Test Rugby Wallabies Rugby World Cup discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Phew! Great win. Pocock was unbelievable. Really amazing scrambling defence at the end of the first half and for most of the 2nd.

Weren't in the Wallabies class tonight. Pretty simple.

Nah, I disagree with that. We scored a try off an intercept and then another after a pretty debatable yellow card. That's the match right there. Argentina dominated the 2nd half, dominated most of the stats (a lot more running metres, 13 line breaks to 7 etc), we won it due to our defence and a tiny bit of luck, not due to being in a different class.

Going to be tough to beat the All Blacks though. I think we need them to play a little off their best and we need to have a blinder. I hope Sio is fit.

Phew! Great win. Pocock was unbelievable. Really amazing scrambling defence at the end of the first half and for most of the 2nd.

Nah, I disagree with that. We scored a try off an intercept and then another after a pretty debatable yellow card. That's the match right there. Argentina dominated the 2nd half, dominated most of the stats (a lot more running metres, 13 line breaks to 7 etc), we won it due to our defence and a tiny bit of luck, not due to being in a different class.

Going to be tough to beat the All Blacks though. I think we need them to play a little off their best and we need to have a blinder. I hope Sio is fit.

And Richie McCaw suspended

I love MOM awards. First we had the farce of letting Pommy twitter users vote (no bias there:p) - now we have someone who was probably stuck in a corporate box and looked at the stats in the last 5 mins.

Now AAC did everything he had to do (and he's one of my favourite players) - but gee whiz!
1. First try - get hit on the chest by a perfect 20-metre pass and fall over the line.
2. Second try - repeat.
3. Third try - follow your mate as he runs 50 metres downfield, dodging several players, and breaking tackles. Pick up scraps and fall over the line.

As I said - that's exactly what the winger is there to do. And he's had plenty of games where he's run up and down exactly like that in support, and not even sniffed the ball. It was his day today and good luck to him. But there is no way he was the best, most important, most influential player on the ground. (I would say for Australia, Moore, Genia, Pocock, Fardy, Simmons were all at least as important and good).

I will say again, though - I love AAC - he is a great player. Just not my MOM today.

Very good to make the final and well done boys but the Wallabies have as much chance of beating the All Blacks in Rugby as they do of beating us in AFL.
Well that's just not true. AB's go in deserved hot favourites but we beat them literally 2 games ago. NZ could vs Australia 100 times in AFL and never beat them.

Well that's just not true. AB's go in deserved hot favourites but we beat them literally 2 games ago. NZ could vs Australia 100 times in AFL and never beat them.
Fair enough. Didn't really mean it literally. Just that Rugby is the national football game of NZ. And they're the best in the world by a long way. Having said that, this a very good Wallabies team and I wish them every success. They have played superbly ( with a close call against Scotland) and I wish them all success in the final. Go Wallabies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tired as watching the semi,worth it though.
Wallabys defense was incredible.
The Argys just kept coming and coming but our tackling was superb and the Mitchell run at the end was magnificent.All our tries were great to watch,I still don't understand 80 percent of the rules,I understood the collapsed scrum rule,Argentina used to be bullied in these scrums but no longer.Will be a force soon.
Was doing fistpumps at 5am in the morning lol.
Well played Argentina on a real gutsy effort in the World Cup.

P.S. hope one of my Tiger friends who is a union fan(played and coached it) enjoyed that.

Tired as watching the semi,worth it though.
Argentina used to be bullied in these scrums but no longer.Will be a force soon.

Argies have always been great at scrums. Any side that plays in Buenos Aires gets smashed in the scrums. Including the All Blacks and the Boks.

During the 80s and 90s when Argentina didn't get a lot of internationals, and the players weren't paid enough, many Argie front row forwards were recruited by the bigger nations (just as the Fijians, Samoans and Tongans get cherry-picked now). We had a couple, so did England, so did everybody.

Argentinian scrums are legendary.

Argies have always been great at scrums. Any side that plays in Buenos Aires gets smashed in the scrums. Including the All Blacks and the Boks.

During the 80s and 90s when Argentina didn't get a lot of internationals, and the players weren't paid enough, many Argie front row forwards were recruited by the bigger nations (just as the Fijians, Samoans and Tongans get cherry-picked now). We had a couple, so did England, so did everybody.

Argentinian scrums are legendary.

Topo Rodriguez play for the Pumas then the wallabies in the 70/80 I beleive.

I enjoy Union but they need to change penalty conversions to 2 points
******* stupid that its 4 tries to 0 and yet the argentines were still a chance up until the end

What sort of sport rewards you for getting close to scoring as much as that

It would be like a point in AFL being worth 3 points basically

The argument there is that it is a PENALTY - ie, a sanction against the defending side, who have infringed (either deliberately or accidentally) and prevented the attackers from scoring a try.
If penalties were only one point, defenders would just give away the penalty when the opposition got close to the try line. Score one point - back to the middle - no real harm done.

They've had a few changes over the years. Penalties have always been worth 3 points. Originally tries were worth nothing - zero. What you got for scoring a try was a shot at goal (like the conversion) - a try was 'a try at goal'. You missed it - you scored 0.

Then for a very long time (probably 1900 to sometime in then 70s), a try was worth 3 points, plus the conversion. In the 70s they made it worth 4 points, and in the 90s, 5 points. All to encourage more try-scoring rather than just 'shove it forward and hope for a penalty' as many games had become.

The penalty has to remain some form of deterrent. 3 points seems about right for today's game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back