'BT' and Darcy: The Worst Commentary Team in History?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I like BT.

I always get a laugh out of nicknames like Jack "the package" stringer and ben "big boner" brown
You get a laugh out of the 25th time in a game? You're easily amused.
Darcy (and Ling) is pissing me off more than usual lately. Anyone with the name Jake is automatically changed to Jakey...every single time.

Vapor

All Australian
Aug 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

Loved BT's commentating for this moment during the Carlton game. Would have been even better if he had realised that the kid was wearing Casboult's 41 on this back of his Guernsey too. Funnily enough the kid's name is also Levi

The worst one is 'poppy' when referring to Puopolo. I think it's only Bruce that says it but ugh makes me cringe every time.
It's weird. I hate BT commentating on TV, but last Sunday I had to drive for three hours and had MMM on in the car and for radio, BT wasn't bad. Complete cluster*, but it was tolerable.
For TV, the radio style bullshit doesn't work. It actually makes me turn the sound off.

Pino

Team Captain
Apr 19, 2005
Panamá
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
It's weird. I hate BT commentating on TV, but last Sunday I had to drive for three hours and had MMM on in the car and for radio, BT wasn't bad. Complete cluster****, but it was tolerable.
For TV, the radio style bullshit doesn't work. It actually makes me turn the sound off.

I really find BT and Darcy annoying on TV. However, like Rex Hunt on radio, it is excruciating when you are watching / listening to your team play.

I reckon Richo is underrated at what he does and he is rewarded from the players. He should get promoted. I wonder how the commentators are assessed as the mistakes BT & D make weekly, compounded by the finger-suck analysis that borders on some type of superstition is simply incredible.

As a Hawks fan, the commentators for our games so incredibly full of hyperbole and sensationalism, that you may think you once again fell asleep in front of the TV and your punishment is torture by infomercial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Highlight from the Cats game on Sat:
>Shot of Rioli stretching his groin
>BT - "Wowee is Rioli injured? Thids would be a massive story if he is. MASSIVE"
>BT repeats himself as Rioli is massaged on the bench
>Darcy shouts something because SJ has the ball
>BT repeats himself again
>Darcy remind everyone how Rioli doesn't need many possessions to be effective
>Ling speaks for 30 seconds on how Hawthorn really should take the critically injured Rioli off for the rest of the game
>BT - "So what do you think Lingy? Should Hawthorn put him on ice?"
>Ling repeats himself, with a comically over-somber tone.
>
>Cyril runs back on. Kicks two more goals.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There was also a 2/3 minute period that summed the team up perfectly. BT was banging on about something to do with Richo having a jibe and SJ and it turns out Richo not having any handpasses ( :eek: ) in his 250th. BT had been saving up this gem and had clearly lost interest in the game.

Not one play was called for about 3 minutes while this forced 'banter' was being fumbled out aside from Darcy jumping in whenever it went near Rioli or SJ.

Summed them all up beautifully, you've just gotta laugh really.

Last edited:

Special Agent Utah

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls/Bears Texas Rangers
Darcy is embarrassing, he just isn't up to commentating the game, that's the fact.

Watching the replay now and it is painful.

"Wow he took on Cyril kicking out, nobody can do that and get away with it, the siren goes he might have dodged a bullet there"

Ah Darc, he ran around him and did get away with it, what happens up the field isn't on Thurlow.

He makes too many mistakes, he seems rushed. Needs to be looked at by 7

Sedat!

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Highlight from the Cats game on Sat:
>Shot of Rioli stretching his groin
>BT - "Wowee is Rioli injured? Thids would be a massive story if he is. MASSIVE"
>BT repeats himself as Rioli is massaged on the bench
>Darcy shouts something because SJ has the ball
>BT repeats himself again
>Darcy remind everyone how Rioli doesn't need many possessions to be effective
>Ling speaks for 30 seconds on how Hawthorn really should take the critically injured Rioli off for the rest of the game
>BT - "So what do you think Lingy? Should Hawthorn put him on ice?"
>Ling repeats himself, with a comically over-somber tone.
>
>Cyril runs back on. Kicks two more goals.
The above monologue neatly encapsulates why Channel 7 are a disgrace to the game and should be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. And the BT/Darcy duo, with either meaningless or obvious insights from Ling, is the worst of a wretched bunch. Channel 7 are the masters at ruining reputations - they are fast turning Richo from a class act into another would-be comedian for whom banter is of far more importance than calling/observing the play with the barest modicum of accuracy.

nooblet

Team Captain
Jul 5, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
naitanui's mark was described by darcy as being 'from 4 deep' despite it being a 2 on 1 contest.

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
What on earth is going on with BT? He's worse than ever with his over the top commentary and constant yelling. Does he think he's popular by constantly yelling and making pronouncing players names in a "humourous' way? It's bordering on being cringeworthy now.

Darcy always sounds scared to commentate! He's out of his depth in his caper and is better off doing the special comments rather than play-by-play commentary.

jackdanielz3

Senior List
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Maybe I am slightly *ed but I really like BT and don't mind Darcy.

I have no words for how much I hate basil and hamish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back