NT Thunder Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't know about anyone else but I take quite a bit of interest in the NT Thunder. There is so much footy talent up in the NT and the Thunder now provide locals with a pathway into the AFL. This thread is designed for people to discuss Thunder results, players, possible AFL draftees etc. Here is the playing list for the Thunder in 2014 according to their website:

1. Ross Tungatalum
2. Darren Ewing
3. Alwyn Davey
4. Aaron Motlop
5. Shaquille McKenzie
6. Julian Lockwood
7. Nakia Coackatoo
9. Jack Long
10. Nathan Djerruka
11. Jonathan Miles
12. Jonathan Peris
13. Lachlan Argus
14. Brad Vassal
15. Matthew Rosier
16. Cameron Ilett
17. Shannon Rioli
18. Mitchell Taylor
19. Sebastian Guilhaus
21. William Rioli Jr
22. Jack Musgrove
23. Erinn Wasley-Black
24. Chris Dunne
26. Jake Roe-Duggan
29. Justin Beugelaar
30. Patrick Heenan
33. Ben Rioli
34. Michaelis McMasters
36. Steven Miles
37. Liam Patrick
38. Abraham Ankers
39. Austin Wonaeamirri
43. Baydon Ngalkin
45. Neil Vea Vea
46. Paul Campbell
49. Sam Godden

I guess the first question is how many of these guys are a chance to get drafted this year? I see Jack Musgrove, Michaelis McMasters and Sam Godden are all in the NT U18 team competing in the national championships and TAC Cup this year so perhaps those three are a chance?

As for the Thunder, they are sitting second on the NEAFL ladder with three wins from three matches. They have recorded wins over UWS, Aspley and Gold Coast in their first three rounds. These are their remaining games for the 2014 season:

Round 4 v Sydney Hills @ Marrara
Round 5 v Redland @ Marrara
Round 6 v Southport @ Marrara
Round 7 v Aspley @ Graham Road
Round 8 v Lions @ Marrara
Round 9 v Bye
Round 10 v Swans @ Drummoyne
Round 11 v Giants @ Sydney Showgrounds
Round 12 v Suns @ Marrara
Round 13 v Sydney Uni @ Marrara
Round 14 v Redland @ Marrara
Round 15 v Lions @ Giffin Park
Round 16 v Bye
Round 17 v Swans @ Marrara
Round 18 v Southport @ Fankhauser
Round 19 v Aspley @ Traeger
Round 20 v Redland @ Casheezi
Round 21 v Bye

So, let's talk Thunder!

The big question is can big Boof Ewing kick another 100goals this season? and will Ilett have another stellar year?

I think if Wesley-Black has a good year, may be a late round/rookie pick up. Missed out on this year draft I think it was, so a good showing and may be a chance. Also Willie Rioli Jnr... he is 18 now? maybe a good year from him and could get a spot on an AFL list.

Theres a good mix of young and experienced players on the list. 5 have been on an AFL list, with some top class NTFL players thrown in swell...

Love this team won't be surprised if my friend Leroy plays for this team one day, depending how far he want's to take his footy. Used to live in NT for a few years and play for St Marys U13-U16's and Leroy used to tear it up as a ruck blondie. Now he is ripping it up as one of their best players in the top squad.

Worth mentioning Thunder player Nakai Cockatoo was drafted to Geelong with the number 10 pick this year. Are there any other NT boys coming through from the 2015 draft class that may be a chance of getting drafted?

Not sure if this is a regular thing weekly thing but they seem to be replaying Thunder games on NITV (Channel 34) in WA during the off season for anyone interested in taking a look. Last night was a replay from the game against UWS (GWS's NEAFL side) which Thunder won.

Great idea by NITV :)

2015 NEAFL Grand Final
NT Thunder 11.15 (81) def. Aspley 11.14 (80)

The Thunder's second premiership in their history.

D7HEBZf.jpg

Cant wait to watch the replay of this! when I score checked in the last we were 18pts up, and to get home by 1pt :)

I don't think NT Thunder is a pathway for players to reach the AFL at all. Since Thunder's inception how many players have actually been directly drafted from Thunder? Quality team that has had its fair share of ex AFL players play but, certainly no gateway to the AFL for young players.

Thunder simply gives the quality locals with an opportunity to play at a decent level without moving interstate, that's all it is. If it is actually designed as a pathway for players to get into the AFL well it's failing dismally.

I don't think NT Thunder is a pathway for players to reach the AFL at all. Since Thunder's inception how many players have actually been directly drafted from Thunder? Quality team that has had its fair share of ex AFL players play but, certainly no gateway to the AFL for young players.

Thunder simply gives the quality locals with an opportunity to play at a decent level without moving interstate, that's all it is. If it is actually designed as a pathway for players to get into the AFL well it's failing dismally.

Erin Wasley Black is a prime example of this. Talked up strongly as a draft selection in the last couple of drafts but nothing came of it, ended up in the SANFL with West Adelaide in 2015.

Interesting to see what happens with Dan Rioli come the draft

Erin Wasley Black is a prime example of this. Talked up strongly as a draft selection in the last couple of drafts but nothing came of it, ended up in the SANFL with West Adelaide in 2015.

Interesting to see what happens with Dan Rioli come the draft

The NEAFL as a whole doesn't see many drafted.

Over 18yrs old you have to play SANFL, VFL or WAFL it's as simple as that. Thunder FC and NEAFL is quality football but to keep labelling it 'an AFL pathway' is utterly false, and misleading to young players with AFL aspirations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NEAFL as a whole doesn't see many drafted.

Over 18yrs old you have to play SANFL, VFL or WAFL it's as simple as that. Thunder FC and NEAFL is quality football but to keep labelling it 'an AFL pathway' is utterly false, and misleading to young players with AFL aspirations.

"IF YOU took a guess at which club produced the most mature-age draftees from last month's national and rookie drafts, where would you start?
Somewhere in the VFL? Wrong. The WAFL? The SANFL? Wrong and wrong.
How about Redland Football Club, situated 40km east of Brisbane and playing in the ever-improving NEAFL? Correct."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-05/neafl-club-punching-above-its-weight

Maybe you should re-consider your opinions.

Where was your opinion prior to the draft, tosser:rolleyes:. NEAFL is a scrubber of a competition in comparison to VFL, WAFL and SANFL, fact.

I agree the NEAFL is quite a level below what the VFL, WAFL and SANFL standard is but it is a much better system now than what it was previously with the QAFL and Sydney AFL comps for Queensland and NSW/ ACT based teams teams.

I was pleased to see some mature age NEAFL players getting recruited into AFL systems. This year was the first year I took a regular interest in watching NEAFL/ NT Thunder games and there was some quality players of natural ability in the competition in general however it was interspersed with amateur footballers. The gap between the top tier of players and the bottom tier was extremely wide.

I agree the NEAFL is quite a level below what the VFL, WAFL and SANFL standard is but it is a much better system now than what it was previously with the QAFL and Sydney AFL comps for Queensland and NSW/ ACT based teams teams.

I was pleased to see some mature age NEAFL players getting recruited into AFL systems. This year was the first year I took a regular interest in watching NEAFL/ NT Thunder games and there was some quality players of natural ability in the competition in general however it was interspersed with amateur footballers. The gap between the top tier of players and the bottom tier was extremely wide.

I've never said there isn't talent in the NEAFL. I just stated that it's waaaaaay below VFL, WAFL and SANFL. This flog RedV3x wants to bark off after the fact that a handful were drafted out of the competition. My other point is that NT Thunder bash on about being a pathway to the AFL and that's way off the mark. I'm running on facts there, not opinion.

NEAFL is a quality competition in regards to the standard but, the comp is soulless and in Darwin many, if not all, prefer their local comp. And I'm still of the opinion that the best chance for a mature age to be drafted (and actually get solid game time) they should play in the mentioned comps. This idiot that barked off about the handful that were drafted out of the NEAFL, doesn't equate to those numbers happening every year. That's my take on it.

This idiot that barked off about the handful that were drafted out of the NEAFL, doesn't equate to those numbers happening every year. That's my take on it.

Was good to see the number of NEAFL players drafted but it is only one draft year. Anyone sprouting that the NEAFL has a strong draft pedigree needs to check stats, especially at lower age levels as they have largely been mature aged players. One draft will not a drafting pedigree make.

I agree with with your thoughts on Thunder not being a direct AFL drafting pathway as well, Erin Wasley Black is a prime example really. Talked up as a real draft prospect in 2013 and 2014 but bypassed in all 6 drafts in that period. Can argue that the draft has bypassed him at least for now and realising that he joined the SANFL in 2015 in the hope of making a name for himself at that level which is still one of the top AFL feeder state leagues.

That's my take on it.

That's your opinion but it seems to be tainted with vitriol so I have to question your motives.
As other people have stated the NEAFL is far better than the previous setup and the Thunder is also a successful program.
To me it's a win. There are are many other AFL pathways that haven't produced an AFL draftee. Doesn't mean we simply give up.

That's your opinion but it seems to be tainted with vitriol so I have to question your motives.
As other people have stated the NEAFL is far better than the previous setup and the Thunder is also a successful program.
To me it's a win. There are are many other AFL pathways that haven't produced an AFL draftee. Doesn't mean we simply give up.

Motives hahahaha * off. Name 'all' the players that have been directly drafted out of the Thunder program? It's promoted as a pathway for NT players to be drafted......so has it been a success?

Begins tonight on NITV people. NT v the Suns in a replay of Saturday night's game - looks to be a good contest just by looking at scores and form of the Suns AFL listed players in particular Brayden Fiorini and Darcy Macpherson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back