Universal Love Steve Silvagni - List Manager Extraordinaire

Remove this Banner Ad

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Silvagni has already proven his worth in my opinion as he has so far refused to be bullied by opposition clubs, supporters and media.

The whole footballing world is yet again conspiring to force Carlton to hand over it's premium currency for reduced value and finally someone at Carlton has called the bluff and we have already seen the back pedaling.

Last week we were being told to cough up Yarran for pick between 25-35 and this week we've already seen that cut to pick 19.

"the Blues aren't realistic ... ... they'll botch the Yarran trade. Need to realise that, as blisteringly good as the 24-year-old is, there won't be a draft pick much better than No.25 on offer." Damien Barrett

Well done Silvagni for knowing what our players true value is and sticking to it.

Last edited:
I'm really happy about what's happening! We dealt with Geelong and Brisbane with mutual respect and found a win/win/win for all clubs and players. Richmond courted a contracted player in season resulting in him not caring on the field, and then thought they would get a bargain! Well stuff Richmond and Yarran!! Both parties haven't treated us with respect and therefore we will play hardball! Either Richmond coughs up pick 12 or Yarran sits out the season! I'm so happy with this, just to show clubs and players like Yarran, that you can't do what Richmond have tried doing to us! We have fight in us still!

Well done Carlton and SOS!!!

ive been a supporter for more than 40 years. the last 15 years has been the hardest as a supporter. just too many stupid decisions to list. i finally believe we are doing the right thing. i like what sos & trigg are doing and have some excitement again about our future. it wont all be smooth sailing but i like whats happening

Touch early?

I'm not saying he will get the best result, we may end up with a below value draft pick, I'm saying that I approve of the process. Under previous management we would have buckled and agreed that Yarran was worth pick 25. This year we say that we decide what our player is worth not the media and opposition. Funnily enough we have been absolutely spot on so far,

Bell > pick 21
Henderson > first round pick

Will be happy not to let other clubs rob us even if the AFL has brought in a system the may inevitably see that happen with free agency. We have a player totally screwing us here and a club that is nothing more than a lowly thief trying to basically steal him.

We might miss out in the draft but Richmond aren't going anywhere with their trading ability, history shows that the clubs who have success are the ones willing to pay. Don't get me wrong Chris Yarran is going to take an almighty hit from all this. He's set to lose a lot of respect and credibility which holds a lot of weight in the AFL system and also lose a lot of money.

It sends a great message to the players and the other clubs. If they come raiding our players they will have to pay full price for them. If players want to leave us it's going to be tough and we aren't going to do you any favors.

It's a great stance, a real line in the sand moment. I really hope things don't change and we don't fold.

I'm not saying he will get the best result, we may end up with a below value draft pick, I'm saying that I approve of the process. Under previous management we would have buckled and agreed that Yarran was worth pick 25. This year we say that we decide what our player is worth not the media and opposition. Funnily enough we have been absolutely spot on so far,

Bell > pick 21
Henderson > first round pick

Agree to a point.
I like the fact that we aren't being bullied and the fact that their is little noise coming out of the club which I feel is making a "HUGE" difference around the trade table.
"BUT," it will all come down to who we choose with these picks.

Well standing firm on Yarran here certainly sends a message, mostly to the playing group, if you are contracted its on our terms. (Bell's situation is different, compassionate grounds)

Time will tell, but thus far looks good

Still some ways to go obviously but the start is definitely encouraging.

Some people have the audacity to suddenly suggest we're the new Essendon/Dodoro and hard to deal with, but really I think they're just taken aback that suddenly we won't bend over just because they want us to.

**** Richmond and anyone else who think they can still make out like bandits. Big kudos to Geelong and Brissy for being mature and respectful in the dealings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silvagni has already proven his worth in my opinion as he has so far refused to be bullied by opposition clubs, supporters and media.

The whole footballing world is yet again conspiring to force Carlton to hand over it's premium currency for reduced value and finally someone at Carlton has called the bluff and we have already seen the back pedaling.

Last week we were being told to cough up Yarran for pick between 25-35 and this week we've already seen that cut to pick 19.

"the Blues aren't realistic ... ... they'll botch the Yarran trade. Need to realise that, as blisteringly good as the 24-year-old is, there won't be a draft pick much better than No.25 on offer." Damien Barrett

Well done Silvagni for knowing what our players true value is and sticking to it.

all the above make sense if you believe what the media are feeding us.

Henderson: Geelong promised a first rounder - we settled for next year's - I give that a tick with an asterix*
Bell: for pick 21 was a fair enough deal Tom wanted to be closer to his father in sickness - a big loss for us but a fair trade - how much was SOS - dunno.

The mooted bundle trade from GWS for a second round pick - not declared yet- but I like it for depth if nothing else. Plowman and Lamb can play. We get more depth - cheap. Tick if it happens.

Not much being said about possible Menzel trade to Adelaide - Kerridge and 28 may be a good deal but not for fans of 2013/14 Menzel. I haven't rated Menzel since 2013 so I don't care and it may well be SOS and Carlton have been told by Menzel he is unlikely to be at Carlton in 2017 - thus encouraging a trade for something at least - which means Menzel isn't doing a Yarran.

Yarran is a poison chalice SOS has to drink from - or does he? Carlton asking for a first rounder is generous IMHO - Yarran was pick 6 and has played some scintillating football - until his lay off after he laid out Chapman. Shortly afterwards - Richmond started courting Yarran and must have also spoken to Carlton about a possible trade - SOS is so far holding firm on a first rounder as fair compensation - Yarran has put the Club into a bad situation - what we get out of this situation will be an important indicator about how SOS is setting up Carlton as far as future negotiations go - jury is out but I think Yarran has to go and take hi quivering lower lip with him - doubt other carlton senior players want anythign to do with him - which may mean Yarran plays development league - or even better for us he sits out 2016 an we save some decent coin as well as remove a trouble making ingrate.

General direction pretty clear SOS is sticking o a 3 year rebuild scenario - however, in order to really get the Carlton crowd excited - he will have to bring in replacements for Henderson/Yarran type quality - so all eyes and expectations on Tomlinson potential trade. Is there an unexpected other great fit for us we don't know about?

For Carlton - SOS is already demonstrating a different approach and an ability to get (at least) fair compensation for developed players- easily a big improvement on Malthouse era disasters - and an improvement on the random /chaos approach adopted during Ratten era.

Wow going early here we haven't done anything, we are after 4 GWS reserves quality players, and a player who is 3rd rounder at best from the Crows and we are wiling to trade Menzel? Is that something to be proud of?

true . but go easy on the facts you might kill the buzz

true . but go easy on the facts you might kill the buzz
Wow going early here we haven't done anything, we are after 4 GWS reserves quality players, and a player who is 3rd rounder at best from the Crows and we are wiling to trade Menzel? Is that something to be proud of?
In other words jury is still out.

Applauding the process not the result.

Last year we had already announced that we weren't expecting anything for Garlett and Robinson. This year Silvagni is expecting our perceived value of our players and nothing less. He is essentially communicating to the competition and media that we don't care where they rate our players, we wont be persuaded.

I am also enjoying what SOS is doing as it is the only way forward.
We have to remember that these soft overrated players other than Bell are the main reason we are 18th.

These people keep wanting more cash as if it was "an entitlement " and yet there is little or no effort when we are down.

Here's to a great future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back