Remove this Banner Ad

JohnnyDrama1

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Billings taken with #3 in '13 draft, Merrett with #26. Roughly same height and weight, both left footers, play similar positions, and very similar style of play

Who would you prefer?

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i'd rather Billings. If he can stay on the park he's a pretty complete player. Dual sided and great overhead. Merrett's quality though, probably has a marginally better left foot

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Billings taken with #3 in '13 draft, Merrett with #26. Roughly same height and weight, both left footers, play similar positions, and very similar style of play

Who would you prefer?

Billings by a long way. Merret is a nice player but Billings is elite by foot and has shown he will be a match winner.

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Southampton
Billings by a long way. Merret is a nice player but Billings is elite by foot and has shown he will be a match winner.
Merrett is elite by foot and has shown he can stand up when the rest of the teams hasn't. Any legitimate reasons why Billings is better than Merrett other than playing at St.Kilda?

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Merrett is elite by foot and has shown he can stand up when the rest of the teams hasn't. Any legitimate reasons why Billings is better than Merrett other than playing at St.Kilda?

Better by foot better mark and is a natural goal kicker.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
He isn't better by foot. Billings may be more prolific in the forward line however Merrett is a better midfielder.

I suggest your bias blinds you. Billings is elite by foot Merret is a neat kick but not in the class of Billings. Billings will go through the middle this season and will eclipse anything Merret has done.

Oraaaaazio

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Close, but Merrett's kicking is better and is a bit quicker.
Ok, I think you're overrating him a bit. I rate Zach very highly but I'd definitely have Bontempelli & Cripps streets ahead and then around the same mark as Billings, Kolodjashnij, Sheed and only a little ahead of a few others. Won't bring KPPs into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, I think you're overrating him a bit. I rate Zach very highly but I'd definitely have Bontempelli & Cripps streets ahead and then around the same mark as Billings, Kolodjashnij, Sheed and only a little ahead of a few others. Won't bring KPPs into it.
Patrick Cripps is a gun, but so is Zach. Blues fans are happy with Cripps and Essendon fans are happy with Merrett so let's leave it at that.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Billings seems to have silkier skills/decision making on the whole although Merrett is a great kick in his own right. Merrett is already pretty awesome in the midfield and if he hadn't gotten a minor stress injury he would have probably come 4th in our B&F behind only Hurley, Hooker and Heppell. He's already shown that he can find the ball with ease, has good pace, is a fantastic tackler in terms of running down players (pretty much every game) and is just a natural footballer. Also its not unfair to suggest that Merrett has a lot more growth in him given he only picked up footy seriously a few years ago and was playing cricket one or two years prior to being drafted. Is legitimately ahead of where Heppell was after year 2.

I'm just going to say it. Merrett will be the best player in his draft class. Yes even including Bontempelli and Cripps. Not expecting a lot of support on this opinion at this stage but time will tell.

Adam H

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Aug 23, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Billings seems to have silkier skills/decision making on the whole although Merrett is a great kick in his own right. Merrett is already pretty awesome in the midfield and if he hadn't gotten a minor stress injury he would have probably come 4th in our B&F behind only Hurley, Hooker and Heppell. He's already shown that he can find the ball with ease, has good pace, is a fantastic tackler in terms of running down players (pretty much every game) and is just a natural footballer. Also its not unfair to suggest that Merrett has a lot more growth in him given he only picked up footy seriously a few years ago and was playing cricket one or two years prior to being drafted. Is legitimately ahead of where Heppell was after year 2.

I'm just going to say it. Merrett will be the best player in his draft class. Yes even including Bontempelli and Cripps. Not expecting a lot of support on this opinion at this stage but time will tell.

I doubt you'll get support from anyone at all.

1873 United

Team Captain
May 8, 2009
South East Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United

Just watch a replay of the Saints v Dogs Round 6 fixture, it will pretty well answer your doubts.

Oh and for the record, Essendon have a track record over overestimating their own and underrating the rest. I think it's called Dodoroitus.

Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Southampton
Just watch a replay of the Saints v Dogs Round 6 fixture, it will pretty well answer your doubts.

Oh and for the record, Essendon have a track record over overestimating their own and underrating the rest. I think it's called Dodoroitus.
He played an excellent game, what about the rest of his matches played for the year?

Opposition supporters have an unhealthy obsession with Dodoro.

I suggest your bias blinds you. Billings is elite by foot Merret is a neat kick but not in the class of Billings. Billings will go through the middle this season and will eclipse anything Merret has done.
Wait so Billings played forward this year?

Played half forward majority and stints through the middle.
Oh ok.

Thought if he'd have hit the scoreboard with majors in more then 3 games then.

Averaged 20+ disposals
What's that got to do with him hitting the scoreboard in only 3 games despite playing mainly forward according to you.

Not a judgement just surprised me. :)

Back