Unsolved Jack The Ripper

scalesofjustice

All Australian
Mar 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What really blows my mind is that everyone involved in the crime ie. any withenesses, the police, loved ones .. have all been dead for such a long, long time and even if new evidence comes to light and the case is solved nobody can be interviewed and nobody from that time who was heavily involved and dedicated their lives to solving the case will be around to celebrate.

I wonder if the current day families of the victims are heavily invested in it? I mean they never would have met the deceased obviously, but they are still their flesh and blood. If for example it was your great great great grandmother that was murdered by Jack the Ripper, how would you feel?

The passage of time is a strange thing

Subprime

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2007
Ether
AFL Club
Collingwood
How do you ask for the photo of Lechmere as an old man I wonder.

Errm your great grandpa was ahem ...oh do you mind if we make a copy of that.

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did anyone else catch the recent doco about the guy who was found over one body and who's route to work corresponded with where the bodies were found?

Subprime

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2007
Ether
AFL Club
Collingwood
The documentary about Lechmere was first shown in March (see previous page and pto for discussion).

I watched it again and I can't see any other possibility for Bucks Row.

Subprime

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2007
Ether
AFL Club
Collingwood
Im glad you posted the name
It was driving me nuts

As I said, it was pretty compelling stuff

As the QC said the timings really hurt Lechmere.

The pathologists report and the eyewitness account mean it realistically couldn't have been anyone else.

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As the QC said the timings really hurt Lechmere.

The pathologists report and the eyewitness account mean it realistically couldn't have been anyone else.
Have just read an online article about him, would seem a very creditable suspect
May have to do some more studying up

Subprime

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2007
Ether
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have just read an online article about him, would seem a very creditable suspect
May have to do some more studying up

Be interesting to know if the Swedish journo and his group found anything else out about him. They did a fair job finding 120 odd official documents on him, as well as the photo.

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Be interesting to know if the Swedish journo and his group found anything else out about him. They did a fair job finding 120 odd official documents on him, as well as the photo.
Yes, should of read your posts on the previous page
The one thing that stood out was the seemingly thorough research in the doco, without the embellishments that normally accompany Riper theories

Subprime

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2007
Ether
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes, should of read your posts on the previous page
The one thing that stood out was the seemingly thorough research in the doco, without the embellishments that normally accompany Riper theories

Yep, the approach taken, to attempt to eliminate Lechmere as a suspect, left him right in the frame.

It beats me how he was missed in the first place or in the century plus since. He was there, he clearly lied about the circumstances and timings and a witness exposed his presence at the scene of the crime and contradicted his version of events. Luckily for Lechmere he was able to adopt the witness as an alibi and get away without being properly questioned.

Moshie The Mook

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Written by the bloke who wrote and directed Whitnail and I - possibly the greatest movie EVER.

Would be a ripping read.

It's a fascinating story.

I'm more inclined to believe it will never be solved and that's possibly better for the story as well.
It's only been 125 years mate. FFS give the cops some time to follow up all possible leads.

Written by the bloke who wrote and directed Whitnail and I - possibly the greatest movie EVER.

Would be a ripping read.

It's only been 125 years mate. FFS give the cops some time to follow up all possible leads.

I'm only willing to wait another 50 years.

My main point was the story itself is better with it staying as a mystery. Maybe I more hope that it isn't solved.

How can it possibly be solved?

I don't know, they are trying though.

Can it 100% be solved? No.
Can they put forth a name and decide this person was the Ripper? Yes.

I don't know, they are trying though.

Can it 100% be solved? No.
Can they put forth a name and decide this person was the Ripper? Yes.

They have done though with several suspects but that is as good as it will get. There is good chance it is none of the known suspects as well.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not completely saying 'Will never be solved - too long ago - etc). Certainky with current technologies it appears we can't make much more progress.

But go back 100 years and consider some of the scientific breakthroughs that we use today for investigation into crimes, historical research etc:

eg:
DNA and all the information available re family connections
Carbon (and other) radioactive dating

If you told someone about those a century ago, they would have laughed at you and said 'Stick to fairytales'. Just because we cant conceive anything that could solve the crime, doesn't mean it's not available. Maybe there is some analysis we can do on old photographs, or the 'Dear Boss' letter which could help.

It would be a fantastic story if it could finally be 100% confirmed one way or the other. But Jack is such a big industry, it's probably better it stays a mystery.

Back