FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Barry Breen looks like Eric Roberts. Has aged quite well. Actually looks better than when he was playing.

Will be watching that on Monday.

Surely his stint as I think Sydney Swans' CEO will get a mention.

One thing that may surprise some is that Breen's got Twitter.

Brad Hardie would be an interesting one. Van Der Haar. Andrew Jarman. Bernie Quinlan. Matthew Rendell (I haven't watched it religiously, so some of those may have already been done)

I'd be interested in any of the old WAFL/SANFL superstars who had brief (or nil) careers in the old VFL.

I remember watching the Simon Madden one recently. I was pretty surprised that they didn't bring up the scandal of him wearing Blades and painting three stripes on them, to try to pass them off as Adidas boots. I remember that being front page news when I was a kid and being worried that he was going to go to jail, because he was my favourite opposition player.

I'm sure it's beneath him, but I was thinking what a joy it would be to have him as a regular in the footy media. Genuinely funny, obviously an outstanding football brain, humble (but not overly so) given his career achievements, refreshingly honest, willing to be critical of himself (which follows that he would be willing to accept alternative opinions). Ticks so many boxes...

John Northey had an interesting career but it would come down to how much he was prepared to talk about it. Dont remember him being too talkative in his coaching days. Id be suprised if he wasnt approached.

Thought Brad Hardie would jump at an invite and he would be an obvious one for this type of show.

I had no idea Breen played 300 games, for some reason I'd always assumed that he had a Ted Hopkins-style Grand Final cameo and that was about it. I do recall him being in charge of Tassie football at one point too.

I had no idea he was a 6'3" CHF, or that he was good enough to represent Victoria as a FB, or that he captained St Kilda and was such a major figure at the club. For some reason I just thought he was an average vanilla 6'0" flanker type, who got to the games total he did just through loyalty and lack of other options (St Kilda had a massive turnover of players and were generally pretty terrible on-field from the mid-'70s onwards).

I had no idea he was a 6'3" CHF, or that he was good enough to represent Victoria as a FB, or that he captained St Kilda and was such a major figure at the club. For some reason I just thought he was an average vanilla 6'0" flanker type, who got to the games total he did just through loyalty and lack of other options (St Kilda had a massive turnover of players and were generally pretty terrible on-field from the mid-'70s onwards).

The internet is your friend - Lots of places where you can interesting footy information.

His career was a little bit before my time, and I guess I'd just never really cared to do much research on him beyond seeing his name on all-time games played lists.

I really recommend getting this book (or one from previous years), it's great to open up to a random page every now and again and work your way through it.

51kE4vRJY9L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Brad Hardie would be an interesting one. Van Der Haar. Andrew Jarman. Bernie Quinlan. Matthew Rendell (I haven't watched it religiously, so some of those may have already been done)

Boooooooooooo

Easily the most informative and interesting AFL program on TV. Only one episode so far (great strike rate) that didn't interest me. The young Swans Player (name escapes me) going through knee injuries. The king of that would be young Menzel.

All in all its quality viewing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he could just lure Garry Ablett senior, now that would make for good viewing and should be 2hrs worth.
He won't do a Gaz Snr one. We bumped into Mike after the Geelong game last weekend (he was with Brian Cook at the pub the officials go to after the game)
Asked him if he would do Ablett Snr and he said - no point, he wouldn't talk.. every question would be answered with a nod or a 'ohh yeah'

Last edited:
I think we know enough about the reclusive types to know there's no real point getting them on this type of show, for the exact reason mentioned above - Mike would serve him up powder puff questions, ignoring Alicia Horan, ignoring the walkouts, ignoring the weird religious stuff... and you'd still get nothing out of him.

It reminds me a little bit of Plugger on Triple M a few weeks ago. He hasn't really spoken to the media since Tony Jones pissed him off - and when they got him on the radio, they asked him about the weather out on the farm.

Sometimes it's just better to hear others talk about them...

We did also ask Mike about the Bluey McGrath one where he didn't ask the question about why Paul Chapman was 'off' when they were in Bali

He said it was around the anniversary of his brothers death, but then said we were right and he should have asked the question.

Also in person he is a genuinely good bloke, was happy to have photos taken with people and very genuine... which isn't a real suprise

also he had a massive mole on mark on his forehead which obviously gets covered with makeup for TV as I had never noticed it before (or it was a fresh bump)

Easily the most informative and interesting AFL program on TV. Only one episode so far (great strike rate) that didn't interest me. The young Swans Player (name escapes me) going through knee injuries. The king of that would be young Menzel.

All in all its quality viewing.

Beau Vernon this week. Good luck to him, but not really interested in him as an Open Mike guest. Don't reckon it's the right forum. Mike's good because he's forgotten more about the ex-AFL stars that he interviews than we'll ever know.

Beau Vernon this week. Good luck to him, but not really interested in him as an Open Mike guest. Don't reckon it's the right forum. Mike's good because he's forgotten more about the ex-AFL stars that he interviews than we'll ever know.

Agree. For me I watch the program to get some rumours/myths clarified.

We did also ask Mike about the Bluey McGrath one where he didn't ask the question about why Paul Chapman was 'off' when they were in Bali

He said it was around the anniversary of his brothers death, but then said we were right and he should have asked the question.

It's no secret the Chapman in Bali story,but perhaps Bluey had forgotten the reason.

Gary Ablett Snr.
Tony Lockett
Allen Jakovich
Robbie Muir
Mark Jackson
Darren Wheildon
Jeff Farmer
Richard Osbourne
Paul Medhurst
John Northey
Darryl White
Fred Cook
Rick Davies
Mick McGuane
Grenville Dietrich

My favourite one so far is still Doug Hawkins.
They had Jeff Farmer on SEN's Jesaulenko you beauty a few weeks ago.

Good interview and he is very well spoken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back