does that work? I've never heard of that before. Is their any real difference going 3-4 as opposed to what I said?

How does that work? I've never heard of that before. Is their any real difference going 3-4 as opposed to what I said?

Well basically, in a textbook way, 1-5 reps is pure strength work, 8-12 is hypertrophy (muscle building) and 13+ is strength endurance. Obviously everyone is a bit different to the way they react to different work, and there is some overlap but this is the way it works. By doing a low amount of reps, you'll increase your strength more, but due to there not being a significant amount of 'time under tension', there isn't a massive amount of muscle growth. However, with low reps you'll tend to burn less calories and there isn't much volume so you're not really doing as much work, so doing a mix of high and low reps is probably best.

I'm at 51kg!! Another 2 more kgs to lose before I'll be overjoyed. Obviously increased HITT and cardio, started boxing too.
I've dropped calorie intake (pretty much to like 1000 calories a day - I know how unhealthy that is but stressed from finals anyway so can't stomach much.)
Doing more core work as well, sit-ups on the decline bench, side planks, weighted crunches that kind of jazz.
Scaling back on the arms too, thinking I'll keep my weights as they are and just increase the reps to tone. Don't really need to put on more muscle.

Dropping to low calories isn't ideal, are you trying to hit 49kg for a certain reason or just to achieve that weight?

Firstly one you hit 49kg how are you going to maintain it on 1000 calories. Secondly eating so little will really slow down your metabolism, don't under estimate the importance of a refeed. Secondly are you measuring your food? It will be really easy to over eat when only consuming 1000 calories per day.

As for all the sit ups, they are seriously overrated for abs. The don't directly reduce the fat stores around the stomach, if anything they will increas your stomach size becuase by putting them through resistance the muscle response just like all other muscles is to repair and grow. if you want ABS diet diet diet, once you have got to your level on bodyfat required to see ABS and you don't have them, that's when it is time to work them and i would say only 3-4 exercises 8-15 reps, and your typical crunch is really in-effective your legs/hip flexors do most of the work.

Lastly don't worry about lifting heavy weights and getting to muscly, you won't becuase of females natural low levels of testerone. A heavy weight work out will burn more calories than 45 mins of a sit up/core circuit will. More lean muscle burns more calories to.

Well basically, in a textbook way, 1-5 reps is pure strength work, 8-12 is hypertrophy (muscle building) and 13+ is strength endurance. Obviously everyone is a bit different to the way they react to different work, and there is some overlap but this is the way it works. By doing a low amount of reps, you'll increase your strength more, but due to there not being a significant amount of 'time under tension', there isn't a massive amount of muscle growth. However, with low reps you'll tend to burn less calories and there isn't much volume so you're not really doing as much work, so doing a mix of high and low reps is probably best.

Not so correct, most of the studies i have read (don't have any on hand) there is no real difference of muscle growth whether you do 1-5 reps of 8-12 reps, the 8-12 range you may get slightly more growth due to more volume, but it is very minimal. But in the 1-5 range you will become stronger.

So all done and dusted for my first comp. I placed 4th out of 7th in the novice, i was happy with that, brought in great condition but my posing and stage presence is horrible, but i don't mind it was always about the effort of getting up there. I had a couple of big steaks, sweet potoato and some more oat pancakes. Back on track this morning to get ready for my second and last comp on Saturday,

Is that white guy taking the piss?

haha go easy, from what i could tell he signed up last minute to do it with his nephew the younger bloke to his right.

So which of those guys won? I'm no expert when it comes to judging men's physiques but none of them look significantly better than yours from what I can tell.

I hope this makes sense....

Basically the guy in the middle won, the three to his right were 7th 6th and 5th in that order. The bloke to the left of the middle (tattoo on his chest) came 2nd, i came fourth and the bloke to my left (really dark tan) came 3rd.

Thanks......judging is 40% physique 60% stage presence, so smiling posing, playing up to the great etc etc which is far far from my forte!

Another update, 6 days out now from my INBA comp on Sunday.

I weighed in Saturday morning at 79.2kg, I was really suprised at my weight dropping another 1kg but happy none the less, i can hold calories steady this week. The plan is from today to Wednesday, drops carbs a little more, Thursday i will start my carb up! CARBS glorious CARBS!

Macros;
Protein 280g
Fats 50g
Carbs 70g
Calories 1850

Training this week is;
Pull workout tonight
Push workout tomorrow night
Legs Wednesday

Working as hard as i can for around 60 mins, Thursday and Friday i am reducing the weights (60-80%) and duration 35-45mins, two upper body circuit type workouts. Saturday i will rest up. The fun starts now, shaving, tanning etc.

Below is a pic from Saturday morning.

Awesome bro.. When you start drying out your V will really start to expose

We see alot of members offering advice but who are these people? I think the regular members on this board should provide a little information on themselves so we know who we are getting advice from and who we are talking to, also to learn more about the guys here. Ill go first.

Height: 187
Weight: 85
Body type: Somewhere between ecto and meso
Qualifications in the industry: none

Supplements: currently using: WPC, maltodextrin, creatine, jack3d (every now and then)

Diet: Most of my protein comes in the way of food, tuna, chicken, steak, eggs and cottage cheese. I also normally get approx 5 and 2 serves of veg and fruit per day. Ive recently started eating alot more and noticed a big difference in muscle gain.

Goals: Build muscle, reach 90kg (200 pounds) with about 10% bodyfat
Achievements so far: Reduced body fat to approx 12% and added roughly 10kg muscle in 2 years

Sport played: Football
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EMPLOYMENT-SOCIAL-ROLE POSITIONS: 1943-2015

2010-2015-Retired and on a pension in George Town, Tasmania

1999-2009-Writer & Author, Poet & Publisher, Editor & Researcher. Retired Teacher & Lecturer, Tutor & Adult Educator, Taxi-Driver & Ice-Cream Salesman, George Town Tasmania Australia

2002-2005-Program Presenter City Park Radio Launceston

1999-2004-Tutor &/or President George Town School for Seniors Inc

---ABOVE THIS LINE ARE MY YEARS IN RETIREMENT---------

1988-1999 -Lecturer in General Studies & Human Services West Australian Department of Training

1986-1987 -Acting Lecturer in Management Studies & Co-ordinator of Further Education Unit at Hedland College in South Hedland WA

1982-1985 -Adult Educator Open College of Tafe Katherine NT

1981 -Maintenance Scheduler Renison Bell Zeehan Tasmania

1980-Unemployed due to illness and recovery

1979-Editor External Studies Unit Tasmanian CAE; Youth Worker Resource Centre Association; Lecturer in Organizational Behaviour Tasmanian CAE; Radio Journalist ABC---all in Launceston Tasmania

1976-1978 -Lecturer in Social Sciences & Humanities Ballarat CAE Ballarat, Victoria

1975 - Lecturer in Behavioural Studies Whitehorse Technical College, Box Hill Victoria

1974 -Senior Tutor in Education Studies Tasmanian CAE Launceston, Tasmania

1972-1973 -High School Teacher South Australian Education Dept.

1971-Primary School Teacher Whyalla South Australia

----ABOVE THIS LINE ARE MY YEARS IN AUSTRALIA---- CANADA----BELOW----

1969-1971 Primary School Teacher Prince Edward County Board of Education Picton Ontario Canada

1969-Systems Analyst Bad Boy Co Ltd Toronto Ontario

1967-68 -Community Teacher Department of Indian Affairs & Northern Development Frobisher Bay NWT Canada

1950-67 -Summer jobs-1 to 4 months each- from grade 1 to the end of university

1949-1967 - Attended 2 primary schools, 2 high schools and 2 universities in Canada: McMaster Uni-1963-1966, Windsor Teachers’ College-1966/7

1944-1963 -Childhood(1944-57) and adolescence(1957-63) in and around Hamilton Ontario

1943 to 1944-Conception in October 1943 to birth in July 1944 in Hamilton Ontario

2. SOME SOCIO-BIO-DATA TO 2015

B.A., B. Ed., and M.A.(Qual); partly completed: 4 Graduate Diplomas, 1 Advanced Diploma, and 1 Diploma, and 1 completed Certificate. I have been married twice for a total of 48 years. My second wife is a Tasmanian, aged 68. We’ve had one child: age 38. I have two step-children: ages: 49 and 44, three step-grandchildren, ages 21, 19 and 4, as well as one grandchild age 3. All of the above applies in January 2015. I am 70, am a Canadian who moved to Australia in 1971 and have written several books--all available on the internet.

I retired from full-time teaching in 1999, part-time teaching in 2003 and volunteer teaching/work in 2005 after 32 years in classrooms as a teacher and another 18 as a student. In addition, I have been a member of the Baha’i Faith for 56 years. Bio-data: 6ft, 235 lbs, eyes-brown/hair-grey, Caucasian.

My website is found at: http://www.ronpriceepoch.com/ You can also go to any search engine and type: Ron Price followed by any one of a number of words in addition to: poetry, forums, religion, literature, history, bipolar disorder, psychology, sociology, philosophy, inter alia, to access my writing________________________

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I may as well do a quick photographic update for my own sake. Arms look deceptively bulky but I am flexing. They look normal/slim in my avatar though. Probably flattering light :p

View attachment 136469

Also legs. I don't do much machine work on legs (barring press) - only the exercises that I can do with free weights like lunges etc. I don't want to work my legs much at all - general running/walking etc is enough for me. Still, there's some cute calves coming through :)

View attachment 136468

Should start squatting.

Why's that?
I do squats, but I don't feel an urge to increase my weight numbers - I'm personally not a fan of that look.

I think for either strength training or physique training, the squat > leg press. Squats and lunges using the right weight and reps aren't going to give you a powerlifting arse (assume that's the look you don't want) and will be much more beneficial than the leg press. Just my two cents.

Why's that?
I do squats, but I don't feel an urge to increase my weight numbers - I'm personally not a fan of that look.

Increase the reps with the same weight.

Don't worry about being to bulky or building to much muscle, females naturally lower testosterone levels make it quite hard to build significant lean muscle, hell guys even have enough trouble despite the higher levels of testosterone. I would also say don't under estimate a solid weighted leg workout and the amount of calories it can burn as opposed to going for a jog. But i always say do what you enjoy when it comes to exercise, its the key to staying motivated.

Well its been 4 weeks since my comp. I am glad i did the comps, but glad they are over, i think i will compete again next year, the majority of comps in Victoria are in the first half of the year so i could look at doing a few comps in the first half of the year. One of things i will change going into next year, is to remain leaner, instead of dieting for 20 weeks and dropping 18 kgs, i will try and remain leanish with only needing to diet for 10-12 weeks and drop 8-10kgs.

So currently i am weighing in around 85-86kg. Fair to say post comp, i gorged a fair bit, the week after i was in Alice for a family holiday and zero f@*ks where given to what i ate. But since i returned home i've got back into my routine of regular meals, training and i am back playing footy again which is an enjoyable form of cardio.

Eating around 3000 calories a day (spread over 5 meals a day);
250g protein
70g fat
345g carb

Saturday nights i will a cheat meal so burger and chips plus ice cream, eat till i'm full/satisfied but not bursting at the seems.

Training wise, i've been mixing my rep ranges from week to week. I've since bought Neil Hill's Y3T edition 2 which i am currently reading. Post footy season i will give this a run for 12 weeks in lead up to Christmas. Post footy season i will do twice a day for 4 weeks.

My training looks like this;

Monday - Back/triceps
Tuesday - Legs/shoudlers
Wednesday - chest
Thursday - back/legs
Friday - Biceps/triceps/shoulders
Saturday - footy
Sunday - chest/biceps

(5 exercises for back/legs/chest on a given day. 3 exercises for shoulders/arms) Calves are done whenever i have a shorter workout but at least twice a week)

Week one - 3 sets x 15-25 reps
Week two - 4 sets x 8-12 reps
Week three - 5 sets x 3-5 reps

I have found i've really enjoyed the 15-25 rep range, i think next weeks cycle i will change the rep ranges slightly.

Week one - 3 sets x 25-40
Week two - 4 sets x 12-18
Week three - 5 sets 6-10

Looking to maintain body weight around 83-84kg through footy season. When i train twice a day i will start off on 4000 calories a day with the intention to bulk up, then when i'm doing Y3T for 12 weeks and cut leading into summer which i try and remain lean through Christmas and be 10 weeks of contest shape for the new year.

Because to achieve more and of about dat ass Vonn.

You look fantastic and you're in great shape, but having a bit of a butt wouldn't be a bad thing.
If vonn wanted a behind without bulking the legs then Hip thrusts would be a better choice then squats. She's stalking the Sydney players not planning to join them :D She looks fine though.

111kg....

Watch this space...kilos will be dropping quickly

It's been a while, so just a little progress pic from nearly 3 years ago to last week, I've put on 11kg since the first pic and it is also a reminder to myself to not let the scales dictate how I feel about my body. I may be 11kg heavier but heck I feel so much better about myself.

After not being able to do legs for 6 months I started all over again about 16 weeks ago, my back squat is back up to 72.5kg x 5 and I did 300kg x 8 on the leg press last week.

Starting a cut at the moment and hoping to get to about 59kg, I really don't want to lose any muscle.

11095221_10153645353920719_3301511161891139605_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back