Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
According to Fox Sports and a few other news outlet, Harley Bennell (Gold Coast) has been charged with disorderly conduct at a nightclub during the weekend. Appears likely to have played his last game for the Suns.
Harley is only 23, from WA and is a deadset gun- that is when he plays. Any thoughts on whether Freo should consider picking him up?

MadDocker

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Get him over while he's cheap(ish). Absolute weapon. If he can get a talking to by Walters and get his head into it properly, could be one of the leagues best.

MadDocker

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Being in a professional environment with a recent history of not putting up with rubbish and kicking players either back to WAFL or out entirely might help.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
It only takes one bad egg... If that traumatic experience of being outed on national media and being on the edge of free fall hasn't disuaded him from his errant ways, hard to see what can.

The Suns seem to have a very ordinary culture in that regard.

Ablett may be a fantastic leader by example on the field, but he doesn't strike me as all that influential off it. They've basically thrown a bunch of kids into one of the party capitals of Australia with very little leadership and a foundation coach straight from the 'boys will be boys' eagles era. In hindsight it's easy to see why some issues have emerged.

I'd be willing to take a shot on him.

If;
Gold Coast are going to offer him up for cheaper than his value (which is a top ten pick if he is at his ability so far)
He will buy into another team's culture
He will not be associated with the wrong crowd here again
Will put himself to work to earn respect

Then we could land the best trade for a long, long time.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Schulz and Bennell and go for the 2016 flag :thumbsu:

Add a Mitch Brown or Shoenmaker if McPharlin\Pav retire.

Perhaps get Walters and\or Johnson to have a chat with him and see what they think.

Banker

Club Legend
May 17, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Welcome to FREO Harley.

I think he is like Cousins, can continue to play football even though off field party animal.

Banker

Club Legend
May 17, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wasn't he in trouble before being drafted when he lived in mandurah? He could easily cause more trouble for us than he did for the suns

What exactly are his 'troubles'?

The guy got unfair treatment from the media, when 11 other team mates were snorting cocaine as well. Sure its his fault for letting other take pictures of him, but I think if AFL clubs give players who bash others a 2nd chance Harley deserves one as well.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would definitely take him. As much as we need KPP, if we have any chance at someone as good as Bennell, then take it. Have been hoping we'd get him ever since his off-field antics have blown up in the media.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Definitely worth the risk imo. I'm not reading anymore into this latest nightclub incident than I have to. Stuff like that can easily be blown out of proportion.

The only problem is I don't think we could afford him in a trade and I think he requested a move to the Hawks anyway.

Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Hell yeah. There is no reason to think that he could not hold down full forward as well. He is a jet. With our ruck stocks and players on the fringe, and the certain retirement of Pavlich, we will have the resources.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
The Suns seem to have a very ordinary culture in that regard.

Ablett may be a fantastic leader by example on the field, but he doesn't strike me as all that influential off it. They've basically thrown a bunch of kids into one of the party capitals of Australia with very little leadership and a foundation coach straight from the 'boys will be boys' eagles era. In hindsight it's easy to see why some issues have emerged.

I'd be willing to take a shot on him.
None of it is Bluey's fault and he's most unfairly sacked coach in history, just ask any drooling Eagles' fanboy.

Back