CHIMP MAGNET

Premiership Player
May 23, 2011
man, woman, chimp
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Eliminationfinalmond
If it doesn't have an indigenous gentleman throwing a boomerang on it then it is a s**t football

Ross Faulkner Native Brand or gtfo

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
I remember the name Chesson from when I first started getting into footy in the mid 70's. Dont think I ever kicked one but definitely remember the name and it being a WA brand.

Ok did a bit of a search - from trove - just a picture but headline is - Chesson football approved by West Australian National Football League - its from 1969
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/12204696

and this from the Burley Sekem website.

http://www.sekem.com.au/content/page/burley.html
Burley
Burley footballs have a history dating back to 1907, when the ball was first used in a WAFL league match between East Fremantle and West Perth. Word spread quickly and by 1913, Burley had expanded to Victoria, the home of football. In 1924 the ball was first used at the Australian Interstate Carnival, held in Hobart, and by 1933, Burley was the official ball of the SANFL.

As the company grew, it acquired competing football brands Rover and Chesson on the way to pioneering the importation of leather footballs from overseas. After capturing a license as the official football of the Victorian Country Football League's in 1988, Burley merged with sportswear giant Sekem in 1989......................

http://www.sekem.com.au/content/page/burley.html

Did you grow up in WA or SA, if SA I wonder how a Chesson made it across the border.

Do you know of any native SA brands of footballs ?.

Did you grow up in WA or SA, if SA I wonder how a Chesson made it across the border.

Do you know of any native SA brands of footballs ?.

I grew up in SA but whenever state games were on we would have guys from WA on radio and TV so they might have mentioned it. Haydn Bunton Jnr was a coach of South Adelaide and in the media, but he had a long career in WA just like SA so he could have talked about it. I remember in state games usually Burley's would be used in WA and Faulkner's in SA, but I reckon 1 state game in the 1970's they had 1 half with one ball and one half with the other and nobody was happy about that and it never happened again.

I reckon in 1980 + 81 or 81+82 we had the WAFL match of the round shown in SA on a Sunday on ch 7. We definitely got the 1981 WAFL GF in full the next day. Remember Benny Vigona and Basil Campbell for Souths squaring up against a few Claremont players and about 5 minutes into the game all the indigenous lads from both sides having a little conference and basically agreeing not to get into an all in brawl.

I cant remember an SA brand of footy. Ross Faulkner is all I can remember from my youth as that's what the SANFL used.

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
I grew up in SA but whenever state games were on we would have guys from WA on radio and TV so they might have mentioned it. Haydn Bunton Jnr was a coach of South Adelaide and in the media, but he had a long career in WA just like SA so he could have talked about it. I remember in state games usually Burley's would be used in WA and Faulkner's in SA, but I reckon 1 state game in the 1970's they had 1 half with one ball and one half with the other and nobody was happy about that and it never happened again.

I reckon in 1980 + 81 or 81+82 we had the WAFL match of the round shown in SA on a Sunday on ch 7. We definitely got the 1981 WAFL GF in full the next day. Remember Benny Vigona and Basil Campbell for Souths squaring up against a few Claremont players and about 5 minutes into the game all the indigenous lads from both sides having a little conference and basically agreeing not to get into an all in brawl.

I cant remember an SA brand of footy. Ross Faulkner is all I can remember from my youth as that's what the SANFL used.

Cheers.

Grew up in Canberra and rarely saw a Faulkner ( native brand) let alone a Burley and have never seen a Chesson or Rover.

It was simply Sherrin and then some more Sherrins, not to mention my family were pretty big Collingwood fans ( hence my big footy name after fabulous phil carman )

It is an interesting subject and I wonder if seeing WA had at least 3 separate balls (Burley, Chesson and Rover ) that Tassie or SA had a home made brand.

Seeing as SA was playing football just as long as Vic you would imagine that they would have had their own brand ?.

The VFA used a rugby size 5 (?) ball for quite a while in the early years, and before that I think they used anything they could get there hands on, makes you wonder what SA used.

Burley is what you put in the water when you are trying to attract Sharks. :confused:

Has someone made this reference yet?

tumblr_lgddbvNk2Q1qbj46wo1_400.gif

FLX121

Senior List
Sep 14, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Burley always seemed rounder to me. Harder to drop punt and felt heavier. I'm obviously talking out of my ass cos I haven't seen or touched one in 20 years but I remember preferring sherrins. I always wanted a sherrin with the ANZ logo remember those ? I think they were the first company to get their logo on a ball.

Royalbeagle

Team Captain
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Does anyone remember the Kookaburra balls? Never liked them as a kid - pointy and hard they were.

Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I played in a team where we brought a Sherrin to games for the match day ball. It suited the side cause they were prone to drop punts, and this is many many years ago when torps were still common. By Grand Final time, our footy was well worn. The opposition had a lot of players who kicked a lot of tops. They brought out a new Faulkner and the umpire chose it. For me, it was a bad sign... I thought, geez, a lot.of my side have never kicked one. Certainly very different back then. It suited me but not them... we spent a bit of time in the quarter-time break(at a Grand Final!) talking about how to adjust to a new kind of ball. So everyone in that team certainly saw it as very different.

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Does anyone remember the Kookaburra balls? Never liked them as a kid - pointy and hard they were.
I had a kookaburra footy as a young bloke. Was an absolute ripper of a ball. Mate was bouncing it walking along the street, fumbled, ball onto the road, tosser in a car drove straight over it. Mind you was a quiet street, no other car and he went over it at a very slow speed. Split the footy, was absolutely devastated. Haven't seen one since.

Back