NEAFL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree LAB - I went and did the Level 1 Talent ID course a few years back and was disgusted how the speakers (Kevin Sheehan etc) were proudly talking about the draft as some sort of panacea to all problems when in reality the average footy career last less than 5 years and the number of games played is around 80 I think. 5 years includes from draft year to kick out year so when you think about it, most guys will be lucky to get 3 decent years of footy in.
It makes no logical sense at all why clubs take players at age 18 with all the unknowns attached to players future capacity. Why you wouldn't look at more 20-22yr olds and have them play immediately from this age to get kicked out at age 27 or 28 is beyond me. You get the best years of a players career really. But it is a big case of monkey see, monkey do. Not sure Parker equates to Fyffe mind you athleticism wise - he is just a pure footballer imo.
I also reckon there would be less go home factor for a mature age recruit - obviously more mature, settled at 25 after 2-3yrs at a footy club, not pining for family or friends as much. This I think will be the biggest factor to footy clubs going forward. GWS is currently getting belted, the Lions have been, Suns to a certain degree and the rest of the AFL clubs to a lesser extent.
Lions should be looking closer to home for the older blokes, happy for Academy boys to be drafted interstate and realise they will come back more than likely at some stage once they are bona fide footballers!! Beams is a good example of this (if he can get fit!!).

LAB you make some interesting points there. The AFL would argue that they have feeder leagues being primarily the TAC cup as well as the VFL,WAFL,SANFL, NEAFL, and the rep programs. Your point of the best 17 year old underage player not necessarily being the best adult player is undeniable. Raising the draft age as a means to counter this has long been debated. The counter arguments to a higher draft age include losing talent to other sports, not wanting to hold back "elite" players that are ready etc.

Most involved in grassroots footy would argue for more money to be allocated to it but when you see county footy clubs operating out of tin sheds with scant regard for development etc and paying blokes $1000 bucks a game (and flying them in) you can see why the AFL wants to control things. Academies, TAC cup, draft etc are all controlled by the AFL and I really don't see them empowering clubland by providing them with funds and by making them the breeding ground any time soon.

And this makes sense too 2010 - I wouldn't trust a bank account to too many club officials who hang their self esteem on being in charge of a premiership winning footy club and will sell the farm to do so - what qual do you need to be a club president or treasurer??

NEAFL Grand Final; watched this on live stream.....unreal at the end, a carbon copy of the 2014 GF, and Aspleys best kick of the football in the team be it Grose couldn't nail it, but it was from a very difficult position ..

NEAFL Grand Final; watched this on live stream.....unreal at the end, a carbon copy of the 2014 GF, and Aspleys best kick of the football in the team be it Grose couldn't nail it, but it was from a very difficult position ..

Missed shot after the siren?

See a record crowd of some 5800 .. today . The sanfl gf had 25000 plus ..which is the norm as is this sort of crowd in the vfl and wafl ... but.. no . Todays vfl and wafl gf had only some 13000.. wow thats a massive drop compared to the norm ... must be concerning for the afl .

Even my old stomping ground be it the strong ovens and murray league played their gf today and had some 12000 in attendance.. the albury tigers won tbeir 5th flag in the last 7 gf appearences..unreal .

unreal? i would have though that is only ok when you buy flags. that comp has been ruined due cash.

That's all going to change. Aflvic have made sweeping changes with the salary cap. It's starting to work. Heidelberg and south Barwon big powerhouse clubs missed the finals this year. Reckon some country players might head north

Is that a good or bad thing damo? Not sure you want a club full of blokes that hang around simply for the $$. Yep, there would be an increase in ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suppose if clubs stick to their budget it shouldn't be a bad thing, its when ego gets in the way of decision making that there is a worry.

Not as badly as the EDFL and Deer Park Gordon, that club is ridiculous.

is that the club with guerra etc and won the gf by plenty?

do the leagues and aflv have the resources to monitor and audit these clubs? will they also have the balls to fine/discipline clubs (precedence with the melbourne storm would be to deduct points or relegate if applicable)

Does the Neafl have a cap and how do they police it? what are the playing budgets of clubs.

Yep that's the one, houlihan, Hargreaves, Brett Thornton plus a couple of gun locals. Reportedly spending up around $400k which seems ridiculous if even close.

Great to see Josh Wagner picked up by the Dees in rookie draft

Could easily be another NEAFL rookie steal for the Dees like Aaron vanderBerg was in 2015.

Also good to see Matt Uebergang get an opportunity with Freo and Paul Hunter at Adelaide. Had Hunter earmarked to go to the Lions as a late pick or rookie and a back up plan to Stef Martin but he goes to the Crows who will also do well with his services.

Great work by Aspley & Redland players drafted and rookied, the question is Southport are you fair dinkum?, most of the Gold Coast knows that has not been the case for a long time. Time to stand up and represent the Gold Coast, but no one is holding their breath.Gold Coast Suns until you list Gold Coast players you will struggle to connect with the Gold Coast football community, but you stubbornly want to ignore this issue. Good luck in winning this battle, hearts and minds.

Great work by Aspley & Redland players drafted and rookied, the question is Southport are you fair dinkum?, most of the Gold Coast knows that has not been the case for a long time. Time to stand up and represent the Gold Coast, but no one is holding their breath.Gold Coast Suns until you list Gold Coast players you will struggle to connect with the Gold Coast football community, but you stubbornly want to ignore this issue. Good luck in winning this battle, hearts and minds.

LAB,

I could not agree any more with your comments above, it seems that the Suns Academy is a waste of time and money compared to the Lions Academy, the Suns reserves got comprehensively smashed by most all NEAFL sides last year and yet no one from this league was good enough to get drafted or even get a rookie spot for this basket case side. At least they are keeping up the good old overall Gold Coast party strip tradition as being a club offering a place for a good time and with that no one being very much accountable for their acts or actions. So much for giving local Qld talent a crack, shameful in the least.

As for the Sharkies, Wow what a huge fall from grace, once, one of the most feared and talked about AFL footy side / footy club in the land, turned to a laughing stock amongst its peers and again once most feared opposition sides - One has to wonder if it is also the Sun's influence that has deteriorated this once proud and fearless club from a side of carnivores gouging everything in their wake, into a team of toothless gummy sharks who now struggle to beat the stragglers in the NEAFL competition.

Great to see Josh Wagner picked up by the Dees in rookie draft

Yes well done to Josh he has worked hard at his game over the last couple of years, one must say that John Blair's influence in Josh's game change is simular to that of Tom Bell from Morningside who has now gone on to be a very good player within the AFL system

Don't feel too pitiful for the Sharks I'm sure Jarrod Fields influence their, combined with the strength of the club will have them back where they need to be soon enough.

Great to see NEAFL Umpire Alex Whetton get a rookie spot at the AFL Umpiring Level, this lad will go all the way, good bloke and very good golfer, but more importantly a very, very good field umpire. May many more talents like him get the opportunity at the big time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back