2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Done and dusted for the 3rds footy season. Fair effort boys, 83 pages of forum banter, slander, hair pulling, chest beating, pissing in pockets and lots of accusations flying. Great stuff, why the hell shouldn't ya, it's an internet forum...would be rude not to.

I'm getting out my red pen for marking now (not enough for everyone sorry)
Kedron A+ : sure you can be favourites but ya still gotta do the work and get the results. Credit to them, came, saw, conquered. Think about what they have to compete with. Any guns have the option of Wilston Grange a stones throw away. Not that far on the bus over to Mott St for Div 2 action for a club in a purple patch. Or you can shoot up Gympie to Hornets and bask in the ambience of the swanky club. Or course Pine Rivers and Redcliffe. Sure a premiership is amazing but what's more impressive is that they got a team together for this year and it just so happened to be good enough to go through undefeated.

I'm sure I won't be the only one watching their moves in the lead up to next season. As already stated they need cattle or it's a pointless exercise. Zillmere were still more of a dominate side back in 2013.

Woodsmen A : They have some real class acts that know how to play the game. They won more admirers with their second half in the GF. Continually just let the their footy do the talking. May not wear the trendy threads (not literally as their jumper is pretty cool) but have everyone's respect for just being themselves.

Zillmere B + : Came back after a sluggish 2014 with a few extra rounds of ammo. Need more depth but if the old guns kept well oiled they could have tasted premiership glory. Risk you take with old guns, sometimes they fire, sometimes they backfire. Tricky situation with close proximity to Sandgate. When the old stagers simply can't play anymore do they fade back into history?

Jimboomba B : Always solid, another 1 team club that happen to have some handy blokes that can play footy. Likely candidate for detention though, footy is a mans game and some men like to fight and play rough. In all fairness what else is there to do out there especially when your sister is at Rugby training.

Now for some random pass/fails

Ferny Grove - Pass
Really well done fellas. No senior side has ever pulled on the falcons guernsey. You had nothing to work with, no proud ex guns to play thirds, no ties with any other clubs. The club don't even have a colts side do they? Solid effort in the maiden season. Those green soldiers made the opposition work for their wins.

Coorparoo - Pass
A strong club also in a purple patch but managed to find another 22 players and sneak into finals contention. Knocked off some decent sides through the year as well.

Mayne - Pass
Some may appear puzzled with this. Some would have expected a potential finalist but early in the season they were one of the 4 easy beats. By the end of the season, anything but. If they start 2016 the way they finished 2015 then finals is possible. Still a fair effort to get yet another 22 on the park to go with their existing 2 powerhouse teams.

UQ - Fail
How do you go from a solid Div3 team/s that yielded a few flags in that div, eg last years ressies to missing finals in the bum league even after you drop those 2 full sides? With that many players UQ really need to look at player development and coaching. If they can bring their massive numbers together as a proper club they should be claiming some silverware. Instead they looked....just ordinary.

Yeronga - Fail
Kenmore beat these guys to finish the season. Kenmore! At season's end they couldn't win a fight with a one armed man. Not able to beat anyone above them and were absolutely smashed by Kedron, Zillmere and then pasted by Jimboomba. Definitely didn't have a kind draw but just lacked any gumption and were push overs most of the time. Lucky to scrape together half a dozen goals a game. Perhaps AFLQ can pull a few strings and get Jonathon Brown or Simon Black to turn out for the Devils....

Ipswich Cats - Fail
Too soon boys. As if heading out to Jimboomba wasn't bad enough. Ipswich on a Friday winters night to play against a team with some young louts that throw cheap shots. The cats need to be sure they deal with grubs promptly. Good to ensure the game grows and provide clubs for this to happen but you guys quickly found out you don't have a proper team yet.

Just a final note on the GF. Witnessed Kedron #1 give his captain #27 a roast on the field in the last quarter for apparently not going in hard enough. For the record the big man wasn't exactly slowing down heading into the contest and his presence forced Woodies into a scrappy passage of play.

I've seen the bloke play before (#1) and he's a very good footy player in this league but it sounded and looked really poor form. He owes his captain an apology over a cold beer that he shouts. Savour the moment boys, enjoy all of it with your team mates. Bet he's one of those blokes that goes ape sh!t when a bit of engine oil spills on the garage floor or blows his stack when the neighbours haven't lined up their whiz bins symetrically.

Done and dusted for the 3rds footy season. Fair effort boys, 83 pages of forum banter, slander, hair pulling, chest beating, pissing in pockets and lots of accusations flying. Great stuff, why the hell shouldn't ya, it's an internet forum...would be rude not to.

Kedron A+ : sure you can be favourites but ya still gotta do the work and get the results. Credit to them, came, saw, conquered. Think about what they have to compete with. Any guns have the option of Wilston Grange a stones throw away. Not that far on the bus over to Mott St for Div 2 action for a club in a purple patch. Or you can shoot up Gympie to Hornets and bask in the ambience of the swanky club. Or course Pine Rivers and Redcliffe. Sure a premiership is amazing but what's more impressive is that they got a team together for this year and it just so happened to be good enough to go through undefeated.

I'm sure I won't be the only one watching their moves in the lead up to next season. As already stated they need cattle or it's a pointless exercise. Zillmere were still more of a dominate side back in 2013.

Woodsmen A : They have some real class acts that know how to play the game. They won more admirers with their second half in the GF. Continually just let the their footy do the talking. May not wear the trendy threads (not literally as their jumper is pretty cool) but have everyone's respect for just being themselves.

Zillmere B + : Came back after a sluggish 2014 with a few extra rounds of ammo. Need more depth but if the old guns kept well oiled they could have tasted premiership glory. Risk you take with old guns, sometimes they fire, sometimes they backfire. Tricky situation with close proximity to Sandgate. When the old stagers simply can't play anymore do they fade back into history?

Jimboomba B : Always solid, another 1 team club that happen to have some handy blokes that can play footy. Likely candidate for detention though, footy is a mans game and some men like to fight and play rough. In all fairness what else is there to do out there especially when your sister is at Rugby training.

Ferny Grove - Pass
Really well done fellas. No senior side has ever pulled on the falcons guernsey. You had nothing to work with, no proud ex guns to play thirds, no ties with any other clubs. The club don't even have a colts side do they? Solid effort in the maiden season. Those green soldiers made the opposition work for their wins.

Coorparoo - Pass
A strong club also in a purple patch but managed to find another 22 players and sneak into finals contention. Knocked off some decent sides through the year as well.

Mayne - Pass
Some may appear puzzled with this. Some would have expected a potential finalist but early in the season they were one of the 4 easy beats. By the end of the season, anything but. If they start 2016 the way they finished 2015 then finals is possible. Still a fair effort to get yet another 22 on the park to go with their existing 2 powerhouse teams.

UQ - Fail
How do you go from a solid Div3 team/s that yielded a few flags in that div, eg last years ressies to missing finals in the bum league even after you drop those 2 full sides? With that many players UQ really need to look at player development and coaching. If they can bring their massive numbers together as a proper club they should be claiming some silverware. Instead they looked....just ordinary.

Yeronga - Fail
Kenmore beat these guys to finish the season. Kenmore! At season's end they couldn't win a fight with a one armed man. Not able to beat anyone above them and were absolutely smashed by Kedron, Zillmere and then pasted by Jimboomba. Definitely didn't have a kind draw but just lacked any gumption and were push overs most of the time. Lucky to scrape together half a dozen goals a game. Perhaps AFLQ can pull a few strings and get Jonathon Brown or Simon Black to turn out for the Devils....

Ipswich Cats - Fail
Too soon boys. As if heading out to Jimboomba wasn't bad enough. Ipswich on a Friday winters night to play against a team with some young louts that throw cheap shots. The cats need to be sure they deal with grubs promptly. Good to ensure the game grows and provide clubs for this to happen but you guys quickly found out you don't have a proper team yet.

Just a final note on the GF. Witnessed Kedron #1 give his captain #27 a roast on the field in the last quarter for apparently not going in hard enough. For the record the big man wasn't exactly slowing down heading into the contest and his presence forced Woodies into a scrappy passage of play.

I've seen the bloke play before (#1) and he's a very good footy player in this league but it sounded and looked really poor form. He owes his captain an apology over a cold beer that he shouts. Savour the moment boys, enjoy all of it with your team mates. Bet he's one of those blokes that goes ape sh!t when a bit of engine oil spills on the garage floor or blows his stack when the neighbours haven't lined up their whiz bins symetrically.

With the yeronga for the first time since I have been at the club we finished the season screaming for players the last 6 games we had 20 player and a min of 4 had to double up for a second game. The thirds had 7 regular players have season ending injuries at the half way mark and played over 60 players played a game. It's not an excuse for playing so bad over the last 6 games. But this Comp is changing and given the above we just couldn't be competitive with the losses we took and the players that were required to go up a grade to make up the numbers in the higher div. stacking in reverse and having 3 clubs has its disadvantages for a thirds club and will always make it hard for us to stay at the top of this comp. but if you are new to the game and want to play with a good bunch of guys and get a game no matter what your skill or fitness level is at you are always welcome.

Last edited:
Nice summary of the season mate. Just to clarify a couple things. Number one Dylan Powell I have known him since he was born. I can assure you he is not ocd in fact he is the most layed back fella you would come across. Leaves his bag behind at training always late or just on time. Scary given he can walk to the club in three minutes.
Big Jake number 27 has given out a few sprays this year himself.
A bloke who leads from the front and amazes everyone with his tank. For a ruckman of that size he runs all game and constantly puts younger players in his wake.
Any club would be lucky to have him captain thier side.
When someone gets a spray or recivies one its always laughed about after the game.
I tell the boys all the time sometimes emotion can get the better of you and that's life.
It's nothing personal and we move on.
The fact is they came together at a time when a club could not be in a worse position.
We set them a challenge and they took it on board and came together as a team.
Not a team with high flyers but a bunch of the most diverse personalities you have ever come across.
My job was to set a foundation for the future and give us a chance to move forward again.
I cannot say they will happen next year but if we get some more players were on our way.
So we will welcome people from all backgrounds and ability to the club next year.
My philosophy is the number one player is no more important than the last player on your list. The motto is there is no such thing as a s**t job they all have to be done if you want success.
Thanks again for all the good and at sometimes out of line banter.
It was challenging but I wouldn't want it any other way.

With the yeronga for the first time since I have been at the club we finished the season screaming for players the last 6 games we had 20 player and a min of 4 had to double up for a second game. The thirds had 7 regular players have season ending injuries at the half way mark and played over 60 players played a game. It's not an excuse for playing so bad over the last 6 games. But this Comp is changing and given the above we just couldn't be competitive with the losses we took and the players that were required to go up a grade to make up the numbers in the higher div. stacking in reverse and having 3 clubs has its disadvantages for a thirds club and will always make it hard for us to stay at the top of this comp. but if you are new to the game and want to play with a good bunch of guys and get a game no matter what your skill or fitness level is at you are always welcome.

over 60!

wow, we used 58 which I thought was bad, but 60 is amazing.

You Yeronga boys should convert to the split club model, works much better. We are very much a part of the Western Magpies family, but we run 100% independently which works much better for both clubs in my opinion.

We have never ever used a Magpie player, even on a permit. We do lend players to them ocassionally. There is no arguments about who plays for who though, as you register formally with different clubs.

the Falcons used around that amount of players for the season too.
over 60!

wow, we used 58 which I thought was bad, but 60 is amazing.

You Yeronga boys should convert to the split club model, works much better. We are very much a part of the Western Magpies family, but we run 100% independently which works much better for both clubs in my opinion.

We have never ever used a Magpie player, even on a permit. We do lend players to them ocassionally. There is no arguments about who plays for who though, as you register formally with different clubs.

20 of ours played only 1 game, 6 of them were permits from fellow clubs in this league who gave us a hand when we were short.

We had an actual squad of about 30 players. The rest were ring ins and guys doing us a favour

In fact, i reckon we probably collected fees from less than 30 guys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been going on for years. Jimboomba have never produced a winner, so i don't think you can point to that as a factor all of a sudden.

Best player in a team that lost 3 games. Hardly undeserving. Remember, this is a guy that started 2015 in a QAFL midfield that made finals.

Definitely the best player in thier team from what I saw.
Don't think to many players in his team took votes of him.
Other teams have a better mix of players who spread the votes around.
I did mention Sizer as a player to watch. He went under the radar with not one mention of him in this fourm this year.
George certainly took votes of him and vice versa.
But that's footy and good luck to him.

2 umpires isn't there with the 2 umps combining for their best 3... Unless the Jimboomba umpire has a very strong personality...
I've umpired many games with him. Each time we had an open discussion about who got votes. I can only assume what we agreed is what was sent in.

This year, I umpired our game against Redbacks with him and we gave a Redbacks player 3 votes and 2 and 1 to Woodies, although we won the game - the Redbacks player kicked 6 of their 8 goals. (it wasn't Guise)

Ferny Grove - Pass

Coorparoo - Pass

Mayne - Pass

UQ - Fail

Yeronga - Fail

Ipswich Cats - Fail

Nice summary - you knob!!

Nice summary - you knob!!

What's matter big guy.....? Not happy with the mark given to your side or just unhappy that it wasn't marked at all!!

It's all good..... time to let go and reflect on a good season of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back