Super Rugby 2015 Super Rugby discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

There's one underneath Graham as we speak; Nick Stiles.

No better than Graham. Graham at least is regarded and was when he was first appointed. He had one poor season. Give him a chance.

The fans have no say in who is coach, but they have a say in the success of the club. Rugby is struggling in Queensland and has been since 2012. Graham's appointment was never a popular one and he's completely destroyed Link's legacy, only for him to be rewarded for it. Watch the crowds dwindle when even the most hardcore of fans refuse to turn up.

Horwill, Genia, and Cooper are all gone. Our three strongest players.

What the **** is Graham going to do? He's completely clueless. Had no idea at the Force and still has no idea at the Reds.

Only reason he has a job is because he and Jim Carmichael suck each other's dicks ten times a week.

The whole Reds board needs to go, the QRU needs a kick up the arse, and Graham needs to be exiled to the arctic.

**** I'm angry.

Graham should get an opportunity to build the side post those 3 players...and if Horwill is one of your better players dear oh dear, the actual side is the problem, not the coach.

A new coach deserves 2 years. If Graham has another poor year, move him on, but give him a fair chance.

do you even rugby

You are wanting to change a coach for the sake of it...just because the fans don't like him. Cheika wasn't the most popular choice when he was appointed to the Waratahs.

You are wanting to change a coach for the sake of it...just because the fans don't like him. Cheika wasn't the most popular choice when he was appointed to the Waratahs.
No I'm not. I'm saying he was never a popular choice because he's a ******* s**t coach. It's not as if he lost favour like Hird, Voss, Malthouse, etc. The fact that an ordinary coach was poached after a terrible record at another club says a lot about a board whose motto is quite literally 'jobs for the boys'.

I'm not trying to say that supporter popularity is the be all and end all - I'm merely pointing out how heavily this will impact on not only QLD rugby, but Australian rugby in general.

Sad days ahead.

In good news though, the other three east coast teams are exciting as all * at the moment. I'll be watching the Rebels quite closely next year I think. I was disillusioned enough during the past season, but now even more so. Losing Cooper, Genia, Horwill AND Thompson, then retaining ******* Graham just tops it off.

I'll be excited to see Thompson tear it up in Melbourne though!

A new coach deserves 2 years. If Graham has another poor year, move him on, but give him a fair chance.

He has had more than 2 years. The Reds had injury problems this year but he simply hasn't got the best out of his players. Compare how Horwill has played for the Wallabies to the Reds for an example.

This is his coaching record over the last 5 years:
Western Force - 7 wins from 24 matches
Queensland Reds - 9 wins from 32 matches

It's just baffling he got re-appointed. They apparently had 20 applicants for the role. They could have appointed Matt O'Connor for example, who coached Leinster to a Pro 12 title a couple of years ago. Or they could have selected an up and comer like Stiles. I think the Reds fans would have been happy with pretty much anyone else.

Pissing off the fans can take ages to repair. The Waratahs have shown that.

Last edited:
Not involved with the Reds anymore, but from my time there RG was pretty well regarded as a coach (2IC) by both the players and admin. I'm not entirely surprised that he's been retained.

Personally, I think RG lacks motivational and communication skills - two key traits required as a senior coach. He ticks all the other boxes and I don't think you'll find a more astute rugby mind. He's a brilliant assistant coach, a dud head coach.

Not involved with the Reds anymore, but from my time there RG was pretty well regarded as a coach (2IC) by both the players and admin. I'm not entirely surprised that he's been retained.

Personally, I think RG lacks motivational and communication skills - two key traits required as a senior coach. He ticks all the other boxes and I don't think you'll find a more astute rugby mind. He's a brilliant assistant coach, a dud head coach.
From what I've heard of last season he certainly isn't regarded by the players anymore.

Has some close friends on the board though. :rolleyes:

From what I've heard of last season he certainly isn't regarded by the players anymore.

Has some close friends on the board though. :rolleyes:

As I said, when I left at the Reds at the end of 2013 RG had a pretty good rapport with the players. I've heard rumblings since then, but nothing too solid.

I can certainly understand why the Reds have decided to give RG a second chance though. I think the coaches who were available weren't really of a high standard - the exception being Matt O'Connor, but he himself has had problems with players and fans in Ireland. Matt Taylor and Nick Stiles get a lot of mentions but RG has shown far more than both as an assistant. Shifting management responsibilities to Dan Herbert is a good move and gives RG the freedom to coach.

I'm probably the only person who thinks that the Reds board has actually come to very logically sound decision.

As I said, when I left at the Reds at the end of 2013 RG had a pretty good rapport with the players. I've heard rumblings since then, but nothing too solid.

I can certainly understand why the Reds have decided to give RG a second chance though. I think the coaches who were available weren't really of a high standard - the exception being Matt O'Connor, but he himself has had problems with players and fans in Ireland. Matt Taylor and Nick Stiles get a lot of mentions but RG has shown far more than both as an assistant. Shifting management responsibilities to Dan Herbert is a good move and gives RG the freedom to coach.

I'm probably the only person who thinks that the Reds board has actually come to very logically sound decision.

Probably not that unbelievable considering you know the people and parts at play.

The fact they didn't even interview any other candidates is hugely frustrating perhaps there were no better candidates out there but given how woeful RG record is to not interview anyone else is simply madness.

I think our crowds dropped 7K last season from the year before what I've seen across social media and various forums pretty safe to say that will continue for next season. To think the QRU kicked up such a stink over the 60K the Roar owed, I wonder how much they'll lose after todays announcement.

To think we all thought the dark days of the early to mid 00's were over. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it is a logically sound decision. Graham could be a technical rugby genius and liked by everyone at the club, but ultimately what counts is results. Beyond that it's the effect on the fan base that is the most significant thing. It seems pretty clear that the Reds are going to lose a lot of members over this. The fans wanted change and a fresh start and they feel alienated by the decision. Jim Carmichael's stock has really fallen a lot over the last couple of years and this puts more pressure on him IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back