Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Followed a good year in 2013 with 2 ordinary ones.

Does a bit of everything through the midfield but nothing at an elite level. Isn't really an inside player or outside player, turns it over too much but can also kick nicely and off both feet, has good run and decent speed but not at the top level for either.

I have heard we are interested in getting him to play half back and with Cross and Howe gone and Grimes, Terlich below AFL standard it is a position where we could do with some mature reinforcement.

He could help us, but we are giving up a premium to find out.

Abomination

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm always thoroughly weary of players that blame peripheral circumstances as reasons for under-performing. The "dark cloud of ASADA" being an excuse for 2 average years is... ummm... yeah. Sorry, I don't buy it.

Not only are we giving up our second most valuable currency this year, we look like a basket case offering him this kind of money and being prepared to give up this pick. It does nothing to help our standing as a club that wants to be respected, especially when it's a player that not one other club has any interest in (and Essendon have zero interest in trying to retain -- alarm bells, anyone?)

I know he has a competitive edge and I'm all for bringing in types like this, but you can just as easily get younger, higher-ceiling, highly competitive types direct from the draft with equally as much potential. Melksham's had 6 years to develop it and hasn't taken the next step. The dark cloud of ASADA is no excuse.

And it's a dark cloud that could very well rain a 2 year ban on us. You sure as hell don't get that from the draft.

I'm always thoroughly weary of players that blame peripheral circumstances as reasons for under-performing. The "dark cloud of ASADA" being an excuse for 2 average years is... ummm... yeah. Sorry, I don't buy it.

Not only are we giving up our second most valuable currency this year, we look like a basket case offering him this kind of money and being prepared to give up this pick. It does nothing to help our standing as a club that wants to be respected, especially when it's a player that not one other club has any interest in (and Essendon have zero interest in trying to retain -- alarm bells, anyone?)

I know he has a competitive edge and I'm all for bringing in types like this, but you can just as easily get younger, higher-ceiling, highly competitive types direct from the draft with equally as much potential. Melksham's had 6 years to develop it and hasn't taken the next step. The dark cloud of ASADA is no excuse.

And it's a dark cloud that could very well rain a 2 year ban on us. You sure as hell don't get that from the draft.

Untrue - this is last week:

Carlisle and Melksham have both informed Essendon in the past month that they want fresh starts at new clubs next season.

But Bombers football manager Rob Kerr is hoping that a heart-to-heart with Worsfold could change their minds. "I don't think it's irreconcilable," Kerr told SEN on Tuesday morning.

"But I do think it's worth us having another chat to those boys with a senior coach in place now, John can talk to them about his philosophies and how he would see those boys fitting in to what he wants to do with the group in the future.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...rlisle-and-jake-melksham-20151005-gk1zwh.html

As for the ban stuff, well I admit I am concerned about that. But I do believe our dept would have done their homework on what the likely penalty would be - doubtful that they'd pull the trigger if there was something really concerning. But I haven't kept up with the WADA appeal stuff so I don't actually know.

Abomination

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Melbourne
As for the ban stuff, well I admit I am concerned about that. But I do believe our dept would have done their homework on what the likely penalty would be - doubtful that they'd pull the trigger if there was something really concerning. But I haven't kept up with the WADA appeal stuff so I don't actually know.
Our recruiters can study their law handbooks until the cows come home but it's a complete unknown what WADA and CAS will deliver to these players. As you pointed out, an encroaching performance enhancing drugs trial led against Melksham and former teammates by the World Anti-Doping Authority is concerning to put it lightly.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Followed a good year in 2013 with 2 ordinary ones.

Does a bit of everything through the midfield but nothing at an elite level. Isn't really an inside player or outside player, turns it over too much but can also kick nicely and off both feet, has good run and decent speed but not at the top level for either.

I have heard we are interested in getting him to play half back and with Cross and Howe gone and Grimes, Terlich below AFL standard it is a position where we could do with some mature reinforcement.

He could help us, but we are giving up a premium to find out.
So basically we've picked up an ok player who is a utility, a bloke that can butcher it but who also has a good competitive edge about him. Probably going to be a half back flanker getting paid 400k, and we are not really sure where he stands with ASADA re his infractions?

Our recruiters can study their law handbooks until the cows come home but it's a complete unknown what WADA and CAS will deliver to these players. As you pointed out, an encroaching performance enhancing drugs trial led against Melksham and former teammates by the World Anti-Doping Authority is concerning to put it lightly.

Which makes me wonder - are we allowed to offer a contract clause that would cover us in the event of such a thing happening?

Even if we did - would Melksham agree to it? Too many ifs.

Abomination

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Melbourne
I doubt anyone would agree to a contract which contained clauses that allow their employer to not pay them, especially if it related to your former employer using you as a guinea pig in a perverse drugs cocktail experiment.

I imagine we'd go to the AFL and complain and ultimately be told it was clearly buyer beware. The fact that Melksham's WADA problem is an elephant in the room, and not the leading consideration, is simply baffling to me.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
I am concerned about what the Melbourne Football Club is doing to its supporters. This is abuse.

Straight up, no holds barred, no apologies given, abuse

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I imagine we'd go to the AFL and complain and ultimately be told it was clearly buyer beware. The fact that Melksham's WADA problem is an elephant in the room, and not the leading consideration, is simply baffling to me.

This was the first thing I said when it was rumoured that we were looking at Melksham. My opinion is that a club like ours that is so desperate to get quality additions onto our list, we shouldn't be looking at any Essendon players who might be looking at a WADA ban. It's too disruptive to their preparation and to our team. Not worth it. And when it's just a mediocre talent like Melksham, why bother?

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hmmmm, lots of issues present here. WADA scandal looks to the overwhelming issue and I certainly hope this does not impact our club and adversely affect the way he plays for Melbourne. I would much rather have had these issues put to bed before he came to us. And yes, he appears by discussion here to be an average player but let's give the benefit of the doubt and see how he goes in a new environment, he might be a really great player for us.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
No he's not.

You can slice it and dice it any way you like; he's a s**t footballer and we are a laughing stock for trading for him.
If i thought anyone read BF i would keep silent and cross my fingers at this point in time, but i think its safe to say we have your recruitment department thoroughly hypnotized so i guess i can comment freely; You are making a huge and embarrassing mistake. He is a VFL footballer through and through. Should never have gotten to 50 games let alone 100. Hirdy had a blind spot with him and just gifted games. I would be staggered if he came good for you, and am just so relieved that he is leaving us...

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
If i thought anyone read BF i would keep silent and cross my fingers at this point in time, but i think its safe to say we have your recruitment department thoroughly hypnotized so i guess i can comment freely; You are making a huge and embarrassing mistake. He is a VFL footballer through and through. Should never have gotten to 50 games let alone 100. Hirdy had a blind spot with him and just gifted games. I would be staggered if he came good for you, and am just so relieved that he is leaving us...

With Goodwin and McCartney both having worked closely with him, they must be giving a big tick of approval for us to be offering pick 25!!! If Goodwin can turn him back into an honest footballer, and get a solid contribution over another 100+ games, then well done Goodwin! But geez it looks like a crazy Vossy selection this one!!

Personally I think it is a huge mistake. Like most on here, third rounder is probably about the right trade. Even then I still think we are getting slightly robbed. The big problem for me, is that we have recruited ANOTHER footballer who's best attribute isn't his kicking! And if we recruit Bugg as well, that is 2 blokes who chop the ball on a regular basis! WTF are we doing??? I'd rather take huge risks with Yarran and Bennell who are both elite kicks than go with Melksham and Bugg who granted are strong guys, but struggle to hit a target!! Bloody hell...

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
No he's not.

You can slice it and dice it any way you like; he's a s**t footballer and we are a laughing stock for trading for him.

This is the problem we have with free agency and the like. We can't attract any decent footballers here. So we are forced to go pay overs for 'average' footballers who are struggling to get a gig at their own clubs. And when a player like Jed Anderson pops up who is struggling to get a gig at a great club like Hawthorn, and who is actually worthy of chasing, we aren't even looking at him?? WTF is going on down there?? This trade period looks to be a bust.

Can't attract decent footballers? We traded in Bernie Vince last year (edit: for 2014 season). If you're talking about genuine A-graders, then yes that might be an issue, but then again there are many clubs not in their window that struggle with this.

Zyzz

Debutant
Oct 13, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
my god he is frustrating but reckon with the new environment he will be capable of becoming a good player for the dees. i have a feeling goodwin will get the best out of him and then it will be a win-win trade :)

He hasn't been since he was off the drugs.

Much like the Essendon list. Funny that...
Its like last season never happened.

Long story short master bate is bang on. If you get Melksham of 14/15 you're getting robbed. If you get Melksham of 13 then you're probably paying the right price. If you get the Melksham who starred against the Cats one night then you're getting a bargain.

I suspect you'll get the 13 version with occasional movement to the other versions.

Back